Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi iOS app?

firesamue
Initiate

Orbi iOS app?

Will the Orbi have its own iOS app separate from Netgrear Genie to manage the network?

I'm curious because I'm not a fan of the current Netgear Genie iOS app due to how outdated it looks visually.
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi iOS app?

Hello firesamue

no app for orbi when you set the orbi up you go to http://orbilogin.com on your mobile devices or your PC.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 11
Uplink01
Star

Cleary the Netgear Genie iOS app hasn't been updated in a long time. It doesn't even scale for iPhone Plus screen sizes. 

I was looking in the app store, and it does seem like Netgear has other apps, like Netgear Up, and that looks like a new app with a nice UI. So hopefully the answer below is just based on an App not being ready yet? 

Message 3 of 11
AniDutta
Apprentice

Does Netgear plan on developing one? Netgear has one of the best products in the market. If you want to make it friendly for the masses( more sales!), development of an app will be a wise business investment.
Message 4 of 11
randye
Star

I personally would like hear their reasoning as why they didn't develop a standalone app to complement the Orbi. Would think that as a competitor in the mesh network market to Luma, Eero, etc. they would step outside of their comfort zone and make something totally awesome.

Orbi so far is great on the hardware side but Software...Netgear step it up. Give the project to an outside agency with some UX chops or send out an RFP and get a few bids.

It shows BIGIT.COM powers the Genie app. I visited the site and its down. Seems like this ship is without a captain.

When/if a 2nd Gen Orbi comes out, if the software abilities continue to lack, I might have to give my money to a company that appreciates a healthy balance of hardware and software.
Message 5 of 11
AniDutta
Apprentice

Randye:
Agree with your comment about developing the software. I've recommended the Orbi to a lot of my friends, and they have all been blown away with the hardware. But the consistent feedback in them adapting the Orbi yet is a lack of a dedicated app.
Message 6 of 11
randye
Star

Just got this from a Netgear Rep directly on the Orbi subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/5gse34/comment/dauz5kx?st=IWDRH9BK&sh=4472a276
Message 7 of 11
AniDutta
Apprentice

Sweet. Hope sooner than later. Thanks for sharing.
Message 8 of 11
AzJazz
Apprentice

Looks like "sooner".

RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 1.4.0.18

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the add-on satellite sync issue.
  • Supports the NETGEAR Orbi app.

😄

Message 9 of 11
firesamue
Initiate
AniDutta
Apprentice

I traded in a Luma wifi system for the Orbi since the Luma hardware didn't provide me the coverage I needed. The Orbi meets my needs. But I've got to say, the Luma app provide so much control for managing the network than the current version of the Orbi app. With the Orbi app only thing that can be done is changing SSID and password. It's missing the following:
1) QoS
2) Parental control
3) Pausing internet
4) setting time limits for devices
5) blocking devices

Netgear has one of the best whole home wifi systems. But it is extremely disappointing for them to release an app that does basically nothing!
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7