Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi network drops frequently and Satellite showing poor backhaul status

ORBIisJUNK
Aspirant

Orbi network drops frequently and Satellite showing poor backhaul status

Hi,

I have following setup

RBR50 - Setup in basement

RBS50-1 - Setup on the first floor which is above basement

RBS50-2 - Setup on the second floor

I have 500Mbps fiber optics line coming to ISP router and the ISP router is connected to RBR50. Distance between any two units is less than 30 feet and there are no concrete walls in between. All walls are wooden.

2.4 GHz is on channel 11 fixed and 5GHz is on channel 48 fixed.

* root@RBR50:/# config get wan_lease    —> It gives me 750. I have reduced it from 86400.

I have multiple issues here.

1. One of my Satellite shows poor backhaul status no matter where I place it. I changed it place from one room to other and placed it right next to RBR50 but the status remains poor after showing it good for couple of hours after restarting it.

2. The internet is dropping frequently especially between 10 and 11 pm. When I checked the log, I see DoS attack around the same time and right after that attach, it goes down. It happens every single day without exception. The network comes back up in 2-3 mins and sometimes it comes back up within 1 minute also.

3. The internet drops randomly during the daytime with same pattern but there is no specific time.

4. When I upgraded the firmware to 2.5.1.16 recently (on 6/5/2020), It made me crazy by dropping so frequently, I had to go back to older version (2.5.1.8) of firmware. It got better since then but I still have the above problems.

Everytime when I change anything I rest all the devices including ISP router.

This is my second set of this bundle as I had to return the first one to Costco for the same reasons. Please someone help me fixing these issues. This impacts my ability to work from home severely.

TIA,

CAH

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 16
ORBIisJUNK
Aspirant

Re: Orbi network drops frequently and Satellite showing poor backhaul status

Does anyone have any inputs on these issues?

Thanks,

CAH

Message 2 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Basements are not recommended places for wifi routers. Concrete and steel foundations make it hard for wifi signals to travel. This maybe the main cause of your problems as you said you returned another system for same reasons. I would try to get the RBR up on the main floor. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 3 of 16
ORBIisJUNK
Aspirant

Thank you for the response.

I had the same setup and it was working for last 6 months. What can be the reason of showing these issues suddenly?

I have 4 neighbors whose wifi I can see in the available networks.

Thanks,

CAH

Message 4 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Neighbors getting new wifi and causing more noise in the area. Possible working after you got a new system in however again began to fail due to placement in the basement. May work over a small period of time then begin to fail. 

Try changing channels, Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 5 of 16
TimmyTechTV
Tutor

I'm having the same issues after the upgrade, also on 6/5. This .16 firmware is hot trash.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

v16 is working for me. 

Lets hope your other post will be more helpful:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-RBR40-2-5-1-16-keep-disconnecting-and-auto-update-aga...

@TimmyTechTV wrote:
I'm having the same issues after the upgrade, also on 6/5. This .16 firmware is hot trash.

Message 7 of 16
denniss82
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. just upgraded  a   few days ago.

Today the connection started dropping   every 60 seconds. I have tried many things already, nothing works. I have gone back to two different firmwares ,   I have change the wan _lease, I have changed the wires, the power adapter, hard reset a couple of times. Nothing works, Keeps  disconnecting about every minute or so.

Very frustrating.

Any other suggestions?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@denniss82 wrote:

I am having the same issue. just upgraded  a   few days ago.

Today the connection started dropping   every 60 seconds. I have tried many things already, nothing works. I have gone back to two different firmwares ,   I have change the wan _lease, I have changed the wires, the power adapter, hard reset a couple of times. Nothing works, Keeps  disconnecting about every minute or so.

Very frustrating.

Any other suggestions?

Message 9 of 16
denniss82
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

NETGEAR Cable Modem CM600,    router mode

Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I would factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. Power OFF the CM modem for 1 minute then back on. Walk thru the setup wizard. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@denniss82 wrote:

@FURRYe38 

NETGEAR Cable Modem CM600,    router mode

Message 11 of 16
denniss82
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

done  and done. stays the same

took me 5 reconnects to complete the set up,  I skipped the satellite set up.

Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support then. 

@denniss82 wrote:

done  and done. stays the same

took me 5 reconnects to complete the set up,  I skipped the satellite set up.

Message 13 of 16
ORBIisJUNK
Aspirant

@denniss82,

Were you able to fix your problem? I did everything and nothing changed. It is hurting my WFH now. I moved my units and one of the Satellite still shows backhaul status poor. It is the same stellite which was showing poor earlier.

I am started getting frustrated now...

I will call NG support and update if I get something different from them.

Message 14 of 16
denniss82
Aspirant

@ORBIisJUNK
I ended up purchasing a different system, it was on clearance at Walmart for $74. Couldn’t wait anymore for Netgear to get they s..t together and fix what they messed up with the latest firmware update.

I sent a private message to a couple of people from Netgear on the forums, no one replied.

I set up the Linksys Velop system yesterday and it is running perfectly. Setup took about 15 minutes total for the three units.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=533132652
Message 15 of 16
ORBIisJUNK
Aspirant

Thanks @denniss82!

It is not a bad option if NG doesn't fix the issue. I am trying many other things also but they are not working as of now.

Thanks!

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7