Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Poor net speed

StanDenman
Aspirant

Poor net speed

I cannot figure out what model I have from the drop down.  In the orbi app I see model number "RBR10".  Firmware Version v2.7.4.24.  I have had poor VOIP call quality via RingCentral.  The speed on my PC - where I do all my work - on the orbi network is quite slow.  17 download, 12 upload.  Yet on the orbi app I do a "Speedtest" and I get 53 download, 12 upload.  On my laptop in that same office, on the orbi network I get 30 download, 12 upload.  What accounts for these disparities?

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Try putting the VoIP device into the RBRs DMZ. 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://kb.netgear.com/000062081/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 2 of 12
StanDenman
Aspirant

Sorry you are going to have to speak English. What is a DMZ?

Message 3 of 12
StanDenman
Aspirant

None of this has worked.  Screenshot (77).png

Message 5 of 12
StanDenman
Aspirant

None of these suggestions helped.  Speed worse than ever!!

Message 6 of 12
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @StanDenman ,

Thank you for providing that information!

Please do a speed test from your RBR10 then post your findings.

To do a speed test from your RBR10 please navigate to the following settings:

Orbilogin.com> Advanced> Setup> Speed Test

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@StanDenman wrote:

Yet on the orbi app I do a "Speedtest" and I get 53 download, 12 upload.  

This is a speed test run direct on the Orbi router direct, testing the wired network and Internet connection.

@StanDenman wrote:

The speed on my PC - where I do all my work - on the orbi network is quite slow.  17 download, 12 upload. 

On my laptop in that same office, on the orbi network I get 30 download, 12 upload.

Both wireless connections of course, not making use of the available Gigabit Ethernet LAN port of course, isn't it?

Is the Orbi router free visible from the position where the PC and the laptop are used?

What wireless clients are installed on the PC and the laptop? 

Windows or MacOS systems?

When open the computer wireless properties (of the connected network name) on a Windows system, there is an option to copy the current status, it's a list like this (hope you don't worry about the German localization in use here) - this is what I would like to see from the PC as well as from your laptop - this is what could help of giving us an idea about the wireless connection status of each device (PC, laptop):

SSID: xxxxxx
Protokoll: Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
Sicherheitstyp: WPA2-Personal
Netzfrequenzbereich: 5 GHz
Netzwerkkanal: 40
Verbindungsgeschwindigkeit (Empfang/Übertragung): 961/907 (Mbps)

Hersteller: Intel Corporation
Beschreibung: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
Treiberversion: 22.220.0.4
Physische Adresse (MAC): xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx

@StanDenman wrote:

I have had poor VOIP call quality via RingCentral.   

This is about the last issue - once the wireless connection can be considered good to very-good, we can look into this.

Message 8 of 12
StanDenman
Aspirant

This is the desktop (the one that is the slowest)Screenshot (80).pngThis one is the laptop which is faster (network band 2.4 GHz)Screenshot (39).png

Message 9 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Laptop:

Realtek 8811CU, a single chip 802.11ac 1x1, Wave-2 compatible with MU-MIMO, the host interface is USB2.0 for WLAN and BT controller. Typically available in the market as a USB Wi-Fi 5 dongle, apparently synching on 5 GHz to 130 Mbps / 130 Mbps 

Is this USB WiFi stick probably connected on a USB 1.0/1.1 port? Probably connected on some aged USB hub? These are typical reason for very poor performing WiFi (while showing reasonable link rates).

Worth to update the driver so some current (late) version, like https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/rtl8811cu-software (32bit/64bit Windows7, Windows8.1, Windows10 WLAN USB driver (Install Package) 1030.25.0701.2017 2018/09/07) - [edit: seems to be in place already?]

If correctly deployed, not delivering, but should perform within these limits. 

Notebook: 

Realtek RTL8723DE, a dated 802.11n Wi-Fi 4 adapter, a single chip solution, combining PCIe and a USB backed Bluetooth host, synching on the Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz band (that's all it can) to 72 Mbps / 72 Mbps.

Message 10 of 12
StanDenman
Aspirant

Sorry I do not understand your reply.  The desktop has a tripp-lite doggle - no other identification.  I bought this PC refurbished from PCLiquidations last year.  Are you saying I need to replace the wifi adaptor?

Message 11 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Fire up the Windows device manager for some peek-and-poke on the USB controllers (where I still suspect the Wi-Fi adapter is connected, and the Network Adapter properties.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7