Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Password continually needed

Mts362
Aspirant

Password continually needed

Orbi based network requires my password be entered on my phone 1-2 times each day. Pretty frustrating.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Password to what?  Most devices these days "remember" the password to every WiFi network they have been connected to.  If your phone is not remembering the WiFi password, something is wrong with the phone.  (I have gone to visit relatives, and after six months away my phone logs in as soon as I walk in the door.)

If you are referring to the password to the Orbi administrative account, that's a different matter.  I, personally, have not left the Orbi app open on my phone or tablet long enough to notice.

Message 2 of 14
Mts362
Aspirant

Yes, I’m familiar with how these passwords are usually remembered. That’s why I’m asking. My phone will remember dozens of network passwords but not my Orbi one that was just installed a week ago. Thanks for responding though.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 14

@Mts362 wrote:
My phone will remember dozens of network passwords but not my Orbi one that was just installed a week ago.

Have you been in to check the saved wifi passwords on your phone?

It may be remembering an old password. Tell the phone to forget that and it may remember the new one.

As @CrimpOn says it is really down to the phone to handle things like that. The router just puffs out wifi. What things do with it is in their hands.

Message 4 of 14
Mts362
Aspirant

Appreciate the effort, but there seems something unique about this network. My phone has never forgotten a password for dozens of networks over the years. And this network is 1 week old and a brand new setup. So it does appear specific to the Orbi network. Thanks
Message 5 of 14

Humour us. Stop making assumptions and investigate the suggestions people make.

If it really were a network thing, then we would see a lot of similar messages. We don't.

Did you change the wifi password on your Orbi?

As yet, we know nothing about what you are doing or how your setup is configured.

Message 6 of 14
Mts362
Aspirant

Sorry, but there have been no suggestions other than the phone must be bad and there cannot possibly be an issue with the Orbi network. I’ve never run across this in my long experience with such things, so I thought I’d ask this community to see if there was a known issue. Apologies if I’ve done something that offended.
Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Have never seen this my self or others haven't posted about it...

Message 8 of 14
Mts362
Aspirant

Firmware on main router is V2.3.1.60.  Operating a single (wired) satellite with same firmware.  Connected to a TP-LINK TC-7610 modem.  Both router and access point show up as "green" in the Orbi app.  The problem does not appear to be happening with other devices like my laptop....so I get that it is largely a device issue.  But at the same time, the phone has never had this issue with any other (of probably ~50 over the last 2 years) wifi networks.  So maybe there is a specific interaction issue at play.  Thanks!

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

IF other wifi devices do not exhibit this issue and the problem is only with the phone then possbible that something on the phone and recently taken a bad turn. 

Have you forgotten the current wireless profile, powered OFF the phone and back on and then re-entered the SSID and PW?

AFter updating to v60, was this updated and continued or has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed? 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 10 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mts362 wrote:
Orbi based network requires my password be entered on my phone 1-2 times each day. Pretty frustrating.

1-2 times a day is going to be difficult to diagnose.  I can think of some suggestions, but they are not really practical:

1. Does this happen with any other network, such as at work?  Alas, "no problem" might simply mean, "haven't been connected to this network long enough."
  2. Does it happen if the phone is in "safe mode."  A frequent suggestion when phones act up is that a recent app install or update has affected the phone, and running in safe mode disabled user apps.  This is also impractical because (a) we depend on our apps, and (b) even running "all day" might still be a false positive.  Many years ago I had an Android phone that would go whack-o, and the only cure was to do a factory reset and reload applications.  What a pain!
  3. Go back to the old WiFi.  If the Orbi was just installed a week ago, is the old WiFi still available?  Swap them and see what happens.
  4. Pose the question in the phone user forum.
  5. Are there other smartphones that have (or don't have) this issue?
  6. Is there anything in the Orbi logs?
  7. Does this phone have an assigned IP address?  My internet search turned up instances of phones losing WiFi because another device on the network showed up with the same IP.  Obviously an error, but some things may not be active on the network all the time.  (Thermostats, for one)

Message 11 of 14
surgio98
Initiate

On Android there is an App Cache and App Data. Cache is like the memory being used currently in the app and Data is like the long term storage the app uses. I would do the following.

Us my user name and password from another device to make sure it's correct. Then wipe App Cache and App Data. Restart Phone and then login. 

Message 12 of 14
surgio98
Initiate

Cont'd Deleting apps do not always remove their app data (Not sure about Cache). So even if you deleted and re-installed the app I would follow the aforementioned steps. 

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for sharing @surgio98 Hope this helps this user. Good info for future reference as well. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7