Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem after Orbi RBR50 firmware update to 2.5.1.8

dano17
Tutor

Problem after Orbi RBR50 firmware update to 2.5.1.8

I recently update the firmware to 2.5.1.8 and have had nothing but problems getting all devices working properly again.  The reason that I updated was that devices were disappearing from the Orbi app as not being attached, but they were indeed attached and mostly working normally.  I was hoping the firmware update would correct the issue, but it not much different (ie, some are still disappearing after a Orbi reboot).  My biggest problem now has to do with an old IP address orginally assigned to my Pentair pool control adapter.  During the original Orbi installation, the subnet mask IP range was 172.16.0.x.  Not sure why it chose this range, but I went with the default.  During the recent firmware update to 2.5.1.8, the subnet mask IP range was changed to the typical 192.168.1.x.  As far as I can tell, all of the devices except for the Pentair adapter updated, while the Pentair adapter kept an IP address of 172.16.0.9.  Now I cannot communicate with the Pentair system, and I've tried resettting the adapter, powering down the adapter and the Pentair controller in every conceivable order.  Looking for advice to correct the issue, other than starting all over again as a new install, which is a several hour ordeal (like most people, I have a lot of devices).  I've attached a screen snippet for reference.  Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
dano17
Tutor

Thanks again to all who responded to my posts.  I was able to isolate the issue to the Pentair protocol adapter not releasing it's old IP address by reverting back to my older Netgear WNDR3700, where it displayed the same bad IP address.  A tech support call to Pentair provided some critical undocumented steps to reset the protocol adapter (the reset button on the adapter must be pushed 3 times within 2 seconds).  The adapter then released the old IP address and accepted a new one assigned by the router.  I also regressed back to the RBR50 / RBS50 V2.3.5.30 firmware to address the buggy 2.5.1.8 firmware whereby the devices (including the satellite) disappear over time rather than showing as attached devices.  I'm back up and running now.  I'm disappointed in the Orbi firmware, as there has been something wrong with each version that prevented it from operating as advertised.  The stuck IP address, however, was a Pentair documentation issue, compounded by the Orbi firmware update.  Thanks again for the assistance, and hope my post can help someone else in the future.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

"the subnet mask IP range was 172.16.0.x." This is not a subnet mask, more like the WAN IP address. A private IP address and not a public IP address. 

There a built in router at the modem by chance? If so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@dano17 wrote:

I recently update the firmware to 2.5.1.8 and have had nothing but problems getting all devices working properly again.  The reason that I updated was that devices were disappearing from the Orbi app as not being attached, but they were indeed attached and mostly working normally.  I was hoping the firmware update would correct the issue, but it not much different (ie, some are still disappearing after a Orbi reboot).  My biggest problem now has to do with an old IP address orginally assigned to my Pentair pool control adapter.  During the original Orbi installation, the subnet mask IP range was 172.16.0.x.  Not sure why it chose this range, but I went with the default.  During the recent firmware update to 2.5.1.8, the subnet mask IP range was changed to the typical 192.168.1.x.  As far as I can tell, all of the devices except for the Pentair adapter updated, while the Pentair adapter kept an IP address of 172.16.0.9.  Now I cannot communicate with the Pentair system, and I've tried resettting the adapter, powering down the adapter and the Pentair controller in every conceivable order.  Looking for advice to correct the issue, other than starting all over again as a new install, which is a several hour ordeal (like most people, I have a lot of devices).  I've attached a screen snippet for reference.  Thanks.

Message 2 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@dano17 wrote:

During the original Orbi installation, the subnet mask IP range was 172.16.0.x.  Not sure why it chose this range, but I went with the default.  During the recent firmware update to 2.5.1.8, the subnet mask IP range was changed to the typical 192.168.1.x.  As far as I can tell, all of the devices except for the Pentair adapter updated, while the Pentair adapter kept an IP address of 172.16.0.9.  Now I cannot communicate with the Pentair system, and I've tried resettting the adapter, powering down the adapter and the Pentair controller in every conceivable order.

The solution is to set up the Pentair controller from scratch so that it gets a correct IP address.  I'm happy to look at the Pentair setup instructions if you supply the exact model number and the user manual is on the web.

One thing you might try is to go into the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, LAN Setup, and assign a specific IP address to the Pentair using the MAC address shown on the Attached Devices display.  Then, power off the Pantair and power it back on.  If it is asking the Orbi for an IP address using DHCP, it might get the new one.  If the Pentair has been set up with a "static IP", then the only way to get it changed is through a fresh setup.

Message 3 of 13
eljarviso
Luminary

The easiest solution here is to just change the LAN up address range on the Orbi back to 172.16.0.x.
Message 4 of 13
dano17
Tutor

Thank you for the quick post advice.  Unfortunately, I see no way to change the IP address per your advice "go into the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, LAN Setup, and assign a specific IP address to the Pentair using the MAC address shown on the Attached Devices display".  I have tried to block the device, as well as reserve it's IP address to a 192.168.1.XXX address, but the old 172.16.0.9 IP address remains no matter what I do.  This seems like a bug to me.  Your advice seems routine for other routers (my previous router was a an older Netgear, which I used this feature on occasion).  So, even when I try to reserve a proper address, the router ignores my input and maintains the old invalid IP address for this one device.

I have already performed a factory reset on the Orbi, and the old IP address, for some reason, is stuck on the Pentair adapter MAC.  Never seen this happen before, and running out of ideas.  Out of curiosity, does the satellite possibly maintain a copy of the old IP address?  When I performed a factory reset of the router, the satellite was probably still powered up.  Like I said, I'm running out of ideas.  Thanks...

Message 5 of 13
dano17
Tutor

Thanks for your post.  The modem is not a router also.  It is a Netgear CM1100.  

Message 6 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@dano17 wrote:

When I performed a factory reset of the router, the satellite was probably still powered up.  Like I said, I'm running out of ideas.

That is certainly easy to test.  Power off ALL of the Orbis.  (Not "reset", simply power off.)  Then restart them.  The satellite should remember *nothing*.

Still looking for the model number of that Pentair controller/adapter to see how to set it up from scratch.

Message 7 of 13
eljarviso
Luminary

You should be able to change the settings on the web interface in advanced -> setup -> LAN setup. You should be able to change the routers LAN IP which should change the subnet dhcp uses. Unfortunately I’m running my setup in AP mode so this section is greyed out and I can’t get into it to see exactly what settings need to be changed.
Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I would factory reset the RBR. I would also factory reset the CM1100 as well. Set both up from scratch. Ensure LAG is disabled on the CM1100. Walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser. You should be acessing the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 here. 

Use a different web broswer when walking thru the setup wizard. I use IE11, Firefox or Opera. Opera most of the time. 

I have this same setup and modem and FW version. I actually have two Orbisystems conencted to the one CM1100. RBK50 and RBK853. Both get different WAN IP addresses on the WAN side. The RBK50 I set for 192.168.0.1 and the 850 system I set for 192.168.1.1 on the LAN sides.

@dano17 wrote:

Thank you for the quick post advice.  Unfortunately, I see no way to change the IP address per your advice "go into the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, LAN Setup, and assign a specific IP address to the Pentair using the MAC address shown on the Attached Devices display".  I have tried to block the device, as well as reserve it's IP address to a 192.168.1.XXX address, but the old 172.16.0.9 IP address remains no matter what I do.  This seems like a bug to me.  Your advice seems routine for other routers (my previous router was a an older Netgear, which I used this feature on occasion).  So, even when I try to reserve a proper address, the router ignores my input and maintains the old invalid IP address for this one device.

I have already performed a factory reset on the Orbi, and the old IP address, for some reason, is stuck on the Pentair adapter MAC.  Never seen this happen before, and running out of ideas.  Out of curiosity, does the satellite possibly maintain a copy of the old IP address?  When I performed a factory reset of the router, the satellite was probably still powered up.  Like I said, I'm running out of ideas.  Thanks...

Message 9 of 13
dano17
Tutor

Thanks again to all who responded to my posts.  I was able to isolate the issue to the Pentair protocol adapter not releasing it's old IP address by reverting back to my older Netgear WNDR3700, where it displayed the same bad IP address.  A tech support call to Pentair provided some critical undocumented steps to reset the protocol adapter (the reset button on the adapter must be pushed 3 times within 2 seconds).  The adapter then released the old IP address and accepted a new one assigned by the router.  I also regressed back to the RBR50 / RBS50 V2.3.5.30 firmware to address the buggy 2.5.1.8 firmware whereby the devices (including the satellite) disappear over time rather than showing as attached devices.  I'm back up and running now.  I'm disappointed in the Orbi firmware, as there has been something wrong with each version that prevented it from operating as advertised.  The stuck IP address, however, was a Pentair documentation issue, compounded by the Orbi firmware update.  Thanks again for the assistance, and hope my post can help someone else in the future.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

v2.5.1.8 isn't buggy in that regard. All my devices are still seen in the UI along with the RBS long after loading FW. 

Next time you update FW, please factory reset the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. You may have run in to a configuration from prior FW version to new FW version which caused what you saw which needs a factory reset to clear out any prior configurations.

v2.5.1.8 does work well. 

Glad you found the problem though and it wasn't Orbi. Sounds like it wasn't compounded rather pointed to something that wasn't in Orbi FW to handle correctly after the update happened. Again, a factory reset would help here. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 13
dano17
Tutor

Interesting that you don't have the disappearing device symptom.  I did read other posts that had the same problem as me.  So, you updated firmware to 2.5.1.8 and then immediately performed a factory reset?  No issues with 2.5.1.8?  I did perform a factory reset, but not immediately after the firmware update.  Eventually, all devices disappeared according to the user interface, including the satellite, even though they were all still connected and working.  I'm not ready to sink a bunch more time in the setup process right now, but I might try at  some time in the future if you aren't seeing issues with disappearing devices.  

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe I didn't factory reset mine on v2.5.1.8, however it been a while since I updated. Mine is also in AP mode currnetly. All my devices are seen and present as well. Have never seen devices disappear. 

I would try a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

Also can try Voxels Orbi FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/td-p/183...

Good Luck. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7