Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Potential buyer, needs advice

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Potential buyer, needs advice

Hi

Im looking at replacing my asus ac86u with netgear orbi. Im not quite sure which I will go for yet, possibly a wifi6 model though.

I just need to know a few things if someone can help.

Currently my router is in front room, where my ISP router is (in modem mode)

I would be placing the Orbi router here as well, Im unsure though where to place the satelite. I have two options:

Option 1

Upstairs, one room across from router which is downstairs, so roughly 30ft apart (this would have to be connected wirelessly as have no network cables installed upstairs.

Option 2

Downstairs at rear of property which would be about 65ft away from the orbi router. The benfit here is I could have the satelite and router connected with a network cable as I have a patch cable that runs from front to back of property.

Ideally I would like to go with option 2 if distance is not an issue if connecting with network cable and I get decent wifi upstairs still, can anyone confirm if these things are fine to go with option 2?

I presume the wifi signal can reach upstairs in most cases? I mean my current router is perfectly fine so would like to think the orbi would be as well.

Finally does both the router and satelite output a wifi signal or just the satelites I add?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

If you're using the wired backhaul, distance isn't an issue (up to 300ft). And it actually might be beneficial. 

But with any of my mesh systems, I try them out and see what placements work the best. Sometimes it surprises you as objects in the walls (hvac, etc) can block signals and cause issues. So you can initially set them up and see how they work. Give it a couple days to stablize.

then try moving the satellites around and see how they do. 

The asus you have is a pretty rock solid router with a lot of features the orbi doesn't have. You might consider leaving its as primary router and setting up the orbi in access point mode. Just make sure the asus broadcasts on different channels from the orbi. 

Then you'd have a backup wifi as well as the gaming/security benefits of the asus. 

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

@Retired_Member wrote:

Hi

Im looking at replacing my asus ac86u with netgear orbi. Im not quite sure which I will go for yet, possibly a wifi6 model though.

I just need to know a few things if someone can help.

Currently my router is in front room, where my ISP router is (in modem mode)

I would be placing the Orbi router here as well, Im unsure though where to place the satelite. I have two options:

Option 1

Upstairs, one room across from router which is downstairs, so roughly 30ft apart (this would have to be connected wirelessly as have no network cables installed upstairs.

Option 2

Downstairs at rear of property which would be about 65ft away from the orbi router. The benfit here is I could have the satelite and router connected with a network cable as I have a patch cable that runs from front to back of property.

Ideally I would like to go with option 2 if distance is not an issue if connecting with network cable and I get decent wifi upstairs still, can anyone confirm if these things are fine to go with option 2?

I presume the wifi signal can reach upstairs in most cases? I mean my current router is perfectly fine so would like to think the orbi would be as well.

Finally does both the router and satelite output a wifi signal or just the satelites I add?

Thank you.

Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@plemans wrote:

A couple things. 

If you're using the wired backhaul, distance isn't an issue (up to 300ft). And it actually might be beneficial. 

But with any of my mesh systems, I try them out and see what placements work the best. Sometimes it surprises you as objects in the walls (hvac, etc) can block signals and cause issues. So you can initially set them up and see how they work. Give it a couple days to stablize.

then try moving the satellites around and see how they do. 

The asus you have is a pretty rock solid router with a lot of features the orbi doesn't have. You might consider leaving its as primary router and setting up the orbi in access point mode. Just make sure the asus broadcasts on different channels from the orbi. 

Then you'd have a backup wifi as well as the gaming/security benefits of the asus. 

Thanks, I only really use the asus as basic router, I have not used any of its features really.

I think I will go for this orbi setup and try connecting them with network cable and seeing what the range is like upstairs, can always move it upstairs if need be and connect wirelessly.

On the subject of connecting them with ethernet cable, I heard you need to sync them via wireless first, does it matter where I sync it, with the distance I plan to place the satelite it might struggle to sync unless I do it close to the router, so does it matter where its synced?

Thanks for the help

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

On the subject of connecting them with ethernet cable, I heard you need to sync them via wireless first, does it matter where I sync it, with the distance I plan to place the satelite it might struggle to sync unless I do it close to the router, so does it matter where its synced?

The most common practice seems to be to place the satellite in the same room as the router, let it sync over WiFi, and then connect them with an ethernet cable.  (It takes a few minutes - longer than one would think for "computers") After confirming that the ethernet sync is working, move the satellite to the remote location.

One of the most common problems with ethernet sync is flaws in the cable installation.  Syncing first in the same room eliminates the satellite as a potential problem.  If the first sync is remote, then who knows what the issue might be?

Good LUck

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

I'd have to admit the "syncing over wifi" is recommended. 

Do I always do it? Not really. In fact, rarely.  

I usually plug the router in and the satellite in. During setup of the router it usually goes through its sync phase and I haven't had it not find the satellite during that process. 

Just from my experience. 

Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@plemans wrote:

I'd have to admit the "syncing over wifi" is recommended. 

Do I always do it? Not really. In fact, rarely.  

I usually plug the router in and the satellite in. During setup of the router it usually goes through its sync phase and I haven't had it not find the satellite during that process. 

Just from my experience. 

Ah ok I will just try it where I plan to place it then.

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7