Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Password reset impossible

tresfenton
Tutor

Password reset impossible

After deleting browser history, cookies, etc, still impossible to go to routerlogin.net or .com.  Same with orbilogin.com.  When I was able to use my iPhone connected to the Orbi network, and tried resetting my password, it asked a question that I absolutely NEVER entered anywhere.  "What is the first Netgear product you purchased?"  First of all, I have no earthly idea what the first Netgear product I ever purchased was.  If given an option, I NEVER would have selected that as a security question.  I tried all reasonable answers to no avail.  There is no other option if you do not have the answer to both security questions.  I certainly know the answer to the 2nd one, which is my father's middle name.

I am trying to reset or find my Orbi network password to no avail.  I guess if I want to change it, I'll have to buy a new system?  Come on, guys.  This shouldn't be that hard.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Password reset impossible

IF you hold in the reset button on the back of the ruoter for 10-15 seconds and watch the top LED change to a yellowish color, release the button. I would use a wire connected PC and log into 192.168.1.1 and walk thru the set up wizard. Then input the values you want to remember. You can pick what questions are available from the drop down menu. It's not really that hard. 

Message 2 of 16
markoshust
Aspirant

This works. However, there are two important issues specifically when setting up a new Orbi from a mobile device:

- It does not prompt you for an admin password

- The password challenge questions are not asked to the user, at least the first question is not. I received the same security question and I never remember filling it out. It appeared my second security question was properly picked though.

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting up with a PC first and walk the setup wizard.

Ya I think the app needs to be reviewed for setup and reset processes...

@DarrenM

@Christian_R

Message 4 of 16
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @tresfenton

I have sent you a message. Please respond at your earliest convenience. 

~Christian 

Message 5 of 16
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @markoshust

Please let me know if you are experiencing the same issue and the issues persists, I will send you a message if so. 

~Christian 

Message 6 of 16
ginseatac
Aspirant

I am having the exact same problem.  I set up my ORBI from the app perfectely in June.  Today I "updated" the app and now I have lot admin privleges.  I did the orbilogin and put in my serial number and then it asks 2 questions.  "what is the name of the first netgear product you purchased" and father's middle name.  I know for a fact I never chose these questions.  I have no idea what the answer to number 1 is.  I do not own a computer that has an ethernet port (Brand new macbook pros).  I do not want to have to reset my entire network just to log back in.  Is there any other way? 

Thanks

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to factory reset the router and use a PC connected to the router and walk thru the set up wizard. Be sure to write down important information for safe keeping later on. Once the router is set up again, do a save configuration and back up the routers configuration to file for safe keeping later on as well.

@ginseatac wrote:

I am having the exact same problem.  I set up my ORBI from the app perfectely in June.  Today I "updated" the app and now I have lot admin privleges.  I did the orbilogin and put in my serial number and then it asks 2 questions.  "what is the name of the first netgear product you purchased" and father's middle name.  I know for a fact I never chose these questions.  I have no idea what the answer to number 1 is.  I do not own a computer that has an ethernet port (Brand new macbook pros).  I do not want to have to reset my entire network just to log back in.  Is there any other way? 

Thanks

Message 8 of 16
ginseatac
Aspirant

Thanks, but that still doesn’t solve the problem of having MacBooks instead of PC. Is there a way to do this without a PC? The internet and router work fantastic, I don’t want to screw up everything to just get admin access back. This seems like a serious flaw in the app. It worked fine until the pushed out “update”.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You can wirelessly connect to the Orbi's wifi after the reset and use the Mac to set up the Orbi

Message 10 of 16
ginseatac
Aspirant

Ah! Thank you. Everyone kept saying PC I thought I couldn’t do it with a Mac. Do I have to uninstall and reinstall the App on my phone to make everything work again?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

PC can = Mac Smiley Wink

No.

Message 12 of 16
tresfenton
Tutor

Where do I find the private messages on this forum?

Thanks, Tres

Message 13 of 16
tresfenton
Tutor

Yes, I'd like help resetting my password so I can connect more devices to my Orbi.  I found your message, but there is no way to reply to it in private messages.  LOL

Message 14 of 16
st_shaw
Master

Click on the title of the message.  You will then go to a window with a Reply button.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to do a factory reset on the Orbi if you need to reset the PW if you lost it. Use a wired connected PC with the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard. This time, write down all important information for safe keeping. 

@tresfenton wrote:

Yes, I'd like help resetting my password so I can connect more devices to my Orbi.  I found your message, but there is no way to reply to it in private messages.  LOL

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7