Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi outdoor satellite is making clicking noises

Doug6392
Guide

Orbi outdoor satellite is making clicking noises

The satellite is mounted on an outside wall, under an overhang, and has started making a fairly constant clicking noise. It appears from the app to be operating normally, but the noise is distracting. Neither the router nor the other 2 indoor satellites make any kind of noise while operating. Any suggestions?
Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

This happens if you turn OFF the RBSY unit? 

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Doug6392 wrote:
The satellite is mounted on an outside wall, under an overhang, and has started making a fairly constant clicking noise. It appears from the app to be operating normally, but the noise is distracting. Neither the router nor the other 2 indoor satellites make any kind of noise while operating. Any suggestions?

If it is less than 1 year old, I would contact Netgear about a warrenty replacement.

There have been a number of reports of users finding water inside their RBS50Y's.  If you shake it, does it "slosh"?

Message 3 of 8
Doug6392
Guide

No, it happens while the unit is running. Not sure what happens when it's off.
Message 4 of 8
Doug6392
Guide

Purchased 3 years ago, I think, so no dice. Haven't checked for water, but the last time I had it down for system maintenance it was dry. (North wall, so little rain exposure, and only a foot or 2 below the soffit, which protrudes 2-3 feet. Pretty hard for rain to get to it.)
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

So what happens if you turn OFF the RBSY? Does the clicking noise still being heard? Can you take the RBSY into the home where is quite and plug it in there and observe the noise? 

Message 6 of 8
Doug6392
Guide

Sensible troubleshooting steps, for sure. Since it's mounted on a wall about 8' off the ground with security screws, and it's supposed to be near 30°C (without factoring in humidity) I may wait for a cooler day to take it down and try those things. Much appreciate the reply. (BTW, I love in the country at the end of a dead-end road, so it's pretty quiet even outdoors. That's why my wife heard the clicking while we were sitting in our gazebo. 🙂 )
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, will be helpful to know if the noise is heard while closer to the unit. I presume if it is making the noise, when you go to remove it, before you turn it off, if you get close to it, you may hear it. This would be a hardware problem at least if it is doing it and NG would need to be contacted about it. 

@Blanca_O 

@olympos1625 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7