Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi loosing Internet Connection

Yld2rob
Luminary

ON .34 Firmware. Devices starting dropping an hour ago 😞 Rebooted. It is back up. Let's see for how long!

Message 76 of 302
fstockel
Star

Damn. Really thought it was a cable issue or pre .34 issue. My WAN connection still keeps dropping on me several times a day. Nothing in the logs about the connection loss but a notice when it comes back up again (~30min perhaps).

Saturday, January 07, 2017 15:31:19
[Internet connected] IP address: 77.xx.xx.xx, Saturday, January 07, 2017 15:26:47

This never happend with my previous router but seems to be normal with this one. Started directly after my router switch. Totally unacceptable (not that fun watch Netflix or HBO with this internet flickering going on).

Message 77 of 302
JeanClaude
Aspirant

I was banging my head againts the wall trying to figure out why my Orbi kept dropping my WiFi signal to the point where I was ready to return it to BestBuy. I was changing all sorts of settings in the administrator console and finally found the solution that worked for me. It was much easier then then I thought.

I found that I had my Satalite unit much too close to my Primary unit which meant that it kept fighting for ownership of which unit will provide the WiFi to my device. When that happens, it ultimatly disconnects from one unit and connects to the other unit and it appears that my WiFi has dropped again. After I moved my Satalite unit further away from my Primary unit, it solved this problem for me. No more WiFi dropping issues. 

Message 78 of 302
JMU1998
Luminary

.16 I have found to be the most stable at the moment you can roll back to it then do factory reset until Netgear release a stable Firmware. 

Message 79 of 302
Yld2rob
Luminary

I rolled back to .16 today. Hopefully that will keep it up. I don't remember any disconnects with that version of firmware. Let's hope the Orbi doesn't do an auto firmware update!

Message 80 of 302
GuyMontag
Initiate

I've been having the same dropped connection issues while using the 1.4.0.34 firmware.

Symptoms:

• Internet drops on wireless only for a few minutes at a time (2-3 times a day).
  • Wired connections continue to work just fine indicating the issue is only with Orbi.

I just rolled back to the 1.4.0.16 firmware. Will report back in a few days with results.

Thanks for posting about this, it really helped me track the issue down.

Is the factory reset necessary after installing new firmware?

Message 81 of 302
Yld2rob
Luminary

Bad new. I rolled back to .16 yesterday and this morning, the router lost connectivity. Had to power cycle. If this continues another couple days this is getting returned!

Message 82 of 302
kennedyd013
Guide

I'm running into the same issues again - seemed to be pretty stable but latest has been bombing out quite a bit. I did see it with .16 a little as well. Essentially what happens is that even though devices are connected (such as a computer or iPad) - and have a DHCP address - it will not be able to get to the Internet. Usually you can just turn off the wireless and turn it back on - and it'll come back up. I've also noticed that computers will sometime lose their DHCP address and have to do the same thing in order to get it again. Last night though, even turning it on/off - it still wouldn't connect. Had to power cycle the router and after that - everything seemed to come back up. 

Seems very sporadic - mostly Apple devices causing it - but very unstable at this point.

Message 83 of 302
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

I really don't understand how this can be firmware. For the 1 that has dissconnections many more don't. I'm gonna throw this out to try. Unplug the sat. Just run on the router for a bit and see if there are any disconnections. If there are make sure beamforming and mimo are disabled just for this experiment. I would try this myself but I'm one that doesn't have problems. I do not have implicit beamforming in all my N devices can fend for themselves. I also don't have mimo turned on. Just stick settings. As a router. Gl.
Message 84 of 302
JMU1998
Luminary

Factory reset not required but I personally recommend it to mitigate any issues and for consistency, this way everytime I upgraded or downgrade I always have done a factor reset to be consistent in my testing results and one less unknown factor to rule out.

Message 85 of 302
dekka007
Apprentice

Today I decided to connect my Apple TV via lan cable to a switch then to the Orbi Router not Sat.

Interestingly enough I noticed 2 drops on internet on the Apple TV even on Lan cable within about 60 mins and a immediate reconnect.

I therefore setup the exact same network switch cables etc. and this time connected it to my R8500 instead of using Orbi.

No Drops of internet connection in 60 mins.

So I am beginning to think there are two issues here.  1.  The wifi drops.   2. The internet drops (Both on Lan and wifi)

Message 86 of 302
dekka007
Apprentice

And just info on the Wifi drops.

Noticed drop on Macbook Pro this morning 100cm away from the main Orbi Router.   At the same time my iphone also dropped the Wifi connection to the Orbi Router.

So it's not a single device issue its dropping multiple devices at the same time. 

