Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Point to point between two satellites?

MarkLOrbi
Guide

Point to point between two satellites?

I need to provide wireless in a barn that's 150' from my house. I'm running router in AP mode. In attached drawing, can I use point to point wireless to connect Satellite 1 and Satellite 2? I would use ethernet cable to connect each Satellite to the wireless antennae at each end. It seems like I need to turn off the backhaul on Satellite 2, otherwise it will continue to try to connect to Satellite 1 in daisy chain mode, which it does occasionally but unreliably.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Point to point between two satellites?

Yes you can connect Satelllite-2 to Satellite-1 with Ethernet cables if you can't connect it directly to the Router, please see below snapshot from Orbi Support Site:

Namnlöst.png

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Others have described attempts to connect a satellite to the router using a wireless link.  Neither device is "aware" that the link is anything other than an ethernet connection.  Are you unable to connect the router directly to the wireless link that connects to the barn (bypass the satellite in the house)?  My guess is that when the experts comment, they will say that satellites do not "daisy chain" over ethernet, only wireless.  (But, I've been wrong many times.)

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 2 of 7
ekhalil
Master

Yes you can connect Satelllite-2 to Satellite-1 with Ethernet cables if you can't connect it directly to the Router, please see below snapshot from Orbi Support Site:

Namnlöst.png

Message 3 of 7
MarkLOrbi
Guide

@ekhalil wrote:

That is perfect, thanks. I could not find anything like that in the manual.

Message 4 of 7
MarkLOrbi
Guide

@CrimpOn wrote:

Others have described attempts to connect a satellite to the router using a wireless link.  Neither device is "aware" that the link is anything other than an ethernet connection.  Are you unable to connect the router directly to the wireless link that connects to the barn (bypass the satellite in the house)?  My guess is that when the experts comment, they will say that satellites do not "daisy chain" over ethernet, only wireless.  (But, I've been wrong many times.)

The router is in the center of the house, it's very difficult to get a cable outside to a spot where the antenae has a clear shot to the barn. The location of the satellite reduces the problem to making a small hole in an outside wall.

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Please report how it goes with your Daisy Chain link.  It looks like your installation will be a hybrid, with the first hop being wireless and the second hop being "wired".

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 6 of 7
MarkLOrbi
Guide

@CrimpOn wrote:

Please report how it goes with your Daisy Chain link.  It looks like your installation will be a hybrid, with the first hop being wireless and the second hop being "wired".

I changed strategy, I wired my router in the house to the satellite in the barn (~150') using an aerial cable in the trees, so the first hop is wired. The second satellite in barn is daisy chained on wireless backhaul to the first satellite in barn. Both show good status and work fine. The distance between those two satellites is large (~160'), but it's an open barn so there's nothing but air in between them.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7