Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi satellite just sits there with "Poor" backhaul status when it could make a much better choice

brycarp
Follower

Orbi satellite just sits there with "Poor" backhaul status when it could make a much better choice

RBR40 base, RBS20 satellites.

Admittedly, my main Orbi router, the RBR40 is failing, so I have to power cycle it at least daily these days. So that does introduce "churn" into the mesh system. But then why do satellites just sit there with an extremely poor choice of what to connect to for their backhaul, and never re-evaluate and switch to a better choice??

My mesh system has a satellite that's intended to be an intermediate hop on the way to the most distant satellite. But the most distant satellite is connecting directly to the main router (poorly) and then the intermediate satellite is connecting to the most distant one. Stupid choices! But they just sit there like that.

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi satellite just sits there with "Poor" backhaul status when it could make a much b

@brycarp wrote:

My mesh system has a satellite that's intended to be an intermediate hop on the way to the most distant satellite. But the most distant satellite is connecting directly to the main router (poorly) and then the intermediate satellite is connecting to the most distant one. Stupid choices! But they just sit there like that.

Have you tried uplugging and switching the two RBS20 satellites?

If switching the satellites has not worked, one possible solution is to reattach the satellites in this manner.

• Perform a "Factory Reset" on each satellite and power it off.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 
  • Open the Orbi web interface, Attached Devices page.
    The satellites should show up as not connected and there should be an option to "remove" them.
    The Attached Devices display does not update instantly, so there may be a delay.
    Remove them both.
  • Bring the "close" satellite into the same room with the RBR$0 router and go through the "Add Orbi Satellite" routine found on the Orbi web interface main page (bottom menu item).
    Once the satellite has been added, relocate it to the desired spot.
  • Power up the "far" satellite and use the "sync" button the back to connect it to the "near" satellite.
    You have about two minutes to press the button on each.
    i.e. Press the sync button on the far satellite, then walk briskly to the near satellite and press its button.
    (No running in the house!)
  • See how the Orbi Attached Devices page describes the connections.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi satellite just sits there with "Poor" backhaul status when it could make a much b

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@brycarp wrote:

RBR40 base, RBS20 satellites.

Admittedly, my main Orbi router, the RBR40 is failing, so I have to power cycle it at least daily these days. So that does introduce "churn" into the mesh system. But then why do satellites just sit there with an extremely poor choice of what to connect to for their backhaul, and never re-evaluate and switch to a better choice??

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7