Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi loses WAN internet connectivity and Renew Lease restores connectivity

jwm4
Aspirant

Orbi loses WAN internet connectivity and Renew Lease restores connectivity

Hi everyone.  My Orbi lost its internet connectivity, and I clicked on Renew Lease for the WAN connection and it got connectivity back.  Is there any way to configure the Orbi so that it does this automatically as needed?  I need the Orbi to work reliably even when I am not present to manually renew the lease.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Orbi loses WAN internet connectivity and Renew Lease restores connectivity

Hello @jwm4

Welcome to the community!

If your ISP is Cable, access the admin page and then under Internet Setup select Use Computer MAC Address.

If your ISP is DSL, look for connection mode and set it to Always On. 

Do not forget to Apply the changes and observe your connection. 

Message 2 of 7
loomis1975
Luminary

I wouldn't think there are very many if any Cable ISPs that would still disconnect you randomly if they detected a router Mac Address.  That was the purpose of cloning the computers mac address.

Is this a work around for some other issue now? Like the MAC addresses of the Orbi are too new or something that the ISPs are unsure of and think its a threat?

Message 3 of 7
jwm4
Aspirant

Hi @ElaineM.  I am on cable (specifically Cablevision/Optimum using an Arris TM822 cable modem).  I am trying the "Use Computer MAC Address" now; it seems like it is worth a shot.  With that said, I agree with @loomis1975 like it would be very odd if it does work.  Anyway, I will see if the network seems to be more reliable this way.

Message 4 of 7

its not odd at all , its just some isp's only allow 1 mac address to be registered on their system , which is fine and you have 2 choices

ether

clone the mac address of the previous device that was connected to the cable modem

or

switch of the cable modem for a period of time until the current ip lease time expires and then turn the cable modem back on with only the router connected to the cable modem and all other devices connected behind the router

----------------------

in some cases the isp specifically registers the mac address of cable modem its self and in this case you have to spoof the actual wan mac address of the cable modem onto the router wan interface

----------------------------

the reason some isp's do this is to stop the end user connecting multiple devices to its network and saves the having and paying for such a big subnet for its client base to connect to , eg cost saving measure

pete

Message 5 of 7
jwm4
Aspirant

Hi, @peteytesting.  All those things make sense to me, but none of them seem consistent with what @ElaineM was proposing, which is to clone the MAC address of the computer that I am used to configure the router, which is not the same as cloning the MAC address of the old router.  Also, if that were the issue, it would not explain why it worked at first and also why it worked again after I clicked on Renew Lease.

Message 6 of 7

@jwm4 wrote:

Hi, @peteytesting.  All those things make sense to me, but none of them seem consistent with what @ElaineM was proposing, which is to clone the MAC address of the computer that I am used to configure the router, which is not the same as cloning the MAC address of the old router.  Also, if that were the issue, it would not explain why it worked at first and also why it worked again after I clicked on Renew Lease.

when you clone a mac address its so that what ever is upstream still thinks the same device is connected and not a different one , eg if you had your comp connected to the cable mode you would then clone the comps mac address onto the wan port of the router and connect it , this way the reg servers at the isp have no idea the device has actually changed

pete

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7