× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi network -- IP address conflicts (AC2200/RBK33)

JVK1
Aspirant

Orbi network -- IP address conflicts (AC2200/RBK33)

Hello,
I have several devices in my home using the Orbi router in both wired and wireless connections. For most of the wired devices – Tivo, AppleTV, Mac desktop – I've switched them to static IP addresses because they kept having IP address conflicts; they work great now. However, sometimes with my wireless devices — iPhones, laptops, iPads — I get an IP address conflict. Usually after a device has left the Wifi network or had wifi switched off; I'll see an error message that says "Another device is using this IP address." I'll then have to wait until the router refreshes the DHCP lease and assigns a new IP address.

Is there something in the settings, possibly under 'Advanced', to force the router to expand the IP address range or else automatically apply a new IP address in case of a conflict? I have 16 devices in the house and only 6-7 are wireless -- there should be plenty of room in the IP allocation to handle everything, so how can I preemptively avoid these conflicts? I'm upgrading from my previous router (Spectrum Arri unit) which is now just the modem, but I never had this many IP address conflicts on the old equipment. 

TIA,

JVK

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

@JVK1 wrote:

Hello,
I have several devices in my home using the Orbi router in both wired and wireless connections. For most of the wired devices – Tivo, AppleTV, Mac desktop – I've switched them to static IP addresses because they kept having IP address conflicts; they work great now. However, sometimes with my wireless devices — iPhones, laptops, iPads — I get an IP address conflict. Usually after a device has left the Wifi network or had wifi switched off; I'll see an error message that says "Another device is using this IP address." I'll then have to wait until the router refreshes the DHCP lease and assigns a new IP address.

Is there something in the settings, possibly under 'Advanced', to force the router to expand the IP address range or else automatically apply a new IP address in case of a conflict? I have 16 devices in the house and only 6-7 are wireless -- there should be plenty of room in the IP allocation to handle everything, so how can I preemptively avoid these conflicts? I'm upgrading from my previous router (Spectrum Arri unit) which is now just the modem, but I never had this many IP address conflicts on the old equipment. 

TIA,

JVK

That might be your issue right there. The old device not running properly in modem only/bridge mode. 

What device specifically is it? 

How have you setup the modem only mode? 

Message 2 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@JVK1 wrote:

Is there something in the settings, possibly under 'Advanced', to force the router to expand the IP address range or else automatically apply a new IP address in case of a conflict? I have 16 devices in the house and only 6-7 are wireless -- there should be plenty of room in the IP allocation to handle everything, so how can I preemptively avoid these conflicts?

Yes, indeed.  On the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Setup, LAN Setup there are two features that might help:

• The Orbi's DHCP server can be configured to assign IP addresses from only a portion of the IP subnet.
    For example, the Orbi could be set up to assign addresses from 2-99.  Then you can use "static IP's" on devices from 100-250 (or the reverse).
  • Device "assignment" is what I use instead of static IP's. I put each device MAC address into the table along with the IP address I want it to have.  That way, when I  want to "move them around" I just change the table rather than logging into each device.

Orbi's IP assignment appears to have definite flaws.  It seems to react to DHCP requests in a strange sequence.  Devices contact the DHCP server and say, "can I have IP address 192.168.1.x?" and the Orbi says, "Sure, you had it before, go ahead."  When what it SHOULD be doing is saying, "sorry, but no.  the Boss says you have to use a different IP address from now on."  My technique for forcing a device to change IP addresses when Orbi doesn't force it to is to (a) turn off the device, (b) haul out my old smartphone, (c) set it to a static address that I want the device to quit using, and then power on the device.  It will ask for its old IP and the Orbi will say, "Sorry, that IP is in use right now.  Here, take the IP that I find in this table."

Sorry to rave on.

Message 3 of 13
JVK1
Aspirant

That might be your issue right there. The old device not running properly in modem only/bridge mode. 

It's an ARRIS modem, DG1670. I still have the old Wifi network active so that I can go in there and change the settings, but it's definitely in Bridge mode otherwise I would be getting a bunch of rando IP addresses in the wrong range. Unless there's some advanced setting I'm unaware of, just turninig odd the router fucntion/putting it in bridge mode should be sufficient, no?

JVK

Message 4 of 13
JVK1
Aspirant

OMG thank you!! I thought I was going crazy. That totally sounds like what is happening.

I will definitely implement your suggestions and report back. 

JVK

Message 5 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@JVK1 wrote:

It's an ARRIS modem, DG1670. I still have the old Wifi network active so that I can go in there and change the settings, but it's definitely in Bridge mode otherwise.....

When modems are in "bridge mode" they definitely do not broadcast WiFi.

Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

Agree with @CrimpOn If you have wireless running, its not in bridge mode. 

