×

Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Re: Orbi rbr50 network components change connection to satellite

Elfnash
Tutor

Orbi rbr50 network components change connection to satellite

some of my devices will switch from the main router to the satellite, causing communication between devices inconsistent. For instance, my lg tv will switch. The. When I mirror my iPhone to play music, it skips and is garbled. Is it normal for the devices to switch connection to the satellite? Is there a way to make sure the tv stays connected to the router instead of the satellite?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi rbr50 network components change connection to satellite


@Elfnash wrote:

some of my devices will switch from the main router to the satellite, causing communication between devices inconsistent. For instance, my lg tv will switch. The. When I mirror my iPhone to play music, it skips and is garbled. Is it normal for the devices to switch connection to the satellite? Is there a way to make sure the tv stays connected to the router instead of the satellite?


Yes and No.  In devices that "move", such as phones, tablets, laptops, networking software in the device is typically programmed to scan the WiFi constantly looking for a better connection and then switch access points when one becomes better than the one it is currently attached to.  This is a part of the 802.11r standard.

 

Devices that are not expected to move, such as tv's, thermostats, security cameras, etc. are typically programmed to search for the best WiFi system and stop looking once they connect.  Having a tv change connections without being powered off and back on is unusual.

 

The only guaranteed method to force a device to a specific access point is an ethernet cable.  Wired devices cannot switch. Alas, physical placement of the access point and tv often makes this impractical.

 

 

Message 2 of 8
Elfnash
Tutor

Re: Orbi rbr50 network components change connection to satellite

Does this mean that every day when I turn the tv on it will search for a connection? Would it be better to leave the tv on all the time?

 

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi rbr50 network components change connection to satellite


@Elfnash wrote:

Does this mean that every day when I turn the tv on it will search for a connection? Would it be better to leave the tv on all the time?


My understanding is that the tv should select the same access point every time. Surely one of them provides a better signal to the tv than the others.  If the tv is selecting different access points, it might be worth gathering some data.  I do not know if the tv provides information about the WiFi signal. (My phone, for example, reports the WiFi band (2.4G or 5G) and the transmit & receive link speeds.)

 

The Orbi "app" provides a little information about the link speed.  Each time after the tv connects, the Orbi should report which access point it is using and the link speed achieved.  Are they similar (or different)?

 

To confess even more, I do not know if a tv being "off" really means OFF.  It might not be displaying a picture or sound, but it could be "alive".

 

This is a real puzzle.

Message 4 of 8
Elfnash
Tutor

Re: Orbi rbr50 network components change connection to satellite

I have not tracked the IP address each time. I guess that might be a clue if it is dismissing the connection and re-establishing a new one. So far the tv is the only device that I have had a problem with. When it switches, the connection between it and my phone when mirroring is messed up. It isn't the phone because it does the same thing with my iPad and iPod. 

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi rbr50 network components change connection to satellite


@Elfnash wrote:

I have not tracked the IP address each time. I guess that might be a clue if it is dismissing the connection and re-establishing a new one. So far the tv is the only device that I have had a problem with. When it switches, the connection between it and my phone when mirroring is messed up. It isn't the phone because it does the same thing with my iPad and iPod. 


The IP address should be the same no matter which access point it connects to.  Orbi has a feature on the web interface to 'reserve' IP addresses for devices.  It is entirely optional.  Some people like to 'know' which IP address each device will have, and use this feature. For example, my thermostat  is 192.168.1.10. It is never any other IP. My front door security camera is 192.168.1.52. and so on.

 

Would you be comfortable sharing which model of tv the phone (and iPad?) are mirroring to?

Message 6 of 8
Elfnash
Tutor

Re: Orbi rbr50 network components change connection to satellite

The tv is an LG 7000 series. I hav not contacted the tv manufacturer.

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi rbr50 network components change connection to satellite

I think we need someone with an iPhone to join the conversation (me being an 'Android Guy').

(confession: I have never 'mirrored' my phone to the tv.  Have a lot to learn. It is so frustrating being 'old'.)

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 707 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7