Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ping randomly skyrocketing from 20ms to 12,000ms

Legendary
Star

Ping randomly skyrocketing from 20ms to 12,000ms

It all started this morning. I was playing PlayStation 4 with some buddies the all of the sudden I started lagging!

So I performed some ping tests and my ping was at about 12,000ms (12 seconds). So I restarted everything and it was good, until I started playing again and it would skyrocket back up to 12000-15000ms.

Not sure what happened! I didn't touch any settings. It was all random.

Also, I have 250 download, and 15 upload, so I don't think I'm out of bandwith.

I think this only happens when playing PS4, because I've been streaming 4K video for the last 15 minutes and I haven't had any problems. My PS4 is hard wired to my satellite.

Model: RBR50

Firmware: 1.11.0.20

Message 1 of 14

hard to say what it could be except with that small an upload limit it might be some device syncing with the cloud , eg itunes or google drive or one drive or it may just be updates , restarting the orbi will stop it temp and then it will restart 

have you also check games arnt updating in the background 

Message 2 of 14
Legendary
Star

Nope, there's nothing going on in the background of any computers or on my PS4.

Alsp, everything has been fine for 2 months until this morning. It's not like anything has changed. The only thing  I can think of is the firmware updating overnight, maybe?

Message 3 of 14

well check to see if it has updated but normally high ping spikes arnt related to the router its more ether a congestion or usage issue , wouldnt panic to much and just wait it out at least a day to see if it fixes its self you never know it might even be isp side of things 

Message 4 of 14
Legendary
Star

[Initialized, firmware version: V1.11.0.20] Saturday, June 24, 2017 09:35:59

Yup, this is probably the problem!

Message 5 of 14
Legendary
Star

Well, I hope they release another update soon. This is unacceptable.

Message 6 of 14

I've been having tons of ping trouble in games lately. I never had a problem until just recently, maybe like 2-3 weeks now. I always had disconnect trouble but never ping issues. I don't know what they did but I feel like they messed something up with recent firmware changes. I'm currently waiting on recieving a link to the beta firmware. I'll let you know if that helps at all. 

Message 7 of 14
Legendary
Star

@Michaelsoft wrote:

I've been having tons of ping trouble in games lately. I never had a problem until just recently, maybe like 2-3 weeks now. I always had disconnect trouble but never ping issues. I don't know what they did but I feel like they messed something up with recent firmware changes. I'm currently waiting on recieving a link to the beta firmware. I'll let you know if that helps at all. 

I feel the same way. Firmware update definitely messed something up. I feel like they accidentally sent out a Beta or even an Alpha

Message 8 of 14

I have been using the beta firmware for several hours and my ping issues are still alive and well. Not sure what the issue is anymore or how to even go about fixing it. Just thought I'd give you an update, good luck. 

Message 9 of 14

@Michaelsoft

have you got another router to try as this will remove any doubt weather its the orbi or if its something upstream causing the issue and just being a coincidence 

Message 10 of 14

@peteytesting

I did try my old netgear router and overall I'd say the ping issue wasn't prevelant with that router. I noticed some ping fluctuations but they were minor compared to what I'm dealing with when using the Orbi. And this all only started just 2-3 weeks ago. It's odd because all of my speed tests come back great with the Orbi but then I get into an online game and the lag is unbearable.
Message 11 of 14

have you tried port forwarding or dmz the device you are playing on in the orbi as this may help , certainly a strange one , i would prob even suggest a factory reset and see if that helps 

Message 12 of 14

I have done a factory reset but I have not tried port forwarding or dmz. I will look into those options, thanks. And yes it's super strange and nothing netgear support has tried to do has helped and my ISP is claiming everything is good on their end, so I'm at a complete loss. Thanks for the suggestions.
Message 13 of 14
th3w01f
Apprentice

I'm seeing similar issues that started probably 3 weeks ago or so.  My VoIP perofmrance completly crashed and I've been working with Ooma and my ISP but now I'm thinking the issue might be the Orbi. 

Seeing similar to this over and over again.

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=60
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=60
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=60
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=60
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=159ms TTL=60
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=60
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=422ms TTL=60
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=60
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=60
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=311ms TTL=60
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=60
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=60