Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OrbiOS MR 2.1 issues

AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

OrbiOS MR 2.1 issues

I wanted to reach out to provide a quick update on OrbiOS 2.1 software.  We believe that these issues are affecting some users.  Rest assured that we've been following this issue and working hard behind the scenes to address it.  In the meantime, to those that are affected, I understand the frustration that you've been feeling.  In response, we're taking the following actions:  

1.  We've paused the auto-firmware upgrade to MR2.1 and are re-posting MR 2.0 as the "latest" software for Orbi. What that means is that new customers will, upon first install, get upgraded to OrbiOS 2.0.  They will not be able to use features introduced in OrbiOS 2.1 like Ethernet Backhaul or Circle.  This will happen in the next 24 hours.  Existing customers, can do a manual software upgrade back to MR 2.0 and it will stick until further notice.  

For those interested in OrbiOS 2.1 features, We will post OrbiOS 2.1 available on the web server for customers who want to manual upgrade.  

2.  Customers who are having connectivity issues on MR 2.1 are encouraged to contact Support.  We will try to help everyone.  Bonus points if you're willing to work with us.  We have some debug software available.    

3.  As more information is available, we'll keep you updated through the Community.  

As an FYI, if you're having issues, a couple of quick & easy ways to self serve 

1.  Ensure that your Router & Satellite(s) are running the same (to the 3rd digit) of software.  Best way to find this is on the Web UI (orbilogin.com.  Advanced -> Admin -> Firmware Update).  

2.  Rebooting the system.  Do this manually by unplugging & replugging in the Router & Satellites.   

3.  If you're having slowness when connected to the Satellite, moving it closer to the Router or to a different location 

Orbi Product Management Teamorbi-firmware.png

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 141
webminster
Luminary

Re: OrbiOS MR 2.1 issues

Appreciate the update.   Could you be a little more explicit on what Netgear is doing, from an engineering perspective, to resolve these issues?   What issues specifically are you tracking and working, and actions being taken?  Thanks.

Message 2 of 141
pedrore
Guide

I have a suggestion.

Flag 2.1 as Beta software and update it to collect metrics on crashes, reboots, unexpected conditions/exceptions for transmission back to Netgear for analysis. In other words, rather than have individuals contact support, have your software do this (making it clear that by installing beta software you agree to the collection of anonymous data to improve the software). I'm sure there are many in this forum that would help by installing beta software on the understanding it may be less stable in the interest of improving the firmware for all.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 141
Origosis
Guide

How do I contact support. All i get is "Ask The Community" Or another option where I need to pay to contact support.

Message 4 of 141
Joechang
Apprentice

Can not understand what is Netgear doing. Seems you have a quite bad team on software development compare with other product like R8000, R serial product software is wonderful, Orbi software is totally xx
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 141
psrtx1
Star

First of all its nice (and about time) to get back acknowledgement from Netgear regarding these issues. I am sure many of us are now willing to wait a bit more for stable firmware update if we know Netgear is aware of the problems and working to address them. As of last week I had little hope to see this get addressed anytime soon, and the only reason had not switched back to old (or buy a new) system was lack of time.

Message 6 of 141
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1-888-NETGEAR

1-888-638-4327

Message 7 of 141
Dd852
Luminary

Thanks for the update. V2.1.2.18 has been fine for me so will stick with it! Hope the roll back helps others. All I'd add to your troubleshooting sugestions is I've found it is vital to reboot the satellite AFTER the router restarts for any reason. In other words, if you have to restart the router -- for instance I had to unplug it today for an unrelated issue involving the location where it is set -- you have to reboot the satellite as well afterwards. Don't just wait for it to reconnect on its own; the backhaul connection just isn't as good. Not sure why, but I've had the experience three times in my owenership and am now convinced!

