Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problems with AP mode but DHCP is still ON

rhett7660
Aspirant

Problems with AP mode but DHCP is still ON

Hello,

I have my Orbi setup in AP mode however the settings are still showing DHCP has ON.  I have gone in and switched it back to "Router" mode, gone back under the Setup-LAN Setup and unchecked the DHCP.  Then went back and switched it to AP mode and DHCP comes back on.  How do I disable the DHCP on this device for AP mode?

I have the following:

Verizon FiOS-G1100 - Handleing the DHCP

Orbi BRB40 - I want to be in bridge mode only, not handling the DHCP

Orbi Firmware Version: V2.1.4.16

Any help on this?  I have restared both the Verizon and the Orbi several times and have also reset the Orbi to factory and resetup. 

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Mine does, yes.  It evidently means DHCP client mode, not DHCP server mode. As in AP mode with dynamic IP versus fixed IP.

Unless the OP has indication the Orbi is handing out DHCP addresses in AP mode (which it does not do), there is nothing to be concerned about.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 13

All Replies
rhett7660
Aspirant

Also, I have the wifi turned off on the Verizon.

Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

So do a factory reset on the RBR, setup from scratch. Go in and set the AP mode setting. Apply and reboot. Do this while the RBR is not connected to anything accept for 1 wired PC.Reboot the PC or disconnect the LAN cable from the RBR for 10 seconds then plug it back in. After making the change and the RBR reboots, does the wired PC get a IP address after it reboots? It shouldn't. If it still does, then you may have a bad system and would need to contact NG support and ask for a replacement.

Message 3 of 13
rhett7660
Aspirant

@FURRYe38

Thank you for the quick response will try this out and report back.

Message 4 of 13
st_shaw
Master

DO NOT reset and start from Scratch.  What you see is normal but maybe confusing.  It says DHCP ON becase the Orbi is set to receive its IP address via DHCP from your router.

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

So the UI will show DHCP enabled even though in AP mode?

@st_shaw wrote:

DO NOT reset and start from Scratch.  What you see is normal but maybe confusing.  It says DHCP ON becase the Orbi is set to receive its IP address via DHCP from your router.

Message 6 of 13
st_shaw
Master

Mine does, yes.  It evidently means DHCP client mode, not DHCP server mode. As in AP mode with dynamic IP versus fixed IP.

Unless the OP has indication the Orbi is handing out DHCP addresses in AP mode (which it does not do), there is nothing to be concerned about.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, will keep that in mind then. Test I had him do will verify he shouldn't be getting an IP address if it's disconnected from other DHCP server. Then he should be fine.

Message 8 of 13
rhett7660
Aspirant

So I should still see items that are hardwired to my network show up on the Orbi even though it is set up as a wifi only?

Message 9 of 13
rhett7660
Aspirant

I am glad I saw this before I reset everything!

The reason I was concerned about this was because I am trying to setup remote connection to my Plex server and it was mentioned that I might have a two routers issuing IP Address via DHCP which would cause confusion to Plex.  So when I checked that is what I saw, hence my post.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, you should be ok as is...

If you connect the Orbi in AP mode to the main host router, all devices should get an IP address from the main host router thru the Orbi...

Message 11 of 13
rhett7660
Aspirant

Great and thank you!

Looks like I am off to try another route.  At least I can rule out this as a possible issue/problem.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7