Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi hardwired satellite dropping connection and switching subnets

alpacafarm
Follower

Orbi hardwired satellite dropping connection and switching subnets

I have the Orbi RBR50 with 2 sattelites.  One of the sattelites is a bit far from the main Orbi with a spotty connection, so I have it hardwired to the Orbi.  The main Orbi is on 192.168.1.1 .  The Sattelite periodically (very often) drops its connection and starts giving out 192.168.9.1 subnet IPs to wifi devices connected to it, preventing internet connections.  Is there a way to prevent the sattelite from doing this, and why does it switch subnets and lose connectivity when it is hardwired to the main Orbi? It's been doing this ever since I got this thing over a year ago.  I have it updated to the latest firmware (V2.5.0.38).

thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
lando786
Aspirant

Re: Orbi hardwired satellite dropping connection and switching subnets

I can't get my satellite to get a decent connection anymore either. It was working fine but started getting random "config sync" status while wireless so I switched to wired. The connection on wired is somehow worse. It just comes on in the UI and randomly disappears. This things a expensive piece of poop.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Is your SSID name separated on the RBR by chance? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Please try a factory reset and setup from scratch with the RBR and RBS. 

@alpacafarm wrote:

I have the Orbi RBR50 with 2 sattelites.  One of the sattelites is a bit far from the main Orbi with a spotty connection, so I have it hardwired to the Orbi.  The main Orbi is on 192.168.1.1 .  The Sattelite periodically (very often) drops its connection and starts giving out 192.168.9.1 subnet IPs to wifi devices connected to it, preventing internet connections.  Is there a way to prevent the sattelite from doing this, and why does it switch subnets and lose connectivity when it is hardwired to the main Orbi? It's been doing this ever since I got this thing over a year ago.  I have it updated to the latest firmware (V2.5.0.38).

thanks

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7