Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

FURRYe38
Guru

Looks like this will make some people happy:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-NEWSFLASH-Netgear-Disabling-Forced-Auto-Update-on-Upcomin...

@Placesandspaces wrote:
I agree and Netgear should definitely allow the consumer of the Orbi product to determine what firmware they want to keep versus forcing an auto update. Should be one button to click in the firmware update section of the GUI that you can opt out of new updates. That is inexcusable not to allow that. I have seen some posts where people use Telnet or something to block the Orbi updates but I have no idea what Telnet is and I would probably screw things up worse trying to use it.

Message 801 of 809
Paulwhkh
Aspirant

Can I safely skip updates or are they patches?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 802 of 809
globespy
Apprentice

Exactly where is this option to stop FW udpates?
I am on the latest 2.3.1.60 and can't find anything in basic or advanced settings.

Was this just an empty promis on netgear's behalf?

Message 803 of 809
Paulwhkh
Aspirant

There isn’t an option in the home version. You can use a telnet session and modify some parameters to stop the auto update
Message 804 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

FW updates are no longer auto upated after v32. The updates when available and will notify users of the update and it's up to the users to make the update. 

@globespy wrote:

Exactly where is this option to stop FW udpates?
I am on the latest 2.3.1.60 and can't find anything in basic or advanced settings.

Was this just an empty promis on netgear's behalf?

Message 805 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

FW updates are FW updates, when they release, you can read the release notes to see what is included. 

@Paulwhkh wrote:
Can I safely skip updates or are they patches?

Message 806 of 809
MarkManAU
Aspirant

Some can, some cant, some need a factory reset after upgrading to new firmware, try upgrading it will tell you if you cant and if you need to apply another firmware 1st. If you have issues after upgrading do a factory reset and manually reconfigure dont use a saved config. Ive been lucky had no issues doing any firmware upgrades, system has been stable since day 1 with all firmwares.
Message 807 of 809
DougB628
Apprentice

This is confusing - my Orbi is on firmware 2.3.1.60, and this firmware seems to be older than that. There are some hints here and there that this is for the Orbi Pro, but it's not clear. I suggest that whoever is posting these messages make it more clear if this is NOT for the regular Orbi and is for the Orbi Pro.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 808 of 809
Paulwhkh
Aspirant

Perhaps your confusion is because you are in a thread started a year ago when the software was on an earlier version?
Message 809 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7