Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware v2.1.1.16 discussion

JMU1998
Luminary

@sherveyjeff how can you confirm it is connected to wired backhaul? mine shows 0 for attached devices and satellite is not listed , I have 1 satellite and it does NOT show as attached.

Message 251 of 438
Cotedan
Apprentice

I know it’s “wired” through the satellite because in Genie, it shows solid lines instead of dotted. In all other graphs, I see “wired” for things that are absolutely wireless. That’s how I know wireless are attached to the satellite. No speeds are shown tho except for wireless that are connected to the main router. 

Still, just shows  Netgear needs to update the software to show what is connected where, and at what speed. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 252 of 438
sherveyjeff
Apprentice

Look at "Attached Devices" in mgmt console.  Look at the Connected Satelite - status of "Connection Type" will say "Wired" with a cable-end-like symbol next to it.

Message 253 of 438
sherveyjeff
Apprentice

if your satelite doesnt show as attached.... on back of Sat there is a power switch or yank the power cord out for 5 seconds.  That will restart it.   Then check Attached Devices after about 3-4 minutes.

Message 254 of 438
Cotedan
Apprentice

Thanks. All that is done. The satellite shows as wired to the main router. No problem there. 

Wireless devices connected to the main router show up fine with 2.4 or 5. Its the devices that  are connected to the satellite that all show up as wired, no matter if in Genie or through other app means.  I have about 45-50 devices connected at any time so it’s easy to see how many are connected to the satellite but I don’t know at what speed. Just sAys “wired”. 

Message 255 of 438
JMU1998
Luminary

@sherveyjeff I have done that about 4 times, even reset it, even telnet into it and nvram clear still it will NOT show on the main Orbi unit as attached, says 0 satellite attached, funny thing is when I log into satellite it shows 3 devices attached as wireless (several missing) but on the main unit those show as wired but no satellite.. It is hard wired backhaul status missing... why is this version of Firmware so royal messed up?

Message 256 of 438
Blcklab
Apprentice

@robertcdh wrote:

I rolled-back to 2.0.0.74 and my Orbi has not rebooted like before.  Now, it only seems to reboot when I wake my Moto Z Play after a while of inactivity.  My phone is still running Nougat but it has the November security patch.  There are no Oreo devices in my house.

I'm going to try and see if any other devices triggers a reboot.

Has anyone else noticed something similar?  I wonder if it has anything to do with the KRACK WiFi fixes applied to Android and Orbi.

I'm thinking of rolling back too as a stable WiFi is very important for us. Leisure, work plus home security like ring doorbell. How much Krack risk is there rolling back until there's new firmware?

Message 257 of 438
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@Blcklab wrote:

@robertcdh wrote:

I rolled-back to 2.0.0.74 and my Orbi has not rebooted like before.  Now, it only seems to reboot when I wake my Moto Z Play after a while of inactivity.  My phone is still running Nougat but it has the November security patch.  There are no Oreo devices in my house.

I'm going to try and see if any other devices triggers a reboot.

Has anyone else noticed something similar?  I wonder if it has anything to do with the KRACK WiFi fixes applied to Android and Orbi.

I'm thinking of rolling back too as a stable WiFi is very important for us. Leisure, work plus home security like ring doorbell. How much Krack risk is there rolling back until there's new firmware?

I don't think that KRACK is much of a risk at this point. The person attacking you has to be very close to play with your wireless. Chances of that, with so many wireless networks around is very low. Unless you're a celebrity or have a ton of money, or have some really determined people that don't like you :-). 

The thing is, though, I don't believe that auto-flash is in place on the Netgear side at this moment...I'm not seeing any signs of it, and someone else remarked that it's "off" on the Netgear side until after the first of the year. So you can expect that your roll-back of firmware versions will be auto-flashed back to the latest once they turn back on auto-flash on their end. Or maybe they won't turn auto-flash back on? That would be my vote.

Message 258 of 438
Blcklab
Apprentice

Yes there's a thread from a Netgear moderator announcing they've disabled it for time being. I'll watch my system throughout the day and revert back if this continues
Message 259 of 438
KenEsq
Guide

System has become horribly unreliable with multiple reboots daily. I tried complete pin-in resets and setup the router and Sats again, but the crashes continue. We don't have any Oreo devices on our network, 

Sadly, I'm out of the return period on this device and Netgear support has been of no help. 

I've been setting up corporate and home networks since the late 80s and the Orbi is the most unreliable router I've ever owned. 

Update: Well, it appears that the Orbi can now spawn its own satellites. I took a look at the Attached Devices screen and somehow my son's Dell laptop is now considered a satellite. I've never seen that before.

orbi.png

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 260 of 438
robertcdh
Apprentice

I've been on 2.0.0.74 for a few days now and my router has not auto-upgraded to 2.1.1.16. 

It has been rather stable.  I say "rather" because it still occasionally reboots when I wake my Moto Z Play phone.  No other device in the house causes this.

Message 261 of 438
KenEsq
Guide

We have Moto phones as well (Droid Turbo 2) and I have seen reboots when I wake the phone. I've had no similar problems with any other routers.

