Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi registered to another user

adamreinhardt
Follower

Orbi registered to another user

I have an Orbi and when I’m trying to use the Orbi app it tells me it’s registered to another user. Not only do I see that this is a common issue, but I don’t get why it’s happening to me now. When I bought it I set it and its satellites up, and didn’t encounter this. No one was registered to it, and I made my own registration that day. Why it’s now acting like that never happened, I don’t know. Im told Darren or maybe one other person can fix this easily and I need resolution asap. I need this for work, daily.
Message 1 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi registered to another user

Message 2 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

@adamreinhardt wrote:
I have an Orbi and when I’m trying to use the Orbi app it tells me it’s registered to another user.

Could you make a screen shot of this error message and post it?

I'm assuming that when you log into https://my.netgear.com with your Netgear ID and password, this product shows up in the list of Registered Products, correct?

I suspect that this situation may be a result of ambiguity in the term "registered".

• Informing Netgear that you have purchased a product on the Netgear web site is one form of registration.
    This action starts the timer for that wonderful "90 days of complimentary support" and the one  year hardware warranty.
  • Setting up the Orbi 'app' to administer a specific Orbi system does not require the router to be officially recorded with Netgear.  When someone connects the Orbi 'app' to a router (locally, on the LAN) the router could be considered registered to the specific Netgear user named that was used to open the Orbi app.  But, oh dear. What if when the Orbi app was first installed, and the user followed the instructions to "Create a New Account", the Netgear user name was entered incorrectly? (even 1 character different is still "different")  Now, when you log into the Orbi app with the Netgear user name spelled correctly, it says, "Not so fast.  This router has already been registered to a different Netgear account."

Your impression is entirely correct.  Only a forum moderator can clear this up.  The method is to send a Private Message (PM) to one of them by clicking on their screen name, such as @KevinLiT  and select the option to Send a Private Message.

Include information that would not be posted on a public forum, such as:

• Who you are and how to reach you.
  • Which specific Orbi system this is (Model and Serial number)
  • When purchased and registered with Netgear.
  • How it seems to be "registered" to a different Netgear account.

They can access the Netgear app database and find what's going on with this specific router.

p.s. It's the weekend. I don't know what staffing Netgear has on the weekends.

Message 3 of 22
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello adamreinhardt,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

Are you still having issues with your Orbi product registration?

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 4 of 22
lmusielak
Aspirant

Hi Kevin, I’m having this issue with a rbr850 router I’m moving to a different location. Someone else set it up at its old location and they are out for military reserve training for the next few months. Need to setup security but can’t because it is already registered. Can you be of assistance?
Message 5 of 22

@lmusielak wrote:
Need to setup security but can’t because it is already registered.

Registered for what?

The standard registration process just covers support and warranty. It has nothing to do with any settings that affect security.

So maybe you can explain what you are trying to achieve that involves "registration".

@lmusielak wrote:
Someone else set it up at its old location and they are out for military reserve training for the next few months.

If they have Internet access, they can unregister by "remote control".

How do I unregister a NETGEAR product from my NETGEAR account? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

more here:

NETGEAR Product Registration FAQ | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 6 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@lmusielak wrote:
Hi Kevin, I’m having this issue with a rbr850 router I’m moving to a different location. Someone else set it up at its old location and they are out for military reserve training for the next few months. Need to setup security but can’t because it is already registered. 

What exactly do you want to achieve? Have done a factory reset to regain the admin access? There is no need to re-register the product. This registration is for pure ownership and warranty purposes. Skip the product registration for the moment in case. 

Message 7 of 22
lmusielak
Aspirant

In the Orbi app, when I click “Security,” a message appears that states “Your router is registered to [email address other person] Login using this account and try again.”
Message 8 of 22
lmusielak
Aspirant

I have no way to contact them while they are at guard duty.
Message 9 of 22

@lmusielak wrote:
In the Orbi app, when I click “Security,” a message appears that states “Your router is registered to [email address other person] Login using this account and try again.”

OK. That is using Anywhere Access?

That is not the same thing as registering for support and warranty.

You may need divine intervention in the shape of a Netgear moderator.

NETGEAR Product Registration FAQ | Answer | NETGEAR Support

In the mean time pretty well everything that you can do with the app, and more, is possible with the browser graphical user interface (GUI).

Message 10 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@lmusielak wrote:

OK. That is using Anywhere Access?

