Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi mesh wifi vs Centurylink Fiber Optic = Orbi win

jhoff909
Apprentice

Newest firmware seems to help (2.1.5.16) but I'm still not getting gigabit speeds in both directions wired directly to the Orbi router.  Generally get 700/200 or so.

Model: CATRBR50-100NAS|Orbi Premium CAT5e Flat Ethernet Cable
Message 26 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try a factory reset on the RBR. Setup from scratch. Power OFF the ISP modem/ONT for 1 minuted then back on. Be sure to not enable QoS, Traffic Meter, Access Controls, Armor or Circle on the RBR after completing the setup wizard. Be sure to use Ooklas installable speed test app to speed test with. Web page broswers can give inaccurate speed results.Try a different wired PC to compare speeds.

Just took a speed test with my RBR50 loaded with v2.5.1.16:

900Mbps_v2.5.1.16.png

@jhoff909 wrote:

Newest firmware seems to help (2.1.5.16) but I'm still not getting gigabit speeds in both directions wired directly to the Orbi router.  Generally get 700/200 or so.

Message 27 of 43
Retired_Member
Not applicable

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

I would NOT try a factory reset on the RBR as suggested.

NOTE:  A factory reset is necessary when you cannot recover your password.

Message 28 of 43
jhoff909
Apprentice

@Retired_Member wrote:

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Why *not* try a factory reset?  And actually I did try that with the previous firmware and it didn't seem to help at all.

Message 29 of 43
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@jhoff909 wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

Why *not* try a factory reset?  And actually I did try that with the previous firmware and it didn't seem to help at all.

I said I wouldn't ...you do what you choose

Message 30 of 43
Retired_Member
Not applicable

lots of wasted bandwidth................

How Much Speed Do I Really Need?

Here are some general download speed requirements based on everyday online activities:

• Check email and browse the web: 1-5 Mbps minimum
  • Stream HD content: 15-25 Mbps minimum
  • Stream 4K content and play competitive online games: 40-100 Mbps minimum
  • Stream 4K content, play online games, and download very large files: 200+ Mbps minimum
Message 31 of 43
jhoff909
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would try a factory reset on the RBR. Setup from scratch. Power OFF the ISP modem/ONT for 1 minuted then back on. Be sure to not enable QoS, Traffic Meter, Access Controls, Armor or Circle on the RBR after completing the setup wizard. Be sure to use Ooklas installable speed test app to speed test with. Web page broswers can give inaccurate speed results.Try a different wired PC to compare speeds.

Just took a speed test with my RBR50 loaded with v2.5.1.16:

900Mbps_v2.5.1.16.png

@jhoff909 wrote:

Hi Furry - I may try the factory reset.  I am using that same app on the wired, connected computer and I've tried it with 2 different computers with a similar result.  I did try the factory reset with the previous firmware (2.5.1.8 - actually it was a beta firmware 2.5.2.8 or something like that.  hardware was also beta hardware - RBR50v2 hardware although I believe it's the same hardware that eventually got released.  I believe we were testing the software, not the hardware).  What I'm really curious to find out is if *ANYONE* had been able to get gigabit speeds in both directions with PPPoE.  I haven't been able to find any posts that shuggest they have.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 32 of 43
jhoff909
Apprentice

@Retired_Member wrote:

@jhoff909 wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

I was just curious why you said that - I don't think I should ever have to do a factory reset and generally don't.  I'm also not someone who reinstalls Windoz every so often.

Message 33 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

So were you in the beta program for NG? 

Seen various posts with users not being able to attain anything near 900Mpbs on PPPoE services. Something that a reset may not fixd. My ISP is cable and they don't use PPPoE. All DHCP. 

Factory resets are a last resort and valid to help check and clear out any misconfigurations over time. Also any lingering prior FW code that may have not been fully cleared out during a FW update. 

One thing to do is to have a backup configuration to file handy so if a reset is needed, this saves time. 

Any chance you have a friend or family member around where you can test the RBR on a non PPPoE connection? 

@jhoff909 wrote:

Hi Furry - I may try the factory reset.  I am using that same app on the wired, connected computer and I've tried it with 2 different computers with a similar result.  I did try the factory reset with the previous firmware (2.5.1.8 - actually it was a beta firmware 2.5.2.8 or something like that.  hardware was also beta hardware - RBR50v2 hardware although I believe it's the same hardware that eventually got released.  I believe we were testing the software, not the hardware).  What I'm really curious to find out is if *ANYONE* had been able to get gigabit speeds in both directions with PPPoE.  I haven't been able to find any posts that shuggest they have.