Message 262 of 438
rawmill
Star

Just rolled back my firmware to 074 from 016.  Netgear has stated that they pulled the new firmware from being auto delivered from their side, so hopefully, this will stick and not be auto updated.  The last few days, I was rebooting every hour or sol

Message 263 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

My OnePlus 3 has been on Oreo since OnePlus released it for my device. I've not seen any issues with my Orbi system when my phone wakes.

Today I updated to the December security patch and still don't see any issues with my Orbi system. I'm baffled by the reports of Oreo devices causing WiFi instability.
Message 264 of 438
JMU1998
Luminary

Just curious if Eero or Velope have similar issue not able to accurately potray what devices are connected to which unit correctly 

Message 265 of 438
Cotedan
Apprentice

I’ve tested the Velop and can’t remember having problems identifying which devices connected where. 2.1.1.16 in Orbi does not identify what speed nor node devices are connected to. 

Wish list for Orbi:

1. Identify to which satellite devices ware connecting

2. signal strength for each device

3. Device map redesigned ... prefer table format because with about 50 devices, info is spread across multiple screens in no particular order. 

4. ability to sort ALL device lists by name, IP, MAC, etc. 

5 ....

Message 266 of 438
robertcdh
Apprentice

My Moto Z Play is not running Oreo. I'm still on Nougat.  I suspect it may have something to do with the fixes for the KRACK vulnerability.  Of course, I could be completely wrong.  😁

Message 267 of 438
webminster
Luminary

The Velop actually did not have a connected device list, if set up in bridged (AP) mode.  As a router it did, but they disabled the device list in AP mode.

Message 268 of 438
orbirick
Apprentice

@robertcdh wrote:

My Moto Z Play is not running Oreo. I'm still on Nougat.  I suspect it may have something to do with the fixes for the KRACK vulnerability.  Of course, I could be completely wrong.  😁

I wondered about that and was a bit nervous about installing the December patch (I believe I was on the September patch prior to this update). But I've seen no evidence of any issues caused by the December security patch with my Orbi system. So far. 😉

According to the debug page, my router has been up for over 6 days straight since I installed it. Now my connected devices all show connected to the Orbi router. Connection type is a mixed bag with some clients showing as connected by wire and some by 5G. A number of the wired connections are wrong as they are things like iPhones and laptops, etc. My iPad Pro shows as a wired connection, for example.

Message 269 of 438
rawmill
Star

After rolling back, uptime of 17 hours and counting, with no WiFi disconnects.  And once again, there is peace in my house and I no longer have the full-time job of caring and feeding of my wireless system.

Message 270 of 438
JMU1998
Luminary

What version did you roll back to? 

Message 271 of 438
rawmill
Star

2.0.0.74.  Updated my satellites first, then the router itself.  Kept everything else the same (Beamforming, MIMO and Fast Roaming on).  

This version also has the view that displays which unit each wireless client is attached to, so that helps in troubleshooting.

Message 272 of 438
sherveyjeff
Apprentice

Day 3 of stability on v2.1.1.16.  The reset of all customizations after applying V2.1.1.16 "factory reset" seemed to work for me.  And Im not using the new Disney Circle option.

Message 273 of 438
Sandspike
Star

Well, when level 2 support rufused to call me back, and this thing was highly unstable, I decided to return it while I am able.

I hope one day to get to a maintenance free, high performance wireless system with wired or wireless backhaul.  It seems Eero and Google are the closest.  I really thought Netgear had it figured out.

Fun test: Anyone that has a PS4, try starting a party chat, then test you connection in the party menu, and see what you get.

I tested my system and 1 other, and regardless of ISP, firmware, wireless or wired, or network configuration.

It is always the same low (2 bars red, ocassionally yellow), and it drops connection.  It drove my sons nuts.

It also made my work VOIP phone ring all the time with no way to answer, no idea why...

With my 2x R7000 running tomato with the same SSID, 100% blue on the PS4 Party chat test.

In the end, deal breakers were:

PS4 connection issues (Mine was wired)

VOIP issues on my work phone

Wireless issues and Reboots that are the core of this thread (I also like to be able to see what my device is doing)

Poor Firmware strategy and testing (Had to learn to go to 2.0 then to 2.1 the hard way)

Lack of advanced configuration options (No custom VPN settings, Ability to turn off auto update)

Lack of support (No L2 call back, 90 day free support, for $300, I should be able to call for 2 years)

Strange things that seem to indicate poor routing coding (Slow speed tests at random, guest wireless taking forever to turn off after command is issued)

Circle (I own the stand alone device, so I don't pay fees, but their implementation not working is concerning)

I may not have unified mesh wireless, but my devices have figured out which AP they prefer and are working.

In the end, all the reasons I started using Tomato in the first place, are the reasons I went back.

It seems that Netgear is a router company trying to be an IOT company and failing.

Many of the IOT companies (Eero and Google) lack the performance, but I bet they will get there.

Ah well, we will get there eventually.  High perrformance, zero touch, secure and constantly updated, with advanced controls and analytics all showing in a clean powerful dashboard, that gives updates in a smart IOT fashion.  Is that so much to ask....lol....yes it is.

Message 274 of 438
Blcklab
Apprentice

To downgrade, do I need to "wipe"/factory reset my router and satellite first? Or just install the older former to the satellite then router over 2.1.1.16?
Message 275 of 438
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7