× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi with EdgerouterX - can I use it like a switch?

malikben9
Follower

Orbi with EdgerouterX - can I use it like a switch?

Recently installed an EdgerouterX to use with my Orbi mesh (1 host, 2 satellites) and before I change it over to AP mode I was curious to know if it could be used like a switch instead of a router. I ran out of ports on the EdgerouterX and was hoping to plug in a few more devices to the Orbi instead. Is this possible? Any potential problems?

Even if it won't act like a switch, is there an issue with leaving it in router mode so that the router-dependent features can still be used?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi with EdgerouterX - can I use it like a switch?

Not really, while in router mode, there will be routing of traffic being handled by the RBR. To make it work like a switch, the RBR would need to be in AP mode. 

You can use the RBR in router mode, however if you have a router in front of this, this will be a double NAT condition. To help with this, if your host router has a DMZ, reserve an IP address for the RBR ON the host router and input this IP address in to the host routers DMZ. This helps with the double Nat issue. 

To make things easier as well, install a GB LAN switch after the host router to add additional ports. They come in 5 ports all the way up to 48. Most are fairly expensive. Just got two GS105s and 1 GS 108 in for $65 for the set. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@malikben9 wrote:

Recently installed an EdgerouterX to use with my Orbi mesh (1 host, 2 satellites) and before I change it over to AP mode I was curious to know if it could be used like a switch instead of a router. I ran out of ports on the EdgerouterX and was hoping to plug in a few more devices to the Orbi instead. Is this possible? Any potential problems?

Even if it won't act like a switch, is there an issue with leaving it in router mode so that the router-dependent features can still be used?

Installing an EdgerouterX in front of the Orbi was probably done with some specific purpose in mind. (Having two separate ISP connections is one possibility, but there are probably lots I have not thought of.)

@FURRYe38is correct.  If the Orbi is put into Access Point (AP) mode, then the EdgerouterX will control one single IP address space and all devices connected to the network will be able to communicate with all other devices.  Keeping the Orbi in router mode means that devices connected to the Orbi will be in a separate address space. Whatever router functions the Orbi has will apply only to devices connected to the Orbi and not to devices connected directly to the EdgerouterX.  I do not see that putting the Orbi into a DMZ will help with the "two IP spaces" issues.

AP mode.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

DMZ will help with double NAT issues if the Orbi is in router mode with the Edge router. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series