Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem with wired connection RBR40.

beckss1
Tutor

Problem with wired connection RBR40.

Dear community.

I worked with my ORBI (RBR40) for 5 months and today I connect (wired) to router IX220 (LenovoEMC Storage). Two things happened, that I would like ask gurus:

1. After connection I see, that storage receieved IP from WLAN of router. This mean from subnet 10.0.0.X and not from 192.168.1.X. How this happaned and if I need something configurate please explain me.

2, And very strange, that after connection sattelite, that worked properly start to disconnect. From starting this problem I thinked, that this something happened in home connection, but only after diconnect wire from router  sattelite start work wothout any disconnects.

Anybody have this issues and how resolve them please

Best regards,

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 29
ekhalil
Master

Looks that you have two routers providing DHCP functionality: Orbi and your ISP router.
You have to either bridge your ISP router or change Orbi to AP mode.
Message 2 of 29
beckss1
Tutor

Thanks for quick answer, but if I use wireless connection in home all devices are connected to Orbi WLAN (I mean 192.168.1.X) and not to ISP addresses. 

Why  wired connection is not use it if I connect to ORBI router?

Thanks and best regards,

Message 3 of 29
ekhalil
Master

Because when you attach to wifi the device gets (as part if the wifi attach procedure) the Orbi IP address as the gateway and DHCP server address, but this is not the case for wired devices, where this will be random, the server that replies first will be the gateway, so the same device can get the IP address one time from the ISP router and other time from Orbi.
It’s not recommended to have two routers in your network, you will get many such random issues.
Message 4 of 29

@beckss1 wrote:

1. After connection I see, that storage receieved IP from WLAN of router. This mean from subnet 10.0.0.X and not from 192.168.1.X. How this happaned and if I need something configurate please explain me.

This is the giveaway sign of the suggestion by @ekhalil.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with competing DHCP servers and local address conflicts. To avoid that you may need to set the routers up with the right DHCP and IP address settings.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers, to create two separate networks for example, it is usually easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point, as @ekhalil suggests. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

Message 5 of 29

@beckss1 wrote:

...today I connect (wired) to router IX220 (LenovoEMC Storage).

It might be a good idea if you explained what that means.

I doubt if there are many people who are familiar with LenovoEMC Storage.

What is it? What does it do?

Message 6 of 29
ekhalil
Master

@michaelkenward wrote

It might be a good idea if you explained what that means.

I doubt if there are many people who are familiar with LenovoEMC Storage.

What is it? What does it do?

@michaelkenward LenovoEMC Storage is a network high density storage drive

Message 7 of 29

LenovoEMC Storage is a network high density storage drive

Yes, I found that, but I could not understand how it related to this bit on the original message

"router IX220 (LenovoEMC Storage)".

What has "router IX220" got to do with "LenovoEMC Storage". Are they the same thing?

Is LenovoEMC Storage also a router? If not, how does this tie in with the idea that two routers are suddenly on the same network?

Message 8 of 29
beckss1
Tutor

Good morning.
Thank for all guys. First of all second question is not relevant (disconnect sattelite). It was resolved and find solution in my above post.
But about first question I try to clarify. I connect network storage (Lenovo) with wired to my router and thinker, that is router has IP 192.168.1.X and all attached home wifi devices into this WLAN, then also storage will be into above range IP.
What I need to define and please point me to relevant post for reading and understanding.
Thanks and regards.
Message 9 of 29

We still have not unravelled the answer to this comment from @ekhalil

Looks that you have two routers providing DHCP functionality:

What is the modem in front of all this?

It does not help that your latest message is puzzling. For example, what does this next bit mean?

@beckss1 wrote:

I connect network storage (Lenovo) with wired to my router and thinker

Thinker?

Then there is this bit:

router has IP 192.168.1.X and all attached home wifi devices into this WLAN, then also storage will be into above range IP.

I'm baffled.

Sorry about that. Maybe someone else can interpret your message and what is going on.

