Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi router does not recognize satellites connected to the switch

dirceuguerra
Aspirant

Orbi router does not recognize satellites connected to the switch

good morning everyone! I have encountered an annoying problem that has been taking time and I honestly don't know what to do. I've been trying to install a switch (dlink DGS 1008A) for two days on my Orbi system, but whenever I connect a satellite to the switch, it seems that the satellite stops responding. The app shows that it is connected via 5G and shows no wireless connection. My system is configured in an Orbi router (RBR 50) and three satellites (one RBS 50 and two RBS 40) connected at the router. All satellites have a reserved IP. daisy chain option off. Can someone help me? I need to add more ports to the router.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
dirceuguerra
Aspirant

Then the new switch arrived (a TP-Link model) and ... it worked! Apparently the problem was the switch! Thank you all guys!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

how it it connected? 

it should go:

gateway----->wan port on orbi router------>lan port on router to switch------>satellites. 

Message 2 of 10
dirceuguerra
Aspirant

Hi!

It is connected like this:

ISP Modem -----> Orbi internet port (Orbi is in router mode) -----> LAN port on Orbi router to LAN port on switch -----> Orbi Satellite connected at switch's LAN

Model: A6100|WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

what firmware is on the router and on the satellites? 

Have you tried a different switch? 

Message 4 of 10
dirceuguerra
Aspirant

They all are using the latest firmware (V2.5.1.16)

I bought a new switch and it should probably arrive today. But a behavior that I found strange is that if I connect the switch to a free port on some satellite, everything works normally. The problem is when I connect a satellite directly to the switch.

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

I've heard of some of the "green" switches having issues. I've never had an issue and have 2 of them on my network.
Message 6 of 10
dirceuguerra
Aspirant

Yes, I was just reading about green switches. I've never heard of it! And worse: the new switch I bought has this green configuration.

But at the same time, as I said, It's a very strange behavior because I only have problems when I connect satellites. All other devices work fine.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Message 8 of 10
dirceuguerra
Aspirant

Then the new switch arrived (a TP-Link model) and ... it worked! Apparently the problem was the switch! Thank you all guys!
Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working! 

If you mark it as solved it can help the next person with that issue

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation