Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi wifi disconnects/crashes caused by Google Home and Chromecasts OFFICIAL

D-OveRMinD
Initiate

Orbi wifi disconnects/crashes caused by Google Home and Chromecasts OFFICIAL

Google has officially acknowledged this issue of wifi networks getting killed by way too frequent MDNS packets being sent from their devices that crash various routers.

I will say that I switched to a Linksys after starting to have issues with Orbi late November, and have not had any more issues.  I suppose the robustness of the router to handle such traffic comes into play.

Google acknowledges wifi issues caused by Home and Cast devices.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 5
Gabeloooooo
Guide

Re: Orbi wifi disconnects/crashes caused by Google Home and Chromecasts OFFICIAL

Exact same thing for me, I switched from Orbi to Google Wifi and those issue went away. I have tons of Chromecasts and Homes. Happy to see Google FINALLY acknowledge they screwed up though. Took them long enough!

Message 2 of 5
D-OveRMinD
Initiate

Sure it's a Google problem, technically, but the fact that DNS requests can repeatedly crash this router, and it does NOT crash others, speaks volumes to the build quality of the Orbi.  The reason it took so long to find is because MOST other routers and access points were NOT having this issue, or at the very least, dealt with it more gracefully.  The Orbi, on the other hand.....

I think an even bigger issue is the "support" from Netgear themselves.  It took another vendor, TP-LINK, to get their engineers on it and discover the issue.  Netgear never even acknowledged the TONS of complaints in their forums, nor did they discover it, nor have they provided any updates for it.  Poor...

Message 3 of 5
Gabeloooooo
Guide

Oh I agree 100%. I myself am never going back to NetGear products!

Message 4 of 5
Hydro130
Luminary

I have 5 Google Home devices, and a couple of other Chromecast devices too (soundbar and streaming dongle).  I have not had ANY disconnect issues with my Orbi, so this issue doesn't affect affect all users.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7