Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi with Arris SBG6900-AC

P810
Aspirant

Orbi with Arris SBG6900-AC

I am looking at getting an Orbi system for my house. I have an Arris SBG6900-AC modem/router currently. Is the Orbi compatible with this device? Will the Arris and the Orbi each function as a router/access point? Or will the Arris function only as a modem and the Orbi as the router? I’m new to mesh networks. Any and all input appreciated.
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi with Arris SBG6900-AC

3 options, You can use the Arris modem in router mode and use it's DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets and use the Orbi router in routermode. Or Change the Orbi router to AP mode while using the modem in router mode or put the modem in transparent bridge mode and use the Orbi router in router mode. 

Message 2 of 6
P810
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. I am pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff, and I can only understand two distinct options out of the three you mentioned. The first being "use the orbi in AP mode" and the second being "use the orbi in router mode." Could you explain the third option in laymen’s terms?

For the orbi in AP mode vs router mode, what is the difference in functionality? Does the first Orbi need a wired connection to the modem/router in each mode? Or do each function as satellites? Also, do each of these options create one continuous “mesh” network? Any other info you can give me on the difference other than the specific questions I asked would be appreciated. Thanks

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The 3rd option is that you have two routers on the same line, some modems have be bridged to disable the router funtion on the modem thus passing along non router mode traffic from the modem to the Orbi router, thus getting a public IP address instead of a private IP address on the Orbi router. This makes having two routers on same line down to one which is preferred.

AP means that the system only provides wireless connections for your devices. Router mode means that the router will router traffic and manage your devices and there are additonal features that can be used in router most, which most are disabled if you use AP mode. The Orbi Router always needs a wired connection to the ISP modem. The Satellites need a wireless onnection to the Orbi router, or you can use lan cable to connect them to the Orbi router. Either way the system will provide wireless coverage for your devices throughout your home.

Recommended distances between router and satellite placement, 30-40feet min.

@P810 wrote:

Thanks for the response. I am pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff, and I can only understand two distinct options out of the three you mentioned. The first being "use the orbi in AP mode" and the second being "use the orbi in router mode." Could you explain the third option in laymen’s terms?

For the orbi in AP mode vs router mode, what is the difference in functionality? Does the first Orbi need a wired connection to the modem/router in each mode? Or do each function as satellites? Also, do each of these options create one continuous “mesh” network? Any other info you can give me on the difference other than the specific questions I asked would be appreciated. Thanks

Message 4 of 6
P810
Aspirant

Okay, now I think I understand the options. Which of the three would you recommend? 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Bridge the modem fully. So you can use the Orbi router as a router and use it's router features.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7