Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi iOS app crashes on open

Magpaca
Follower

Orbi iOS app crashes on open

I was able to get the Orbi and satelitte configured with the iOS app, but it began crashing on startup a couple of hours later. I have tried opening on multiple devices and uninstall and reinstalling with the same results. Anyone run into this or have ideas on how to prevent it from crashing? It goes to dashboard briefly after I see the login screen with admin showing.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 20
resq1diver
Aspirant

Re: Orbi iOS app crashes on open

Just got it, set it up, but now crashes every time. Tried redoing the setup, deleted app, force close app. Still shuts down at either the detection screen or login

Message 2 of 20
Ericp91
Aspirant

I’m having the same issue. Any help would be appreciated.
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 3 of 20
Andrew_Scott
Guide

Perhaps this is a silly question but what happens if you are out of range of your Orbi (e.g. away from home) when you launch the app? I assume it will just report that it can't find an Orbi network but does it at least not crash? I know that's not very helpful but it's fairly simple to try and might help determine if the problem is related to your specific Orbi setup or with the app itself.

Other things to check with any misbehaving iOS app (many of which you've already mentioned):

• check that you have the latest version from the App Store
  • force quit and restart the app
  • reboot your device
  • delete the app and reinstall
  • check that your device is running the latest version of iOS
Message 4 of 20
Profaniter
Tutor

I just got the Netgear Orbi today and experienced the same, it took me ONE hour to finally got everything all set up... I liked how fast and strong it is but I feel like at some point, my phone did see a Wifi bar drop at just a few seconds then it came back strong. 

the app crashed during the setup, it was weird

Message 5 of 20
macdrifter
Aspirant

Same exact story here. The crashing only starts after creating the network and rebooting. I can get as far as the dashboard before it crashes. Can’t add another satellite or guest WiFi. Pretty useless until this is fixed.

Message 6 of 20
jtinnova
Aspirant

I had the same problem.  I had the Orbi network up and running in less than 15 minutes (RBK50 and one RBS50) last night.  Everything was working fine.  Then I tried to look at the settings in the app today and as soon as it would get to the login page.  BAM.  gone.  I deleted the app and reloaded.  Same thing.  I kept trying.  Then after about three or four mor attempts, the app posted a splash screen that said IP address was changed to 10.10.0 to avoid conflict with Internet Service Provider (or something to that effect).  Anyway the 10.10.1.x defalut address space that it used when I created the networ I think is the default for my FiOS router that the RBK50 Orbi router is plugged into.  So it worked but I think it was conflicting with the FiOS router and that was causing the Orbi iOS ap to crash as soon as it tried to log into the Orbi router.  Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 20
bbinette
Aspirant

Add me to the list. Over the last 4-5 days I make it to the main screen then in 1-2 seconds it bumps me out. On both my iPhone 7+ and iPad using the latest system and app software. Please fix this Netgear!

Message 8 of 20
jtinnova
Aspirant

EVERYONE!

Check your IP address space to see if it conflicts with your internet router.  Orbi defaults to 10.10.1.xxx 

This is the same default address range the FiOS router is set to.  Once I changed Orbi to 10.10.2.xxx and solved the conflict, the app stopped crashing.

Message 9 of 20
bbinette
Aspirant

OK - but why would this start happening just recently?

And since you have an Orbi - while I'm familiar with the settings, I'm not that familiar - how do I make this change?  Can you point me exactly where to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Message 10 of 20
Farscape
Guide

Installed an Orbi Pro with 2 satellites several days ago and also installed the Orbi app on an iPhone X (iOS 11.2.6) with no issues.

Tried installing the app on an iPad Pro 9.7” this morning (latest iOS version) and the app crashes after login when it starts searching for the installed Orbi system. Also, tried deleting and reinstall, but still crashes.
Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the iOS version on the iPad? 

@Farscapewrote:
Installed an Orbi Pro with 2 satellites several days ago and also installed the Orbi app on an iPhone X (iOS 11.2.6) with no issues.

Tried installing the app on an iPad Pro 9.7” this morning (latest iOS version) and the app crashes after login when it starts searching for the installed Orbi system. Also, tried deleting and reinstall, but still crashes.