Message 8 of 141
dalnew
Tutor

I am definitely having issues with regard to ethernet backhaul not being properly selected on my RBK53 setup. I'd be happy to work with you guys to collect any logs, etc to get this resolved 🙂 

Message 9 of 141
jerns
Initiate

I finally returned my original RBK53 system to Costco yesterday because it had been frequently and randomly rebooting for the past few weeks. I then purchased another new RBK53 to take the place of the original. After initial setup, I changed the RBR50 to AP mode (using an Apple Airport Extreme as the router) and initiated the suggested firmware update to v2.1.2.18. All three units updated successfully. Within 3 hours the RBR50 rebooted, then again about 45 minutes later, after that I went to bed. I assume the reboots continued throughout the night because the logs of the Orbi were clear when I woke up (aside from the initial [Initialized, firmware version: V2.1.2.18] message).
Today I saw this post and uploaded firmware v2.0.1.4 to the satellites and then to the router. The system stayed steady for close to an hour, then a reboot, then another reboot a few minutes later, then another after that, and so on.
I've spent the past couple hours searching for a replacement system that meets my needs, but the specs of the Orbi are still the best for me. However, the constant reboots and dropped connections are not so great. I'd be happy to share my Orbi logs, but when the reboot happens the logs are wiped clean. Can we expect a serious fix to this issue anytime soon?

p.s. the system just rebooted again and I had to wait for connectivity to return before posting this.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 10 of 141
bramdd
Guide

First of all, thanks indeed for this open communication on the issues at hand.

Second, I would like to ask to keep a stable firmware version for the next weeks/months to come.  I just bought a an Orbi RBK50 (and two satellites) and would very much like to keep it.  The firmware messages I find here, are scaring me.  And after all, the system doesn't come cheap.  Money well spent, when it works great.

I know I'm stating the obvious here, but I didn't want to remain silent on this one.

Thank you.

Message 11 of 141
KU1234
Guide

I bought this system a week ago, mainly for its triband and ethernet backhaul capabilities.

Without the ethernet backhaul, the 5gb bands will just unusable because the distance between router and satellites. T

The firmware update should be manual at the choice of the customer and not netgear.

I am already disappointed with orbi. I should have listened when my networking friend advised me against orbi.

If I dont see these issues fixed, orbi is headed back to the store in its refundable period.

Message 12 of 141
KU1234
Guide

Do you think the customers are guinea pigs? Or we just have solid cash to throw $500 on junk products?

Why don't you learn a new concept called "Quality control and testing"?

Message 13 of 141
wildhorse
Star

The problem is not everybody is having issues with V2.1.2.18. For me it works fine. No reboots, no connection drops. Using 5Ghz wifi backhaul.

After reboot logs are wiped. Only settings survive. This can make it difficult to diagnose. Those users having problems must have enabled something that doesn't work well.

Message 14 of 141
Roamabout
Luminary

@wildhorsewrote:

The problem is not everybody is having issues with V2.1.2.18. For me it works fine. No reboots, no connection drops. Using 5Ghz wifi backhaul.

After reboot logs are wiped. Only settings survive. This can make it difficult to diagnose. Those users having problems must have enabled something that doesn't work well.

It is curious why some people are having no problems with 2.1.2.18 and others cant even get an Orbi to work at all. Possibilities include:

• We don’t all have identical hardware, are all Orbi born the same ?
  • Some systems have bad hardware, when good chips go bad
  • Bit rot - devices that have been running a long time have bugs and/or resource leaks that eventually corrupt something
  • We don’t all have the same environment, network components, cables, connectors, connecting devices, usage behavior. My favorite.
  • People enabling telnet and buggering something up after logging into the Orbi
Message 15 of 141
7b7
Initiate
Initiate

I am also having issues with 2.1. 

• I have 2 satelites and 1 router. 
  • I have xfinity 130 down and 20 up.
  • 32 connected devices (mostly apple and home automation)

All the metrics look good, but periodically throughout the day I loose internet/connectivity.  I have also noticed with 2.1 when adding any real load to traffic, everything conected suffers.  I am not talking about slower speeds, I am talking about everything stops.  For example, pushing a 600mb docker image to google cripples my wireless network.  The push happens from a wired connection that is plugged into the RBR50.    Any help or testing I am can do I am willing.

I am loosing my faith in this setup, but not ready to throw in the towel.

Thanks

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 16 of 141
Roamabout
Luminary

@7b7wrote:

I am also having issues with 2.1. 

