Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi89 v new wifi Comcast Modem

low
Aspirant
Aspirant

Orbi89 v new wifi Comcast Modem

Two questions:

1)  Signing in with password ("password") doesn't work nor does any other password I have.

2)  Comcast sent me a new wifi MODEM. Does this new wifi MODEM with Voice (VOIP) work with my new ORBI89 or does it interfere. In other words, does it extend the capabilities of ORBI89?

Message 1 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi89 v new wifi Comcast Modem

Hello Low 

If password is not working you may have to do a factory reset to the router and do the setup agian. to do this you hold the reset button down for 10 seconds. As for the comcast modem if it has a option to make it modem only or able to be bridged you will want to do that before connecting it to orbi.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
RonV42
Luminary

Do you know the model number of the new Comcast device. Some support bridged others don't.  I have a friend that recieved a new Xfinity modem for X1 and has no option for briding the IP address or even turning off the Wifi from the UI.

Message 3 of 6
JoeDiver
Aspirant

It does not extend your Orbi signal. I had to have Comcast disable the wifi radios on their modem. I was told that they would interfere with the Orbi signals

Message 4 of 6
low
Aspirant
Aspirant

I spent several hours with Xfinity (Comcast) involving their new Modem/Router. Before installing it, I called Comcast Tech who advised me there would be NO issues of compatibility. HOW WRONG THEY WERE!  I lost connectivity to the Internet and my VOIP (i.e., telephone service).

I was forced to disconnect the Comcast M/R. I then recalled Comcast tech services again (800)934-6489) and spoke with a very professional, knowledgeable and charming techie (Phil).  While it took some time, he walked me through REINSTALLATION of the new M/R, got me connected to the Internet and finally got my phones working. 

He said he had to UNBRIDGE the Xfinity M/R so my ORBI Router could work --- from his end on Comcast equipment. After the Comcast connections were reestablished he recommended I connect my Ethernet directly from the ORBI Router to my iMac and NOT use the Ethernet connections from the M/R  ethernet slots. 

It worked perfectly...after hours of frustrating effort.

On a side note: A Comcast rep called me this morning stating she noticed many calls and Reference Tickets regarding my problem and wanted to know if everything was worked out. I thought that was very responsible of Comcast. 

Message 5 of 6
JoeDiver
Aspirant

Now if only I could get my ethernet ports working on the satellite.... Still a work in progress
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7