Message 10 of 29
beckss1
Tutor

I try clarify situation
I have a ISP modem (connected before Orbi router). It IP is 10.0.0.X. and Orbi in give me IP 192.168.1.X. to all wifi devices. When I connect storage with network cabel to Orbi I see into mobile application, that it received IP 10.0.0.X+10.
I thanked, that all devices that connected to Orbi router will give me 192.168.1.X range.
Please reply if I can't explain right.
Thanks
Message 11 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

@beckss1 wrote:
I try clarify situation
I have a ISP modem (connected before Orbi router). It IP is 10.0.0.X. and Orbi in give me IP 192.168.1.X. to all wifi devices. When I connect storage with network cabel to Orbi I see into mobile application, that it received IP 10.0.0.X+10.
I thanked, that all devices that connected to Orbi router will give me 192.168.1.X range.
Please reply if I can't explain right.
Thanks

Message 12 of 29

@beckss1 wrote:

I have a ISP modem (connected before Orbi router). It IP is 10.0.0.X. and Orbi in give me IP 192.168.1.X. to all wifi devices.

Maybe we are getting somewhere.

Those IP addresses suggest that you may have two routers on your network. That is what @ekhalil suggested in the first response to your original message.

So, answer the latest question from @FURRYe38 and we may get nearer to an answer.

Message 13 of 29
randomousity
Luminary

So, it sounds like your ISP modem is also a router. Is this correct?

10.x.x.x is a class A private IP address, meaning it is not routable on the internet at large, and while it's possible that that's the IP address your ISP has assigned to your modem, it's likely that your modem has a global IP address facing the WAN, and is using the 10.x.x.x network on the LAN side, and that the modem/router is performing NAT.

Then, the Orbi is connected to the modem/router's LAN port, and the Orbi is using the 192.168.x.x network, which is a class C private IP network, also not routable, and that the Orbi is also performing NAT between its LAN and WAN sides.

If this is the case, then you should either use the Orbi in AP mode, so that you only have one device performing DHCP and routing on your network, or keep the Orbi in router mode and either set the modem to bridge mode, or put the Orbi in the DMZ.

Generally, you should only have one device acting as a router and DHCP server on your network. Also, if you disconnect the Orbi from your modem (which I assume is also a router and DHCP server), and then connect the Lenovo storage device, the Orbi will be the only DHCP server the Lenovo can reach, and it will be assigned everything by the Orbi, giving it an IP address on the 192.168.1.x network. Then, if you connect the Orbi back to your modem, the Lenovo should retain the Orbi-assigned configuration. If everything else works properly, that should solve your problem (though, again, ideally, you would want to change the configuration on either the Orbi or the modem so that only one of them acs as a router). This may be an easier solution, though setting it so you only have one router/DHCP server on your network is a better solution.

Message 14 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

@randomousity

Why we are trying to identify his ISP modem...

Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 29

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@randomousity

Smiley Wink

If four or five of us say the same think, albeit in fewer words, perhaps we are on to something.

I can't wait to get the answer.

Message 16 of 29
ekhalil
Master

Thanks @michaelkenward and @randomousity for confirming the theory 🙂

@beckss1, as suggested in the first reply, please either bridge your ISP router or change Orbi to AP mode. We all believe that the root cause of your issue is the fact that you have 2 DHCP servers, leading to that different devices are getting IP addresses from 2 different DHCP pools.

Message 17 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Same here.... LOL

@michaelkenward wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@randomousity

Smiley Wink

If four or five of us say the same think, albeit in fewer words, perhaps we are on to something.

I can't wait to get the answer.

Message 18 of 29
beckss1
Tutor

Thanks for guys for replying.
I will check and read how to change Orbi to AP mode and will check you solutions.
Thanks and regards.
Message 19 of 29
beckss1
Tutor

Re: Problem with wired connection RBR40

By the way ISP modem is "Dual band wireless N600 VDSL modem router"
Message 20 of 29
ekhalil
Master

@beckss1 wrote:

Thanks, then for sure this is a router! 😉

Message 21 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to try one of the following for your ISP modem:

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Thanks for letting us know about the modem. 

@beckss1 wrote:

Message 22 of 29
beckss1
Tutor

Hi.
Sorry for my stupid question. If I will change Orbi from router to AP mode I need make something additional configuration or just change into advance section and all definitions, that were saved on router , will be worked.
Thanks.
Message 23 of 29
ekhalil
Master

@beckss1 wrote:
Hi.
Sorry for my stupid question. If I will change Orbi from router to AP mode I need make something additional configuration or just change into advance section and all definitions, that were saved on router , will be worked.
Thanks.

Yes, basically all basic settings will stay the same. Only router related functionality, like DHCP, VPN, DDNS, .. will cease to work from Orbi and you should get equivalent functionality from your ISP router instead.

Message 24 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

You can also save your router configuration to file as well if you want to for use later. Smiley Wink

@beckss1 wrote:
Hi.
Thanks.

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7