Looks more like this Orbi system was registered with Netgear Armor, thus the Security button does show the access issue. Difficult to help, because of the OP @lmusielak does not have account details available for the Netgear account. And they can't contact the person who configured and registered this system. Have no idea what solution Netgear could offer here, lack of a proxy option for delegating the access.

Message 11 of 22
lmusielak
Aspirant

I know the account email address of the registered user. We did not register with active armor. The person who registered it works for me. I can guarantee we didn’t pay for anything. I’d like the device unregistered so that I can register it to a shared support email address per our SOP.
Message 12 of 22
lmusielak
Aspirant

I have physical possession of the devices. It’s someone unbelievable to me that I can’t factory reset it and register it again. It’s not a mobile device. Rampant theft shouldn’t really be an issue.
Message 13 of 22

@schumaku wrote:

Looks more like this Orbi system was registered with Netgear Armor, thus the Security button does show the access issue.

Well spotted. Hard to tell what was happening given the information in the original message.

It really isn't a case of "Orbi registered to another user" as usually interpreted. More a case of "Orbi registered to Armor".

As to solutions, @lmusielak could try here.

NETGEAR Armor - NETGEAR Communities

Who knows what the person who set this thing up did? Not really a Netgear issue, although its system does seem to be user hostile.

Message 14 of 22

@lmusielak wrote:
We did not register with active armor.

So ignore that message in the app and what happens?

You don't want armor security? Just don't press that button.

I’d like the device unregistered so that I can register it to a shared support email address per our SOP.

Registering for Armor is not related to the question that kicked off this discussion. (The one from @adamreinhardt  that you hijacked.)

Back to your question, you don't want to use Armor, which is Netgear's fancy subscription security system. But you do want to "setup security" and "a shared support email address".

What security is it that you want to setup? I don't recognise the bit about "shared support email address".

There's not much you can do with the app. But you can do a few things with the GUI. So, tell us what you want to achieve and maybe someone can help.

Message 15 of 22
lmusielak
Aspirant

It is 100% not Armor. This is a common issue that usually occurs when people purchase used Orbi equipment. Only a moderator can solve it as it requires removing the previous registration with my.NETGEAR.com. I appreciate everyone’s time and effort in attempting to come up with an answer or say there is no problem/answer. However, that just isn’t correct. There is a problem. It can be solved. I @ the mod who has solved it for others before in my original post.
Message 16 of 22

@lmusielak wrote:
I @ the mod who has solved it for others before in my original post.

Yes, but you shot yourself on the foot there by hijacking an old message, which breaks the community rules.

Better still, the first message in this discussion was six  months old.

Message 17 of 22
lmusielak
Aspirant

@michaelkenward I’m sorry but that just is not correct. I’ve been working with NETGEAR products for decades. I’m having the same problem the OP had. I need a mod to remove the existing my.netgear.com registration. Only NETGEAR can do it and since they changed their support ticketing system to be tied to products registered to your account I can’t even open a ticket with them directly to do it. Ergo, I’m here. I understand there are probably a lot of novice users who come on here and post dumb questions. I’m not one of them. I know what I need and I know it is possible. Thank you for taking the time to respond but unless you are a NETGEAR moderator, you wouldn’t be able to help.
Message 18 of 22

@lmusielak wrote:
I’m sorry but that just is not correct.

What isn't?

If you want to get the attention of a Netgear person, don't join in on a six month old discussion about what could well be a different issue. Start your own conversation.

I’m sorry but that just is not correct. I’ve been working with NETGEAR products for decades.

Yes, but not here it seems. This looks like your first contribution to this place.

Ever heard of PMs?

Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

If you know this person then this person would be able to un-register it from there NG profile here:

https://my.netgear.com/products.aspx

There is a unregister product link at the bottom of each product page.

@lmusielak wrote:
I know the account email address of the registered user. We did not register with active armor. The person who registered it works for me. I can guarantee we didn’t pay for anything. I’d like the device unregistered so that I can register it to a shared support email address per our SOP.

Message 20 of 22
lmusielak
Aspirant

This is my first interaction here. I’ve never had a problem with Netgear products like this before. If I can PM a mod or mod group that would be great.
Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

If you know this person then this person would be able to un-register it from there NG profile here:

https://my.netgear.com/products.aspx

There is a unregister product link at the bottom of each product page.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7