Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi - why can't we change channels on satellites?

schumaku
Guru

@ekhalil wrote:

@molec wrote:

Is this the reason why I'm sitting next to one of the satellites still connected to the base station at -65dB and a latency of 3 seconds?

Yes, it's the devices' choice

@molec wrote: 

> By choosing to use the same channel the devices will not need to do too many roaming activities.

but I WANT them to!

Again, it's the devices choice to move or not to move!

What device are we talking about here @molec ? 

There is an information Microsoft ref. Windows 10: WLAN Feature Information. Fast Roaming with 802.11k, 802.11v, and 802.11r (valid similar to almost any other platform) with a nice note:

"Things to note

Not all Windows 10 devices support 802.11k, 802.11v, and 802.11r. The WLAN Radio driver must support these features to enable them to work on Windows 10. Please check with your device manufacturer to determine whether or not your device supports these features. In addition to device-side support, the network (AP Controllers and APs) must also support the features for the experience to work. Please check with your network administrator to see if these features are supported and have been enabled on the network in question.

Windows 10 continues to support Opportunistic Key Caching (OKC) when 802.11r is not available on the device or the network.

All three features require AP-side support and will not work without those features enabled on the APs."

Message 76 of 83
molec
Guide

@schumaku wrote:

@ekhalil wrote:

@molec wrote:

Is this the reason why I'm sitting next to one of the satellites still connected to the base station at -65dB and a latency of 3 seconds?

Yes, it's the devices' choice

@molec wrote: 

> By choosing to use the same channel the devices will not need to do too many roaming activities.

but I WANT them to!

Again, it's the devices choice to move or not to move!

What device are we talking about here @molec ? 

I's a thinkpad X1 carbon bought late 2017. wifi chip:

04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 8265 / 8275 (rev 88)

running recent archlinux

I'm sitting 5 meters from satellite 1. Connected to orbi router about 15 meters away through 3 stone walls. Here's connection info:

wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"temp"
Mode:Managed Frequency:5.18 GHz Access Point: 8C:3B:AD:C2:C0:46
Bit Rate=12 Mb/s Tx-Power=22 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:on
Link Quality=25/70 Signal level=-85 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:9 Invalid misc:493 Missed beacon:0

ping latency is good (3ms), but you can see bit rate dropped to 12 Mb/s and signal is -85dB

a screenshot of the setup is attached

my oldish android phone (nexus 5) is at the same location as the laptop and is connected to satellite 1, so that roamed fine.

when I put laptop into suspend and wake it up, it will connect to satellite 1 (in earlier tests)

Message 77 of 83
molec
Guide

I'm not sure using a different channel on satellite 1 would alleviate the issue. Seems like a workaround to me (for this problem) and the problem here really is the intel chip / linux combo somehow refusing to roam to satellite 1 despite crappy connection.

The *real* reason why I want different channels on the satellites and router is

1.) the routers / satellites are at the sides of the house (inside, of course), facing different neighbors. I can see roughly 2 to 3 neighbor networks from each side of the house (different ones). It's a rural area and the house has a rather large footprint. So naturally (since neighbors tend to select differing channels), each side of the house has a different "optimal" channels to be used there (I use from outdoors). I cannot find a channel that doesn't conflict with a neighbor network on at least one side of the house. I can't ask the neighbors to reduce tx power because they also have not small houses and use single APs, so the have to use a bit of power to cover they hosues / outdoor areas)

2.) internal interference: This is more of a feel-good thing for me since I don't have real data to back up this problem actually has impact, but obviously (as can be seen by my problem description) there are many points in the house where I can see 2 or even 3 of the satellites / router. It just seems more clean to me to use separate channels and I don't really care if my devices keep roaming around in those overlapping areas.

Message 78 of 83
molec
Guide

just to complete problem description (2 posts up), here's connection info after suspend / resume cycling the laptop:

wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"temp"
Mode:Managed Frequency:5.18 GHz Access Point: 8C:3B:AD:C3:0E:7F
Bit Rate=780 Mb/s Tx-Power=22 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:on
Link Quality=46/70 Signal level=-64 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Message 79 of 83
Netvllc2000
Guide

I have set up numerous traditional, consumer and commercial systems. Yes Orbi breaks the rules of channel seperation, however, IT WORKS AMAZING.  I have luxul and I have Orbi x3 in my 4000sqft home. I use a ethernet backhaul.  But all units are on channel 8 ( yes, another rule breaker )   I have six nest cameras uploading to the cloud 24/7, endless family of streaming and pandora playing 24/7 in the background.  My Orbis are FAST and dont crash. 

Message 80 of 83
Netvllc2000
Guide

I just wanted to add my experience with orbeez I have the same model you do three units and they all use the same channel that I can see on my Wi-Fi analyzer. I have 62 devices connected a handful which are Ness cameras streaming uploading all the time to the cloud gigs of data and all products are working flawlessly! As a technician who installs ubiquity and other consumer and retail networks I can tell you the way or the operates is absolutely phenomenal. Not only is it very strong Works indoors and outdoors and none of my products disconnect I will not question the basic laws of physics that say it shouldn't work on all one channel, but it does.
Message 81 of 83
Netvllc2000
Guide

I just wanted to add my experience with Orbi. I have the same model you do three units and they all use the same channel that I can see on my Wi-Fi analyzer. I have 62 devices connected a handful which are Nest cameras streaming uploading all the time to the cloud gigs of data and all products are working flawlessly! I average about 1 TB of network usage per month. As a a/v technician who installs ubiquity and other consumer and retail networks I can tell you the way orbi operates is absolutely phenomenal. Not only is it very strong Works indoors and outdoors and none of my products disconnect I will not question the basic laws of physics that say it shouldn't work on all one channel, but it does.
Message 82 of 83
Netvllc2000
Guide

My experience make differ from others
Message 83 of 83
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 82 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7