Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Email Notification is not working on Orbi Router

leojuang
Aspirant

Orbi

I have one Synology NAS DS918+ in local network (LAN side) and insntalled mail server. The SMTP 25 port forwarding has been configured on Orbi router and no problem on daily mail traffic. Try to configure router to send log to mail server on my NAS but occurred failure.

The failure message is "The specified port(s) are being used by other configuration. Please check your configuration of USB Readyshare, Remote Management, Port Forwarding, Port Triggering, UPnP Port Mapping table, RIP and Internet connection type. "

Try to disable the 25 port forwarding and send mail to gmail. The result is working. No idea why the notificaiton CAN NOT be sent to SMTP server via port forwarding.

Message 1 of 6
antinode
Guru

Re: Orbi

> I have one Synology NAS DS918+ in local network (LAN side) and
> insntalled mail server. [...]

"installed mail server"?  On the NAS?  Like this?:

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Collaboration/How_to_set_up_MailPlus_S...

Do you intend to use it as a general-purpose mail server which
communicates with the outside world, or is it for only your router log
files, or what?

> [...] The SMTP 25 port forwarding has been configured on Orbi router
> [...]

Actual port-forwarding rule(s)?

> and no problem on daily mail traffic. [...]

What kind of "daily mail traffic"?  You need port forwarding only if
you're running your own e-mail (SMTP) server, and you need it to accept
e-mail from the outside world.  Is that really what you want?  You don't
need port forwarding to handle e-mail between systems on your LAN, or to
communicate with external e-mail servers like Gmail.

> Try to configure router to send log to mail server on my NAS but
> occurred failure.

"Try" how, exactly?  As usual, showing actual actions with their
actual results (error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful
than vague descriptions or interpretations.

> The failure message is "The specified port(s) are being used by other
> configuration. [...]

You shouldn't expect the router to forward port 25 to more than one
destination.  (And it's not yet clear that you really want any port
forwarding.)

> [...] Try to disable the 25 port forwarding and send mail to gmail.
> The result is working.

Probably because you don't need port forwarding to communicate with
external e-mail servers like Gmail.

> [...] No idea why the notificaiton CAN NOT be sent to SMTP server via
> port forwarding.

I have no idea how your "SMTP server" is configured, or why, or what
you're doing generally.

It might help if you began again, and explained exactly what you want
to do, instead of asking how to implement some particular "solution" to
what you think the actual problem is.

Message 2 of 6

Re: Orbi

Your subject says "Orbi". Your message is about a Synology NAS.

Which are you asking to send the logs?

If there is an Orbi in there somewhere,  you might get better replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

Message 3 of 6
leojuang
Aspirant

Thanks for reply. Let me have simple draw about the connection.

private IP   <----------- | ------------>  pubic IP

[ Synology NAS ] ----------------------------------------------- [ Netgear Orbi Router ] ---------------------------- [ Internet ]

Mail Server  <------- port forward to private IP 25 port  <------------   |   connect pubic IP 25 port  <----------- External mail server

smtp.user.idv

You're right. I configured MailPlus server on my NAS as URL you provided. Also configured port forwarding on Orbi Router to forward public IP 25 port to private IP 25 port. for example, the FQDN of Mail Server is smtp.user.idv and mailbox is admin@user.idv. The email exchange between external SMTP server and my Mail Server on NAS are working well. The mailbox admin@user.idv can get email from gmail or other mail box.

Loign to Orbi router web console. Select Advanced -> Seucrity -> E-mail. Check Turn E-mail Notification On. Input Primary E-mail box: admin@user.idv, YOUR outgoining mail serversmtp.user.idv, port is 25 and input authenticaion. Then, "Apply" the setting and got the following error message.

"The specified port(s) are being used by other configuration. Please check your configuration of USB Readyshare, Remote Management, Port Forwarding, Port Triggering, UPnP Port Mapping table, RIP and Internet connection type. "

The emial notification settings CAN NOT be applied on Orbi Router.

Hopefully it's clear.

thanks.

Message 4 of 6

@leojuang wrote:

Hopefully it's clear.

Not really. I only know about setting up the email logs on the Orbi device itself and separately on my NAS devices. I am out of my depth when it comes to interactions between routers and NAS boxes.

My experience on Orbi and Netgear devices is that a lot depends on the smtp server and how it responds. Some smtp servers give no problems. For example, I use smtp-mail.outlook.com and gmail.com . (Anyone can set up a free account on those.) Some routers work with the Outlook server, while others prefer gmail. I have tried others lately.

Message 5 of 6
leojuang
Aspirant

Per situation you menitoned, setup the SMTP to free acount such like outlook.com, gmail.com. The result of those SMPT server are fine becuase they are on Internet. The Orbi router no problem on connect to them via port 25, 465 or 587.

The path of conneciton is [Orbi Router] -----> Connenct to SMTP in Internet with port 25, 465 or 587 

******** The result will be NO PROBLEM if you try more SMTP server in Internet. ********

In my environment, the target SMTP server is in my private LAN as folliwng path and connect via port forwarding.

[ SMTP in NAS (192.168.1.x) ]  <---------> [ Orbi Router ] --------> Connect to port 25, 465 or 587 of public FQDN of my SMTP 

^                                                                                                                                                                 |

|------------------------------------  [ Orbi foward 25, 465 or 587]  <--------------------------------------   

The problem is the APPLY button on web page of email notificaiton won't be successful if port forwarding is configured on Orbi Router.

I'm trying manually configure for email notificaion via telnet of debug mode. Perhaps, it's just a stupid bug on codes of UI.

very appreicate your input.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7