Message 87 of 302
thespinner
Initiate

I've suffered from WiFi and Internet drops on both .18 and .34. I'm using the Orbi in AP mode with a Asus AC-RT66U acting as router/DHCP server with WiFi turned off.

Checking the logs on the Orbi I could see that it was reconnecting to the Internet every 12 hours , and that's when the disconnects were happening. The DHCP lease on the Asus is 12 hours.

The problem could be with the Orbi or the Asus but changing the Orbi to a static IP address has solved the issue. No disconnects in 3 days.

Message 88 of 302
Buckaude
Aspirant

Same issue as most folks. I tried changing my mtu 1492. I am on fios and lose connection at least once a day, generally at the same time which is around 3pm. I'll see how it goes with the mtu change.
Message 89 of 302
rhester72
Virtuoso

@Buckaude wrote:
Same issue as most folks. I tried changing my mtu 1492. I am on fios and lose connection at least once a day, generally at the same time which is around 3pm. I'll see how it goes with the mtu change.

If you're determining that the disconnects are happening based on the log entries, I'm not so sure - in AP mode, my Orbi reports internet 'disconnections' each time it reaches out to renew its DHCP lease.  If it's every 24 hours, it's llikely a false alert.

Now if you're *really* losing connectivity (and you can observe it happening), that's different...but surprising.

You shouldn't need to adjust the MTU on FiOS at all, it's not packet-switched.

Rodney

Message 90 of 302
Buckaude
Aspirant

Thanks Rodney. I'll check the log tomorrow and see what it's got. I'll change the mtu back to 1500 too. I got rid of my Verizon router (it was rented) and have been using only the orbi for a few months now. This issue only recently popped up.
Message 91 of 302
thespinner
Initiate

Just an update, still no disconnects after a week (or at least none that anyone in the house has noticed), since changing the Orbi router's IP to static - I'm using the Orbit in AP mode.

Rodney - I appreciate that using log entries to determine disconnects is not the best method. But I was looking at the logs after connectivity was lost (and by lost I mean on all devices). I could see the reconnect log entry (which I'm certain happens because of the DHCP renewing its lease, as you say), and the times on multiple occasions tied in with losing connection. That's as much as I can say.

I also appreciate many people are having disconnects when not in AP mode, but a static IP is worth try if you are in AP mode.

Let's hope Netgear provide another firmware update soon.

Message 92 of 302
GuyMontag
Initiate

Couldn't find a firmware revision that didn't have this problem. Ended up returning Orbi and using MOCA connectors to run my ethernet through the coaxial cables that already exist in my house. Now everything that really needs speed is running at ethernet speeds with a wired connection. Kicks ass. I'm actually kinda glad Orbi made me look for alternate solutions.
Message 93 of 302
JMU1998
Luminary

I have been able to mitigate this to an extent by rolling back to 1.4.0.16 with a factory reset same issue started in 1.4.0.18 and persist in 1.4.0.34 eagerly waiting on next Firmware release with fix.

Message 94 of 302

@JMU1998 wrote:

I have been able to mitigate this to an extent by rolling back to 1.4.0.16 with a factory reset same issue started in 1.4.0.18 and persist in 1.4.0.34 eagerly waiting on next Firmware release with fix.

plz stop spamming the same comments over various threads as many dont have your issue ,  many have no issue at all with the latest fw

Message 95 of 302
Martin_Leach
Initiate

Just to add weight to this conversation - I am having the same problem.  My drops are in the 5-10 seconds range and happen up to 10 times a day.  This is OK most of the time but I work from home and conference calls, webcasts, etc. are totally useless.  I have two networks at home so will solate the problem by joining my other network and monitoring.

Wouldn't it be cool if one of the network equipment providers would provide a decent network monitoring software showing ping speeds, internet availability, up- and down-load speeds, etc so we wouldn't have to use a variety of tools to troubleshoot.

Message 96 of 302
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Any as you were told in other threads, MANY DO have issues.

Message 97 of 302
JMU1998
Luminary

Not trying to spam just "emphasising" the facts and trying to help.

Message 98 of 302
Malik2k1
Star

Hey Guys,

New Orbi user here. Like all of you, I've been having many issues with the orbi dropping internet connections. Having seen this problem on previous routers, when IPV6 is on, I disabled IPV6 and the network seems to be back up and running well.

Hopefully this helps all of you with your issues as it seems to solve dropped internet connections for me. I'll check in again in a few hours to confirm if it holds strong for the day!

Love the device but still figuring out how to make it work well like my previous nighthawk router!
Message 99 of 302
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

NETGEAR is aware of an issue affecting some users where wireless client devices frequently disconnect/reconnect from the Orbi WiFi network. We’re actively working on the issue and hope to have a solution soon.

Thank You

DarrenM

Message 100 of 302
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7