× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Orbi keeps droping external VPN connection

PatG25
Star

Orbi keeps droping external VPN connection

Hi All

 

I started working from homme once every couple of weeks and connecting my Windows 10 PC using Cisco AnyConnect VPN 4.7.01076 to my Satellite about 15 feet away. The problem is that my VPN keeps disconnecting / reconnecting constantly. After a couple of weeks of this I gave up and hardwired the entire connection. So now the PC is hardwired via a switch directly to the RBR50. Unfortunately that has not solved the problem that I thought was WiFi related; it is still (very) randomly disconnecting. Might be up for an hour than goes through a connection / disconnection cycle 5 times in 2 minutes. Impossible to work under those conditions. 

 

I have seen a couple of posts on this but no real solution. I don't really know if the issue is by provider (Xfiniti) or the router. Looking to see if anyone else has this issue on a wired connection and what the possible next troubleshooting steps could be.

 

Thanks,

Pat

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi keeps droping external VPN connection

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Is it only VPN that seems to be the problem or do other applications or devices have similar problems? 


What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi keeps droping external VPN connection


@PatG25 wrote:

I started working from homme once every couple of weeks and connecting my Windows 10 PC using Cisco AnyConnect VPN 4.7.01076 to my Satellite about 15 feet away. The problem is that my VPN keeps disconnecting / reconnecting constantly. After a couple of weeks of this I gave up and hardwired the entire connection. So now the PC is hardwired via a switch directly to the RBR50. Unfortunately that has not solved the problem that I thought was WiFi related; it is still (very) randomly disconnecting. Might be up for an hour than goes through a connection / disconnection cycle 5 times in 2 minutes.


My focus would be with Cisco support or my company IT group. It this was a laptop, it would be a useful experiment to see how the VPN holds up at a different location (friend's house, Starbucks, etc.)

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi keeps droping external VPN connection


@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Is it only VPN that seems to be the problem or do other applications or devices have similar problems? 


What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).


Can we get this in a forum sticky note?

Message 4 of 8
PatG25
Star

Re: Orbi keeps droping external VPN connection

My modem is a Motorolla SB6141 that is directly connected to the RBR50. I am running almost the latest firmware; I saw last night that a new release was available that I haven't installed yet. So I am pretty much up to date. My house is big, 4000 square feet but as I have posted the connection to the RBR50 is hardwired. No Wifi invovled. 

 

I am taking the laptop out of the picture; when my daugher comes over and visits she has the exact same laptop / VPN as me (amazing how different companies all run the same stuff). She has absolutely no problem when she connects from her house (differnt Internet provider, different modem / router) but she has huge disconnect problems at my house. I have connected my laptop to my cell phone to take out the modem / router issue and that works fine. I did that once while riding (as a passenger!) in a car and the connection actually more stable than in my house. 

 

However... once in a while I do experience dropouts in service. When going to a website I may see a "Server took too long to respond" error, or the response time seesm unusally long when going to a site. So I don't think it's the VPN but these type of issues could cause the VPN connection to be dropped. Again, don't know if it is the router or Xfiniti. 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi keeps droping external VPN connection

Try some of the suggestion and let us know if anything changes...

 

You can also try a wired PC directly connected to the ISP modem and see if your VPN issues continue or don't. 

Anything is possible with VPN. 

 


@PatG25 wrote:

My modem is a Motorolla SB6141 that is directly connected to the RBR50. I am running almost the latest firmware; I saw last night that a new release was available that I haven't installed yet. So I am pretty much up to date. My house is big, 4000 square feet but as I have posted the connection to the RBR50 is hardwired. No Wifi invovled. 

 

I am taking the laptop out of the picture; when my daugher comes over and visits she has the exact same laptop / VPN as me (amazing how different companies all run the same stuff). She has absolutely no problem when she connects from her house (differnt Internet provider, different modem / router) but she has huge disconnect problems at my house. I have connected my laptop to my cell phone to take out the modem / router issue and that works fine. I did that once while riding (as a passenger!) in a car and the connection actually more stable than in my house. 

 

However... once in a while I do experience dropouts in service. When going to a website I may see a "Server took too long to respond" error, or the response time seesm unusally long when going to a site. So I don't think it's the VPN but these type of issues could cause the VPN connection to be dropped. Again, don't know if it is the router or Xfiniti. 


 

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi keeps droping external VPN connection


@PatG25 wrote:

So now the PC is hardwired via a switch directly to the RBR50. Unfortunately that has not solved the problem that I thought was WiFi related; it is still (very) randomly disconnecting. Might be up for an hour than goes through a connection / disconnection cycle 5 times in 2 minutes. Impossible to work under those conditions. 


I neglected to suggest an experiment that I see @FURRYe38 has mentioned.  Temporarily unplug the Orbi and connect the PC directly to the ISP modem.  (The consequence is that the entire house goes without WiFi and internet, so this is obviously not a long-term solution.)

 

There are posts here and there about Xfinity and Cisco AnyConnect VPN:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Cisco-AnyConnect-VPN-Stopped-working-after-I-got-XFI... 

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Connection-to-Work-VPN-started-dropping-every-1min-5... 

Message 7 of 8
PatG25
Star

Re: Orbi keeps droping external VPN connection

UPDATE

I decided to replace the router functionality of the Orbi and purchased a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X Advanced Gigabit Ethernet and make the Orbi an access point. Right away it seemed that webpages were loading faster. I fired up the VPN yesterday (Friday); it was rock solid until about 1 pm. I thought I had the issue solved; however, then the VPN started dropping again. Not as bad as before, but probalby 12-15 times in 6 hours. Initially I was connected to the west cost connection point; not sure if that makes a difference (I am on the east coast, less people on the system in the west coast).

 

I have the VPN running today (Saturday) without any real issues. It has been running so far for for 7 hours with 4 drops; all within a 4 minte time span. I think that may now elimate the equipment side. It is either a load issue with the VPN (not many people working on Saturday) or Xfiniti may load balance their network and provide less bandwitdh certain times; maybe dropping my signal so the VPN drops off? Not sure, but my next step is to contact Xfiniti. I am holding up very little hope that they will help. 

 

I am also not sure what a "stable" VPN connection is. Is it normal for the connection to disconnect / reconnnect every so often? 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3414 views
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series