Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Password shown in plain text in web interface

iceblink
Aspirant

Password shown in plain text in web interface

I had not noticed this before, but when I use the web interface to my Orbi, I end up in the Basic/Home window, which has 6 boxes: Internet, Wireless, Attached Devices, etc.  And the Wireless box shows my wifi password in plain sight. It is scrolling in the box (my password is rather long). And when I hover my mouse over it, it shows the entire password.

You could argue that this is done by design, but the funny part is that when you click on that box, the password is NOT shown in plain sight, but it is replaced by asterisks. You need to click on an "eye" button to show it.

So my question is: how do I prevent my wifi password from showing in the Basic/Home page?

Or alternatively, how do I prevent being directed to Basic/Home after login?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Re: Password shown in plain text in web interface

This is a known security issue.  See https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Hide-SSID-password-on-router-home-page/idi-p... and add your comment and kudos for it.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 3
iceblink
Aspirant

Re: Password shown in plain text in web interface

Thanks, I am glad to see I'm not the only one bothered by this.

I gave my kudo, but hopefully Netgear fixes it regardless of the amount of kudos...

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7