Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi wired and wireless backhaul

LoboTommy
Luminary

Orbi wired and wireless backhaul

Actually RBK20 with 3x RBS20.

So, today i wired up one satellite. Since then, the two wireless satelites has gone offline. I tried to sync, tried to set it up from scratch, but nothing

I can not get the two satelites back online....

Ideas?
Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi wired and wireless backhaul

@LoboTommy wrote:
What the heck is daisy chain, and how do I disable it?

Daisy Chain allows a Satellite to connect to another Satellite in a “Daisy Chain” topology instead of a “Star” topology where all Satellites can only connect to the Router (your RBR20). 

You can find this setting when connected to Orbi’s GUI with a browser. Browse to orbilogin.com. 

The setting is found under >> ADVANCED >> Advansed Setup >> Wireless Settings. 

The choice to enable or disable Daisy Chain depends on your setup and how close your Satellites to your Router or other Satellites. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 19

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

Does the other satellites connect via wired back haul if you try using that connection method? 

Message 2 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try disabling the following and see:
..., Daisy Chain, .... 

@LoboTommy I see that you ARE using Daisy Chain in the network diagram that you attached. Do you mean to connect the 2 Satellites by Daisy Chain to the wired Satellite? Are these 2 Satellites closer to the Router or to the wired Satellite?

Message 3 of 19
LoboTommy
Luminary

Message 4 of 19
LoboTommy
Luminary

The satelites jumps around in the network diagram. Sometimes they all go to the router directly, sometimes they connect to the wired one, sometimes the two wireless hangs in a line on each other.

All satelites are approx the same distance to each other. I use mesh not because of my home size, but because of the mix of house from 1880 and 1970. Wi-Fi dies crossing in to the old part of the house.
Message 5 of 19
LoboTommy
Luminary

Here's the router
Message 6 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@LoboTommy wrote:

Daisy Chain allows a Satellite to connect to another Satellite in a “Daisy Chain” topology instead of a “Star” topology where all Satellites can only connect to the Router (your RBR20). 

You can find this setting when connected to Orbi’s GUI with a browser. Browse to orbilogin.com. 

The setting is found under >> ADVANCED >> Advansed Setup >> Wireless Settings. 

The choice to enable or disable Daisy Chain depends on your setup and how close your Satellites to your Router or other Satellites. 

Message 7 of 19
LoboTommy
Luminary

Found it, turned it off, and voila! All satelites came back online. Hopefully stable this time.
Message 8 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@LoboTommy wrote:
Found it, turned it off, and voila! All satelites came back online. Hopefully stable this time.

Glad that things are working now. Good luck!

Message 9 of 19
LoboTommy
Luminary

Actually. Network has been really unstable all through the night. So, today I disconnected the satellite that was wired, and set all three satelites back to wireless, then I let the kid get his ps4 connected with cable directly to the router instead.

It really seems that the mesh do not like that one of the satelites are wired and the rest wireless.

All three satelites wireless = stable network
Message 10 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@LoboTommy wrote:
Actually. Network has been really unstable all through the night. So, today I disconnected the satellite that was wired, and set all three satelites back to wireless, then I let the kid get his ps4 connected with cable directly to the router instead.

It really seems that the mesh do not like that one of the satelites are wired and the rest wireless.

All three satelites wireless = stable network

Good observation. 

I also think that Orbi still have some issues with LAN ports handling. This can be one of those issues.

I have one wired Satellite and it's really rock solid, no issues what so ever with wired backhaul. But may be as you said, there might be some issues when you combine wired with wirelsee backhaul.

Message 11 of 19
LoboTommy
Luminary

Yes, seems you are right there. The satelite that was wired was, as you put it, rock solid. But the two wireless went crazy... been connected 24 hours with only wireless no ws, and no brakedowns.
Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What setting do you have currently for Daisy Chain? 

When you had the one wired satellite connected was Daisy Chain check marked as enabled or was the check mark removed? 

@LoboTommy wrote:
Yes, seems you are right there. The satelite that was wired was, as you put it, rock solid. But the two wireless went crazy... been connected 24 hours with only wireless no ws, and no brakedowns.

Message 13 of 19
LoboTommy
Luminary

Currently daisy chain is on - all wifi backhaul. And stable.

When I connected one satelite via cable, I tried both settings, with same issues. The two wireless satelites kept on logging on and off, loosing connection, flashing all sort of lights - Amber blue and red. Longest stable period was about 10 minutes online.

So it's definitely an issue mixing cable and wireless backhaul.
Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

ON meaing you have DS checked? If so, it's actually disabled if your using v210 FW. 

Ya I presume if you have tried checked or uncheck, there are issues. 

I would log a support ticket here and let NG know about it:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@LoboTommy wrote:
Currently daisy chain is on - all wifi backhaul. And stable.

When I connected one satelite via cable, I tried both settings, with same issues. The two wireless satelites kept on logging on and off, loosing connection, flashing all sort of lights - Amber blue and red. Longest stable period was about 10 minutes online.

So it's definitely an issue mixing cable and wireless backhaul.

Message 15 of 19
LoboTommy
Luminary

I have had a long chat with support reporting my findings. Thanx for your help.
Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully this will get fixed in a FW update. 

Good Luck. 

Message 17 of 19
LoboTommy
Luminary

Yeah. They are going to try to replicate the issue in their lab.
Hopefully I uncovered a glitch
Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Keep on them. Let us know if you hear anything. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7