Message 34 of 43
jhoff909
Apprentice

@Retired_Member wrote:

lots of wasted bandwidth................

How Much Speed Do I Really Need?

Here are some general download speed requirements based on everyday online activities:

• Check email and browse the web: 1-5 Mbps minimum
  • Stream HD content: 15-25 Mbps minimum
  • Stream 4K content and play competitive online games: 40-100 Mbps minimum
  • Stream 4K content, play online games, and download very large files: 200+ Mbps minimum

I get that and am in general quite happy with what I'm currently getting.  Prior to the most recent firmware update, I was also having wifi issues and connected devices display issues and am thinking that not getting the speeds that I could / should might suggest other issues.

Message 35 of 43
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@jhoff909 wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

@jhoff909 wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

I was just curious why you said that - I don't think I should ever have to do a factory reset and generally don't.  I'm also not someone who reinstalls Windoz every so often.

in the 2 years or so that I've had my Orbi I've never performed a factory reset.  Why....cause I don't screw with it.  I installed it and let it run.  I don't perform manual updates or go looking for trouble.  The Orbi runs fine if you keep things simple and let it run.

Message 36 of 43
jhoff909
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So were you in the beta program for NG? 

Seen various posts with users not being able to attain anything near 900Mpbs on PPPoE services. Something that a reset may not fixd. My ISP is cable and they don't use PPPoE. All DHCP. 

Any chance you have a friend or family member around where you can test the RBR on a non PPPoE connection? 

@jhoff909 wrote:

Yes, I was on a NG beta program via Centercode and have been for years.  I've tested other NG routers (R6300, RE6300) and some Linksys ones (EA8500) too.  I suspect the Orbi is just not up to the task...  I also have Cindy and Vic from Netgear's attention via e-mail - they were helping me with the connected device issues and are interested in the speed issues as well but they have been silent about it of recent.  I'm currently using the Orbi as my router, one RE6300 in my office to provide wired access (I have the extended wireless turned off) to computers and a printer in my office, another RE6300 in my garage running as a regular wifi extender to provide wifi for a wireless security camera.

Message 37 of 43
jhoff909
Apprentice

@Retired_Member wrote:

@jhoff909 wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

@jhoff909 wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

in the 2 years or so that I've had my Orbi I've never performed a factory reset.  Why....cause I don't screw with it.  I installed it and let it run.  I don't perform manual updates or go looking for trouble.  The Orbi runs fine if you keep things simple and let it run.

That makes sense - I recently swiched from Comcast to CL and had to set it up in PPPoE mode which was a bit challenging to get working.  And it isn't optimal (yet).

Message 38 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, kewl. Well something to keep in touch with them about if you are in contact with them. PPPoE has been problematic for years, not only with NG products. ALso see lot of problems with ISP Gateway modems as well. Mostly ATT and Arris BG models. 

@jhoff909 wrote:

@jhoff909 wrote:

Yes, I was on a NG beta program via Centercode and have been for years.  I've tested other NG routers (R6300, RE6300) and some Linksys ones (EA8500) too.  I suspect the Orbi is just not up to the task...  I also have Cindy and Vic from Netgear's attention via e-mail - they were helping me with the connected device issues and are interested in the speed issues as well but they have been silent about it of recent.  I'm currently using the Orbi as my router, one RE6300 in my office to provide wired access (I have the extended wireless turned off) to computers and a printer in my office, another RE6300 in my garage running as a regular wifi extender to provide wifi for a wireless security camera.

Message 39 of 43
jhoff909
Apprentice

I will likely add the C3000Z back in as the router and use the Orbi in AP mode...  just have to have time to do it and not disrupt the network for the rest of the house.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok, kewl. Well something to keep in touch with them about if you are in contact with them. PPPoE has been problematic for years, not only with NG products. ALso see lot of problems with ISP Gateway modems as well. Mostly ATT and Arris BG models. 

@jhoff909 wrote:

@jhoff909 wrote:

Message 40 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how that turns out. 

Message 41 of 43
Toddl3
Aspirant

If you don't have a laptop and just an iPhone, can you do this set up

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 42 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

You can set up any Orbi wifi system using the Orbi app. 

@Toddl3 wrote:

If you don't have a laptop and just an iPhone, can you do this set up

Message 43 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7