Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi reset

dguilloryjr
Aspirant

Orbi reset

So me and the wife were out of town this week and my kids call and say the internet is out. I talked my daughter through getting things back online, but here's my question:

What makes the Orbi RBR50 do a self reset?

When my daughter facetimed me there was a white ring on the router. I had her log onto my PC and go to the router page, it was asking to go through initial setup! We had to re-enter SSID/Password set questions for forgotten password, etc. We literally went through a full initial setup.

Thoughts ideas? Is there anything I can do to figure out why this happened?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi reset

Could have been a firmware upgrade, or a power surge that cause boot issues, or something else.

Tough to know after the fact

Message 2 of 5
dguilloryjr
Aspirant

Is there a way to turn off the auto updates on a RBR50? I don't see a way to do that but if this was the cause of the issue, I would rather just turn off the auto updates.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

there used to be away and then they took that away and made them all auto-update. I know there was talk of re-enabling the disable auto update but I'm not sure if its rolledout yet

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

There is a way to prevent Netgear routers from updating firmware:

(yes, free.  There is also an option for paid accounts which have more features.)
  • On the paid account, block this URL: http.fw.updates1.netgear.com
    This is described in a forum post:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/se94mxcfzhpmi1o/Prevent Orbi from Updating.pdf?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com...
  • On the router, change the DNS selection for "Domain Name Servers" to "Use These DNS Servers" and put in the IP addresses of OpenDNS.com, which are 208.67. 222.222 and 208.67. 220.220
    (there are also IPv6 addresses for OpenDNS)

Every time the router attempts to connect to Netgear to update firmware, the connection will fail.

There are other methods which involve more time and expense.  For example, a router could be placed upstream of the Orbi which blocks access to Netgear's servers. 

It is probably relevant to point out that the "Terms and Conditions" that we all agreed to when configuring Netgear routers require us to let Netgear update firmware at will:

1. SOFTWARE UPDATES AND UPDATES TO THE PRODUCTS
      Software Updates. By using the Product, You agree to receive all Software Updates and upgrades that NETGEAR sends to the software included in the Product. You specifically agree Your Product may: (i) communicate with NETGEAR servers from time to time to automatically check for available updates, such as bug fixes, critical system updates, patches, enhanced functions, upgrades, missing plug-ins and new versions (collectively, “Software Updates”) and (ii) install the Software Updates. Such Software Updates may be in various forms and are generally provided for the purposes of improving the performance, security and reliability of the Product.

I am not a lawyer (and do not even play one on TV), but it seems to me that one could make a case that Netgear implicitly agrees not to force firmware on a customer that makes their product stop working correctly.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7