Message 12 of 20
jtinnova
Aspirant

Log into the router.  Go to the Advanced tab.  Expand the "Setup" menu on the left.  Select "LAN Setup".

You should see IP Address set that as the address of your Orbi.  Check the "Use Router as DHCP Server" in the box below.  The Starting and Ending IP Adress should auto populate.

I mistakenly said it was my FioS router conflicting.  It is actually my stupid DirecTV junk hardware in the 10.1.1.x space that was conflicting with the default Orbi addresses.  

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What Mfr and model # ISP modem do you have? 

When setting up the Orbi router, the router will detect any conflicts in IP addressing and make a recommendation and change to something that doesn't confict...

@jtinnovawrote:

Log into the router.  Go to the Advanced tab.  Expand the "Setup" menu on the left.  Select "LAN Setup".

You should see IP Address set that as the address of your Orbi.  Check the "Use Router as DHCP Server" in the box below.  The Starting and Ending IP Adress should auto populate.

I mistakenly said it was my FioS router conflicting.  It is actually my stupid DirecTV junk hardware in the 10.1.1.x space that was conflicting with the default Orbi addresses.  

Message 14 of 20
jtinnova
Aspirant

I know.  The setup software in the Orbi is very sophisticated.  Which is what makes it such a powerful product.  But my guess is that there is a bug in the software that doesn't handle an IP address conflict gracefully AFTER the Orbi has already been through the setup. 

The junk DirecTV wireless gateway is "intermittent" at best.  Meaning a good percentage of the time it doesn't connect to their own wireless set top boxes.  So I think what happend is that when I set up the Orbi, and it was working fine, the DirecTV must have been disconnected from the LAN.  And then a day or two later it reconnected and Orbi started to lose connections.  And when I tried to check Orbi through the app on my iPhone, it would go throught the login and then crash.  Repeatedly.  So that I could never get back to the setup. 

So I uninstalled and reinstalle the app.  Same behavior.  Repeatedly (maybe 20 times)

As I repeatedly attempted to login, a some point a status box popped up on the app with the IP Address conflict in the 10.1.1.xxxx space. 

Ah HA!   so I factory reset everything and when I went throught the Orbi setup I forced it to 10.0.0.xxx.  And that solved it.

Message 15 of 20
jtinnova
Aspirant

The iOS app should probably default to the Orbi router's MAC address when it has mulitple unsuccessful attempts to connect. 

Message 16 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

In most cases the there wouldn't be any conflicts if the router was set up correctly and it handled the conflict with the ISP modem at set up time. 

I presume this is a corner case issue. 

Message 17 of 20
jtinnova
Aspirant

No I wouldn't characterize it that way.  It was set up correctly.  Besides the Orbi I have four (4) wireless access points ( two Netgear R4500s and two Asus RT-AC66Us ) all in AP mode with the same SSIDs.  I bought the Orbi because the other hardware would only support WEP in Repeater Mode and I had an application where I wanted a VOIP phone and there was no hardwire connection back to my network panel and GS324 switch.  So I bought the Orbi because it was perfect for the application.  I plug the IP phone into a little cheap PoE+ switch and I plugged the switch into the Orbi satellite.  So I know networking and how to configure hardware.  I also write software for a living.  So I know what an unhandled exception looks like.  And that is exactly what's happening in the iOS app.  Now there may be other bugs in the iOS app that these other users are experiencing, but they all sound very similar to what happened in my situation.  Hence the suggestion to alter the IP address space settings.

Message 18 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Well adding another layer(s) of wireless APs with the Orbi system is probably not a common configuration for some house houses. So others would or should not see this issue.

Ya, I've done this as well, however the Orbi alone with 1 Satellite is enough for my house. Having two additional APs could cause possible problems.

Enjoy. 

Message 19 of 20
Farscape
Guide

iPad Pro has 11.2.6.

Weird.  Just opened it again (10 hours later) and it was on the initial page looking for the orbi system then "crashed".  Opened the app again and it went to the login page.  Signed in and now it is working.  Now only if the Orbi Pro would stop giving me periodic grief.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7