×

Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Re: Port forwarding is not working at all

Bakkes
Aspirant

Port forwarding is not working at all

Hi! I have recently been strugling with port forwarding a "mine os" server that I have created recently. I have port forwarded the port 25565 and port 25575 but I checked the if the port is open multiple times with different websites and every one of them is saying that it is closed. I have been trying to solve this problem for more thank a week now, and I came to the conclusion that my network's firewall is the problem. When I try to connect to my server with my public ip adress it says an error message. You can see the error message in the picture below. I did try the steps that other people have talked about in other discussions, but nothing helped my problem from there. My router is a RBR20, and I have three sattelites connected to it. The machine that I host mine os on is also connected to one of the sattelites with a good connection. I have port forwarded port 25565 and port 25575 with TCP and UDP.

 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
antinode
Guru

Re: Port forwarding is not working at all

> Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router

 

   Firmware version?  Connected to what?

 

> Port forwarding is not working at all

 

   "not working" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say
what you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

 

> [...] I have port forwarded the port 25565 and port 25575 [...]

 

   Actual port-forwarding rules?

 

> [...] I checked [...]

 

   How, exactly?


> [...] I have been trying to solve this problem for more thank a week
> now, [...]

 

   Do you think that the time you've spent on this problem conveys any
useful/significant information at all?

 

> [...] I came to the conclusion that my network's firewall is the
> problem. [...]

 

   The actual evidence which led you to that conclusion would be much
more interesting than your (unmotivated) conclusion itself.  What,
exactly, does "my network's firewall" mean to you?

 

> [...] When I try to connect to my server with my public ip adress it
> says an error message. [...]

 

   "Connection refused" normally means that you've reached the
destination system, but no one there is listening at the specified port.


   With my weak psychic powers, I can't see your "my public ip adress".

 

> [...] I did try the steps that other people have talked about in other
> discussions, but nothing helped my problem from there. [...]

 

   Thanks for the helpful links.  Sadly, with my weak psychic powers, I
can't guess what you read, or what you did, or what happened when you
did it.  Regarding "nothing helped", see "not a useful problem
description [...]", above.

 

   For the usual problems with port forwarding, see:

 

      https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1859106

Message 2 of 7
Bakkes
Aspirant

Re: Port forwarding is not working at all

When I meant that the firewall is the problem, I didnt mean it exactly but it could be the problem. No, I did get any useful informantion while I was trying to figure the problem out, but I looked into the error message a bit more and found out that "probably" the firewall is the problem. Also all of the sites I checked if the port is open said that the port forwarded port, "25565" and "25575" are closed. I also noticed that I dont have a internet port section in my network's gui or homepage. I searched up if I can maybe disable the firewall of my network, but it is automatic, and cannot be disabled.

 

" "Connection refused" normally means that you've reached the
destination system, but no one there is listening at the specified port."

 

I dont know what you mean when you say it reached the destionation system.

 

"see "not a useful problem
description [...]", above."

 

I have tried to tell everything I could about the problem but I will defenitely try to find some more information.

 

"not working" is not a useful problem description. It does not say
what you did. It does not say what happened when you did it. As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

 

I dont know what you mean by LED indicatiors. The only and the only error message I know was the error message from minecraft. I can't get any more information because that is the only message it gave me. I cant do anything about it.

 

 

 

 

"> [...] I checked [...]

 

How, exactly?"

 

I have written down how I checked it.

Message 3 of 7
antinode
Guru

Re: Port forwarding is not working at all

>    Firmware version?  Connected to what?

 

>    Actual port-forwarding rules?

 

   Still wondering.  This whole Q&A thing often works better if every Q
gets an A.  Look for "?".

 


> [...] found out that "probably" the firewall is the problem. [...]

 

   That's not much help if you don't know what your "the firewall" is.

 

   You don't know enough about this stuff to make your analysis of the
problem worth anything.  What _might_ be helpful would be if you
described accurately what you're doing, and what happens when you do it.

What you think it all means is much less interesting.

 

> I dont know what you mean when you say it reached the [destination]
> system.

 

   The game server system.  The thing to which your game client is
trying to send a message.  The system whose LAN IP address is in your
(invisible) port-forwarding rule(s).


> I have tried to tell everything I could about the problem but I will
> defenitely try to find some more information.

 

   Did you look at this?:

 

>       https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1859106

 

   You don't seem to have.  It's loaded with questions and tests to try.
You don't need to _find_ "some more information"; answering the pending
questions might be enough.

 

> I dont know what you mean by LED indicatiors. [...]

 

   It's general advice; the LED part may not apply in your case.

 

> [...] I can't get any more information because that is the only
> message it gave me. [...]

 

   With my weak psychic powers, I can't see what you did to _get_ that
message.  Which part of "actual actions (commands)" was unclear?


> error message.JPG

 

   I saw it the first time.  The error message does not say what you did
to get that error message.

 

   I'll try again.

 

>       https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1859106

 

    Read it. Answer the questions.  Try the tests.  Report the results.

Message 4 of 7
Bakkes
Aspirant

Re: Port forwarding is not working at all

Hi! Thanks for the link. It gave me a better understanding of the situation, but I dont really understand the way you wrote down how to  solve the problem. Could you maybe explain it in a more easier, "understandable" way? Its really my first time configuring my router and I am not sure about a lot of things. Thanks.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 7
antinode
Guru

Re: Port forwarding is not working at all

> [...] Could you maybe explain it in a more easier, "understandable"
> way? [...]

 

   "it"?  "explain" _what_?

 

> [...] I am not sure about a lot of things. [...]

 

   Same here.  Hence the questions, all still unanswered.

 

>    Read it.  Answer the questions.  Try the tests.  Report the results.

 

   Which part of that was unclear?

Message 6 of 7
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Port forwarding is not working at all

Port forwarding often doesn't work because you have Double NAT (so port forrwarding just on your Orbi is not sufficient) or you have the Windows Firewall running.  Let's check those first:

  1. Double NAT - Is https://canyouseeme.org/ "Your IP" the same as what http://orbilogin.com Advanced...Internet Port says for "IP Address"?
    • If not then you probably are running your Orbi behind your cable modem and it's also a router.  You can fix it by putting your cable modem into "bridge mode" or other solutions.
  2. Window Firewall - Press the Win key, type and search for "network status"
    Your active network needs to show "Private network" below it so the firewall is disabled.

More diagnostics and suggestions here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-port-forwarding-doesn-t-work/td-p/198...

 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1422 views
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7