• I have 2 satelites and 1 router. 
  • I have xfinity 130 down and 20 up.
  • 32 connected devices (mostly apple and home automation)

All the metrics look good, but periodically throughout the day I loose internet/connectivity.  I have also noticed with 2.1 when adding any real load to traffic, everything conected suffers.  I am not talking about slower speeds, I am talking about everything stops.  For example, pushing a 600mb docker image to google cripples my wireless network.  The push happens from a wired connection that is plugged into the RBR50.    Any help or testing I am can do I am willing.

I am loosing my faith in this setup, but not ready to throw in the towel.

Thanks

The fact that Netgear has pulled the 2.1 release and is holding new customers at 2.0 tells me that they have no faith in that release. I would roll back to what Netgear thinks is a stable release assuming you are not married to the ethernet backhaul.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

Message 17 of 141
wizzy9999
Initiate

I contacted support after seeing this message

@AmitRwrote:

2.  Customers who are having connectivity issues on MR 2.1 are encouraged to contact Support.  We will try to help everyone.  Bonus points if you're willing to work with us.  We have some debug software available.    

I contacted support and their "help" was to tell me to downgrade the firmware; no attempt to troubleshoot or mention of debugging tools.  \

"We have the latest firmware which is 2.0.1.4 at the moment. Yes, it is a downgraded firmware with the fix since we are currently having issues with our 2.1 firmware versions. 
Update the firmware then observe the connection of the Orbi with this firmware. "

Message 18 of 141
MarkC1024
Luminary

I had an airport setup for a few years consisting of just a central extreme and also a couple of satelites. I had to routinely reboot the primary router in order to regain full functionality - it just seemed to get stupid and locked up on an erroneous IP range after connecting through VPN to work; it was a monthly routine and I tried a couple of different units.  I replaced it with the Orbi RBK53 and haven't had any problems.  I've monitored this forum for over a year, and understand some have had issues, but for me running the Orbi system (not in AP mode) has been pretty much flawless.  I do ensure I take everything down after a firmware update.  First ensuring the router is up, and then after that my satellites.  Not sure what function the extreme is serving in your setup, but try taking it out.   I do power all of my devices off a good UPS so that "should" rule out power related issues.

Message 19 of 141
Roamabout
Luminary

You know there is an industry wide problem when Amazon sells devices that will reboot your router on a timer so that you can start each day with a new image running on the router.

We are way past the day when we used to check our AOL mail twice a day on a 1200baud dial up. Today we run our homes and our lives on our in-home networks that are comparable in size and complexity than anything you will find in a small business office. Our home data network needs to be as available and dependable as electricity.

Message 20 of 141
wildhorse
Star

If you're having problems with reboots check memory usage in debug.html on both router and satellite. Perhaps something is filling up the log and it runs out of memory. Also check network session number.

Message 21 of 141
bramdd
Guide

Currently have no issues, running V2.1.2.18.

I have a very simple setup though.  RBK50 and 2 RBS50's.  No guest network.  NAS connected to router.  10 Devices (including 3 ip cam's)

(

getting average lan speed (connected to (wireless)sat-(wireless)router-wiredNAS) though: 170 Mbps write / 230 Mbps read.  Laptop sitting 2 meters from Sat, connected to 5Ghz.  But good enough for me.

)

Message 22 of 141
Fire1962
Initiate

It would help if the support team would address and give instructions for daisy chaining satellites. I know the firmware update allows this, but I don't see it anywhere. Every issue I see regarding satellites is that they should be positioned close to the router; thus not benefitting from purchasing additional satellites if they can't be close to the router... If my router sees my added satellite, and links to it without daisy chaining then I'll get a weaker signal than if it was linking to the sattletite that is actually closer. I want daisy connection, not star.
Message 23 of 141
bramdd
Guide

Nothing, I have Daisy chain running on my second Sat.  Connect Sat to Router and put it where you want it to be.  I'll connect automatically to your other Sat.

Message 24 of 141
quentin
Aspirant

How to download firmware MR 2.1 ?

Message 25 of 141
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7