Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port Forwarding kills internet on Orbi

Darryl66
Aspirant

Port Forwarding kills internet on Orbi

Hi 

I am having issues setting up port forwarding on my Orbi router, what happens when I set the port forwarding rule up the internet stops working delete the rule and the internet starts working. The rule I am setting up is a port 8080 to an IP address on me network

The set up I have is VM Router in Modem mode Orbi 50 running with one satalite I have checked for double NAT and there is not one I only get the router IP when doing a tracecert

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Port Forwarding kills internet on Orbi

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Both wired and wireless internet access goes down? 

How do you have Port forwarding configured? 

Did you disable uPnP before setting up any PF rules? 

@Darryl66 wrote:

Hi 

I am having issues setting up port forwarding on my Orbi router, what happens when I set the port forwarding rule up the internet stops working delete the rule and the internet starts working. The rule I am setting up is a port 8080 to an IP address on me network

The set up I have is VM Router in Modem mode Orbi 50 running with one satalite I have checked for double NAT and there is not one I only get the router IP when doing a tracecert

Message 2 of 13
Darryl66
Aspirant

It is the latest firmware as just down loaded when trying to configuare 

set up is just a simple add custom rule port 8080 no special configurations all default likewise default settings on router

Message 3 of 13
Darryl66
Aspirant

Sorry meant to add wireless and hardwire who use hard wire what’s a wire 😀

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try a different port, say 8181? Same thing? 

Message 5 of 13
Darryl66
Aspirant

Yep tried 8080, 8081, 8082 all same restults 

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 13
Darryl66
Aspirant

The orbi router is connected to a virgin media super hub 3 this is set to modem mode

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

And you are getting a public IP address on the Orbi RBR? ##.##.###.###? 

Message 9 of 13
Darryl66
Aspirant

Not totally sure I’d understand what you are asking 

my main router from VM is in full cable mode my orbi then is running in router mode this is also acting as DHCP the public address is there likewise if I do a tracet to 8.8.8.8 I only get my router ip back not my modem as well so no double NAT and like wise the public’s address shows

i am trying to port forward from no-op using port 8080 I have had this working quite some time ago but this was before I saw the light and got an orbi system no Mable to make port forwarding work

Message 10 of 13
ekhalil
Master

@Darryl66 wrote:

i am trying to port forward from no-op using port 8080 I have had this working quite some time ago but this was before I saw the light and got an orbi system no Mable to make port forwarding work

1. Are you sure you've selected Port Forwarding and not Port Triggering when you configured Orbi in the web GUI?
  2. When configuring Port Forwarding in the web GUI you need to select a service or protocol. Have you made sure that the protocol you're using for your 8080 port forwarding is TCP/UDP? To check this, mark the line and select EDIT SERVICE and check what protocol is being set.
Message 11 of 13
Darryl66
Aspirant

Yes this all correct it is port forwarding and port 8080

Message 12 of 13
ekhalil
Master

Can you please post a snapshot of your configuration when you open "Edit Service" in the web GUI, similar to the attached snapshot.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7