Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi with Xfinity

Rolater
Follower

Orbi with Xfinity

I have xfinity service. Currently renting XB6 modem / router. I have it in bridge mode. Orbi is in Router mode and I have two satellites. Question: given above does orbi have to be in router mode or what happens if I change it to AP mode?
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi with Xfinity

If the ISP modem is bridged fully the Orbi router needs to be the main router as the ISP services need to have NAT control and DHCP services which would be provided by the Orbi router in Router mode. AP mode disables router and DHCP services and only acts as a pass thru for traffic from wireless clients that connect to it. This mode needs a router and DHCP services.

@Rolaterwrote:
I have xfinity service. Currently renting XB6 modem / router. I have it in bridge mode. Orbi is in Router mode and I have two satellites. Question: given above does orbi have to be in router mode or what happens if I change it to AP mode?

Message 2 of 4
FightingFurball
Aspirant

To answer your specific question, you need to have Orbi in router mode if the Xfinity modem is in Bridge Mode because you need Orbi to handle all of the wireless connections and IP assignments.. I am not sure what would happen if you then set Orbi to AP mode but I suspect that you would not be able to connect any devices to the internet.

I just replaced my old modem with the Xfinity TG1682G modem/router and I am keeping both Xfinity and Orbi in Router mode.  This means I can wirelessly connect to either component.  I may eventually change Xfinity to Bridge Mode but right now, with all of the Orbi reboot issues, I want to have another way to the internet if Orbi is misbehaving.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you have a modem router thats not bridged and using the Orbi router, you should use the modems DMZ. This will help since your in a double NAT condition and maybe a factory in the Orbi router system notworking right. Or use the Orbi in AP mode if your not going to bridge the ISP modem/router combol See my suggestions to the OP for options to use the Orbi system in. Same thing applies to your configuration. 

You should also check on making sure our ISP modem is up to date. It's a Intel based modem which has a few known vulnerabilities:

http://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems

@FightingFurballwrote:

To answer your specific question, you need to have Orbi in router mode if the Xfinity modem is in Bridge Mode because you need Orbi to handle all of the wireless connections and IP assignments.. I am not sure what would happen if you then set Orbi to AP mode but I suspect that you would not be able to connect any devices to the internet.

I just replaced my old modem with the Xfinity TG1682G modem/router and I am keeping both Xfinity and Orbi in Router mode.  This means I can wirelessly connect to either component.  I may eventually change Xfinity to Bridge Mode but right now, with all of the Orbi reboot issues, I want to have another way to the internet if Orbi is misbehaving.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7