So you'd be in a double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@JVK1 wrote:

It's an ARRIS modem, DG1670. I still have the old Wifi network active so that I can go in there and change the settings, but it's definitely in Bridge mode otherwise I would be getting a bunch of rando IP addresses in the wrong range. Unless there's some advanced setting I'm unaware of, just turninig odd the router fucntion/putting it in bridge mode should be sufficient, no?

JVK

Message 8 of 13
JVK1
Aspirant

@CrimpOn and @plemans thanks for replying.

FWIW I don't think I'm in a Double NAT. I'm 99% certain I set the Arris modem to the correct setting to disable the routing function ('Bridged' mode on the LAN setup page), and I've been using the Orbi system for months now without serious issue. The only thing that's been happening is this occasional IP address conflict. 

Now, I did leave the old 5Ghz wifi network on (it did not turn off automatically), and there is no internet connection on that network. But are you saying that this other Wifi network -- in such close proximity, could be causing issues?

I just tried logging into the modem and I realized that leaving the wifi on was no help -- I cannot get to the admin page. Even if I plug into the modem directly via ethernet cable and type 192.168.0.1 into a browser it will not connect. It's like it needs an internet connection to fucntion properly.

If you have any thoughst on how to connect to the modem so that I can double-check the NAT settinsg and turn off that extraneous wifi network I'm all ears!

JVK

Message 9 of 13
JVK1
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

Yes, indeed.  On the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Setup, LAN Setup there are two features that might help:

• The Orbi's DHCP server can be configured to assign IP addresses from only a portion of the IP subnet.
    For example, the Orbi could be set up to assign addresses from 2-99.  Then you can use "static IP's" on devices from 100-250 (or the reverse).
  • Device "assignment" is what I use instead of static IP's. I put each device MAC address into the table along with the IP address I want it to have.  That way, when I  want to "move them around" I just change the table rather than logging into each device.

Hey @CrimpOn, I definitely want to implement these options to see if it helps. So under LAN Setup, I would input a smaller IP address range under the "Use Router as DHCP server" checkbox, correct? And by "Device Assignment" do you mean the "Address Reservation" section at the bottom of that page? If so I should probably go ahead and add static IPs for all my wired devices, yes? Right now I only have two computers and a network printer in there but I've got other devices on the network like AppleTV, PS4, TiVo. etc.

Thanks,

JVK

Message 10 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@JVK1 wrote:

by "Device Assignment" do you mean the "Address Reservation" section at the bottom of that page? If so I should probably go ahead and add static IPs for all my wired devices, yes? Right now I only have two computers and a network printer in there but I've got other devices on the network like AppleTV, PS4, TiVo. etc

Yes, that is the place.

Message 11 of 13
Mikey94025
Hero

@JVK1 wrote:

Hello,
I have several devices in my home using the Orbi router in both wired and wireless connections. For most of the wired devices – Tivo, AppleTV, Mac desktop – I've switched them to static IP addresses because they kept having IP address conflicts; they work great now. However, sometimes with my wireless devices — iPhones, laptops, iPads — I get an IP address conflict.

Another suggestion is to stop using static IP addresses and use dynamic IP address assignment for all your devices.  If you let the Orbi assign addresses to everything via DHCP then you shouldn't get any IP address conflicts.  It's only when you mix-and-match when you have to be careful that you don't overlap and assign a static IP address in the range that Orbi will dynamically assign.

Is there a reason that you are assigning static IP addresses?  Sometimes people want a fixed IP that they can type into a browser.  You can still get this by using dynamic assignment and then later, go into Orbi's Advanced...Setup...LAN Setup, press Add, find the device in the list of dynamically assigned IP addresses, select it and press Add.  This will reserve that device to that IP address so even though it is still dynamically assigned Orbi will always give it that same IP address.  Since Orbi is assigning it that IP it will make sure no other device is dynamically assigned the same IP and therefore avoid any IP address conflicts.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I would recommend doing the following for static IP addressed devices. Only set static IP addressed devices like printers, controllers, cameras and NAS to use static IP addressed devices. This is something I use in my configuration. Devices that don't need much or any router management, set static IPs. Other devices like phones, game consoles, PC and laptops and IoT devices which may need router management, use Dynamic IP addressesing with in the DHCP IP address pool. For static IP, yes these need to be outside of the dhcp IP address pool. 

@JVK1 wrote:

I definitely want to implement these options to see if it helps. So under LAN Setup, I would input a smaller IP address range under the "Use Router as DHCP server" checkbox, correct? And by "Device Assignment" do you mean the "Address Reservation" section at the bottom of that page? If so I should probably go ahead and add static IPs for all my wired devices, yes? Right now I only have two computers and a network printer in there but I've got other devices on the network like AppleTV, PS4, TiVo. etc.

Thanks,

JVK

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series