Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi with Google Fiber Network Box issues

Nemothewhale
Tutor

Orbi with Google Fiber Network Box issues

Setup:
Google Fiber network box providing DHCP
Orbi RBR40 Router with Ethernet going from an open port on the back of the fiber box to the internet port of the Orbi
Orbi Router in AP mode
2 Satellites
Google Fiber wifi turned off

I'm getting a noticeable lag whenever i'm trying to load pages using the orbi wifi. I will click on a link on a page and it will hang there for 3 or 4 seconds before it starts to load. Once it starts loading it loads very quickly. This goes away whenever I switch to the google fiber wifi. Speed tests are coming back great with 6ms ping and 300 up/down on wifi and 950 up/down wired. Any tips?
Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi with Google Fiber Network Box issues

Unfortuneately no. The WAN port and Top LED behavior seems to be tied together, even in AP mode when it shouldn't be IMO.

There are no controls over the top led behavior.

If the ISP ONT has a DMZ, you could possbilby change back to Router mode on the Orbi router and what ever the router gets from the ONT for it's IP address on the WAN port, input this into the ONTs DMZ. I would set up a reservation on the ONT for the Orbi routers IP address. Then this would change the behavior of the top LED. Would be OFF if the connection was good.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using one of the LAN ports in back between the Orbi router and Fiber Router.

Besure that Daisy Chain is disabled on the Orbi router.

What FW are you currently using?

Are you seeing this lag problem when your direcly connected to the Orbi router or the satellites?

Try testing LAN cable connection directly with the Orbi router then with a Satellite.

Message 2 of 6
Nemothewhale
Tutor

You fixed it! I took the ethernet cable from the WAN port on the orbi and put it in an open ethernet port. I'm not getting the lag anymore after doing that.

But now the Orbi is emitting a magenta light from the top. Any way to turn that off?

Thanks!

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Unfortuneately no. The WAN port and Top LED behavior seems to be tied together, even in AP mode when it shouldn't be IMO.

There are no controls over the top led behavior.

If the ISP ONT has a DMZ, you could possbilby change back to Router mode on the Orbi router and what ever the router gets from the ONT for it's IP address on the WAN port, input this into the ONTs DMZ. I would set up a reservation on the ONT for the Orbi routers IP address. Then this would change the behavior of the top LED. Would be OFF if the connection was good.

Message 4 of 6
Nemothewhale
Tutor

Well shoot. I guess i'll have to use some white electrical tape. Smiley Tongue

Anyways thanks for your help!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Just be sure not to fully close off the top portion of the routers ventilation.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7