Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi satellite connection type ‘0’ or ‘unknown’??

ddigler
Aspirant

Orbi satellite connection type ‘0’ or ‘unknown’??

As the topic states, my backhaul quality is shown as ‘good’ for both of my satellites when logged into the router through a browser. Similarly, the Orbi app on my iPhone shows green backhaul status in Network map. In both cases it sounds like I’m in decent shape with the backhaul.

To that point, why does my connection type show as ‘unknown’ in browser or in the case of the Orbi app ’0’? Shouldn’t these be ‘5G’ in all cases?
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi satellite connection type ‘0’ or ‘unknown’??

@ddigler wrote:
To that point, why does my connection type show as ‘unknown’ in browser or in the case of the Orbi app ’0’? Shouldn’t these be ‘5G’ in all cases?

Yes, the Orbi web interface "Attached Devices" should show the satellite connection as 5G with the little WiFi icon.  If everything appears to be working correctly, the question becomes "is it worth the time and effort to investigate/remediate this issue?"

For example, when all else fails, the "last resort" is to get out a paperclip, perform a Factory Reset, and configure the Orbi from scratch.

Ugh.  Disruptive.  Tedious.  And, service is interrupted for everybody while this is going on.

What is the firmware release on the router and satellite?  It is shown in the upper right part of the router web pages, and on the home page of the satellite.  (copy the satellite IP address from the Attached Devices page and browse to http://<ip of satellite>. Same login as for the router. The firmware release appears in the middle of the page.  The latest firmware release for the RBR20/RBS20 is 2.5.1.16

Another check is to enable telnet on the router (using the Orbi debug page: http://orbilogin.net/debut.htm.  Check the box "Enable Telnet", then use a telnet client to connect to the router (same login as web site), enter this command: satelliteinfo  wifi

This is what my Orbi shows:

root@RBR50:/# satelliteinfo wifi
{
"mac address" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FA",
"hop" : "1",
"bridge mac" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FA",
"backhaul conntype" : "5GHz",
"backhaul rssi" : "-67",
"backhaul macaddress" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FD",
"backhaul phytxrate" : "975",
"backhaul phyrxrate" : "877",
"backhaul parentmac" : "A0:04:60:1C:02:39"
}

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What browser are you using? 

@ddigler wrote:
As the topic states, my backhaul quality is shown as ‘good’ for both of my satellites when logged into the router through a browser. Similarly, the Orbi app on my iPhone shows green backhaul status in Network map. In both cases it sounds like I’m in decent shape with the backhaul.

Message 3 of 4
ddigler
Aspirant

All great points. No it’s not worth the reset as everything is working well. Posted it up more as a curiosity thing than anything else. For what it’s worth this morning both sats are showing 5G connection type on the app.

To answer the questions asked, firmware version for the entire set up is V2.5.1.16
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7