Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi slow file transfer from wireless client to wired client

astrojohn
Tutor

Orbi slow file transfer from wireless client to wired client

New Orbi owner and i'm generally satisfied. I have a PC desktop wirelessly connected to the Orbi on the 5GHz band and when I was using my Asus RT-N66U, I would consistently see 20MBps (that's bytes) upload to a wired desktop. Both PCs are i7 homebuilt machines.  The wireless client is Windows 7 and the wired desktop is running Linux Mint 18.3.  The WIndows 7 machine is one floor below the Orbi router and ths signal is strong. Minimal local congestion on 5GHz.  Downloads from the Internet are limited by AT&T's slow Uverse speeds but every other wireless client is getting all the AT&T can muster.

After installing the Orbi, the best I can manage is around 4MBps client-to-Orbi-to-wired client.  I get the same results if I try to upload to a wired Synolgy NAS so I've ruled out my Linux system.

Any thought? Settings changes? Experiments?

John

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

WMM should be enabled all the time, regardless of media. This keeps the speeds good on wifi. It's mainly for troubleshooting if needed.

Daisy Chaing is for two or more satellites. You can disable it.

@astrojohn wrote:

Since multi-media isn't of much interest to me, I figured turning it off would avoid any kind of QoS functionality (I had it turned off in my Asus) so I turned it off.  That's when the xfer speed dropped considerably.  I re-enabled it and suddenly I'm back to a reasonable rate.  From what I can tell on the hidden web pages, QoS isn't even enabled - or maybe I'm misreading what I'm seeing.  And file xfers should be in the background at lowest priority which is exactly what I don't want.

Re daisy-chaining: the Help states it only applies to a three unit system - I presume they mean three satellites but I could be wrong again!

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Many laptops will not roam automatically and will get stuck to a farther away access point.

Start by ensuring your wireless client is connected to the closest Orbi unit.  Turn WiFi OFF then back ON again on your laptop.  Then look at the WiFi link rate (connection speed) with the Orbi unit.  Your throughput will only be ~50% of the link rate, so if your client is not connecting at a fast rate, you won't see maximum throughput.

In Windows, it takes some digging to look up the link rate. This link may help.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/201842733-How-to-Determine-your-Wi-Fi-Adapter-Speed

Message 2 of 13
astrojohn
Tutor

I thought I had the problem solved. My TP-Link WDN4800 adapter reported 300Mbps transfer speed and a 1GB+ file transfered at 15MBps. 

Tested again today and the adapter reports 54Mbps (with occasional drops to 6Mbps) and is connected in 802.11a mode rather than 802.11n which I expected.  The client is physically located directly under the Orbi main router and the client is connected to it on the 5GHz band. 

FWIW, I have 3 Apple devices, a RING doorbell, Dropcam and a Samsung TV connecting on 5GHz, the same as yesterday when I saw the 300Mbps rate.  Dropcam and TV are not accessing the WiFi and the Apple and RING clients are also mostly quiet.

Although I can see both bands, the Orbi will not let me connect on 2.4GHz, it reconnects on 5.  And the 2.4GHz band is reported as 802.11g by the TP-Link software.  Both signals are equally strong

I tried a laptop running Windows 10 and it also reports the 54Mbps rate.  There's very little activity on 5GHz and the Orbi is overwhelming neighboring WiFi systems.

I'm not sure why I can't force my TP-Link adapter on the PC to connect on the 2.4GHz band, never had a problem with my Asus router. 

Is there a way to kill the obsolete 802.11a mode?

John

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I would ensure the TP-Link adapter has updated FW as well...

Message 4 of 13
astrojohn
Tutor

I doubt that's the problem. I did an experiment with my Asus router and the TP-link adapter connects at 300Mbps just fine.  I also connected a different PC (Inspiron Laptop) and it only connects at 54, also dropping to 6 occasionally.  

Rebooted the Orbi and no difference at all.  I hesitate to do a reset since the damn thing is only 3 days old.

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling the following, Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy chain and Fast Roaming....

I presume the FW was updated? v2.1.4.10?

If so, reset and set up from scratch would be last resort.

Message 6 of 13
astrojohn
Tutor

Ok, somebody 'splain this to me.  WMM unchecked, I get 802.11a on 5Ghz and 802.11g, both 54Mbps.  WMM checked I get 300Mbps, 802.11n on 5Ghz and 802.11g on 2.4GHz. Still can't specifically connect to 2.4GHz but I suppose that's a "feature" of the Orbi.

Geez, this is infuriating!  I'll check again tomorrow and see if it's still working the way I want it to.

John

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

WMM is a form of QoS for wireless.

So did you have WMM disabled before and now it's enabled? It should be enabled by default and enabled most of the time...

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/30833-does-wi-fi-multimedia-wmm-really-do...

Message 8 of 13
astrojohn
Tutor

Since multi-media isn't of much interest to me, I figured turning it off would avoid any kind of QoS functionality (I had it turned off in my Asus) so I turned it off.  That's when the xfer speed dropped considerably.  I re-enabled it and suddenly I'm back to a reasonable rate.  From what I can tell on the hidden web pages, QoS isn't even enabled - or maybe I'm misreading what I'm seeing.  And file xfers should be in the background at lowest priority which is exactly what I don't want.

Re daisy-chaining: the Help states it only applies to a three unit system - I presume they mean three satellites but I could be wrong again!

Message 9 of 13
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

You can (and probably should) have WMM enabled without full-blown QOS being enabled. Not even sure QOS really works, given the state of the web GUI.

Daisy chaining applies to one router plus two or more satellites. It allows the satellites to talk directly to each other without going through the router in cases where the placement of the units makes that prefereable.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

WMM should be enabled all the time, regardless of media. This keeps the speeds good on wifi. It's mainly for troubleshooting if needed.

Daisy Chaing is for two or more satellites. You can disable it.

@astrojohn wrote:

Message 11 of 13
astrojohn
Tutor

Thanks everybody, it seems to be working the way I want it now.  Fingers crossed.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements