Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problems with RBR50 and RBS50

willyski
Tutor

Problems with RBR50 and RBS50

I have been wrestling with this for the past week and spent the last two days resetting my router and then reconnecting all my devices.  It appears this issue occurred with the last firmware update 2.5.0.38.  My satellite is only broadcasting in th 5g range and none of my devices that use to connect to it no longer can.  I got everything working yesterday but today I lost connectivity again.  My main router, the RBR50 is hardwared to a gateway so I have it set up as an AP point.  The Satellite, RBS50 is wified to the Orbi RBR50.  I am at wits end.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Ensure the wifi radios on this routers is FULLY turned OFF. 

Are you resetting both RBR and RBS? Back reset button for 15 seconds then let go? 

You can setup the RBR first for AP mode configuration with out it being connected to the main host router. Just connect a wired PC to the RBR and set up from there, once all setup on the RBR, power off and connect it to the main host router. Check with a wifi analyzer on a PAD if you have one to see that each radio is broadcasting from the RBR. 2.4 and 5Ghz SSIDs should be seen. 

I would setup the RBR first for AP mode. Get it configured and online with the main host router. Once setup, give it some time. Then setup the RBS. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Are they using any channels the Orbi system is using? 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Ensure the wifi radios on this routers is FULLY turned OFF. 

Are you resetting both RBR and RBS? Back reset button for 15 seconds then let go? 

You can setup the RBR first for AP mode configuration with out it being connected to the main host router. Just connect a wired PC to the RBR and set up from there, once all setup on the RBR, power off and connect it to the main host router. Check with a wifi analyzer on a PAD if you have one to see that each radio is broadcasting from the RBR. 2.4 and 5Ghz SSIDs should be seen. 

I would setup the RBR first for AP mode. Get it configured and online with the main host router. Once setup, give it some time. Then setup the RBS. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Are they using any channels the Orbi system is using? 

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? Hope this has helped...

@willyski wrote:

I have been wrestling with this for the past week and spent the last two days resetting my router and then reconnecting all my devices.  It appears this issue occurred with the last firmware update 2.5.0.38.  My satellite is only broadcasting in th 5g range and none of my devices that use to connect to it no longer can.  I got everything working yesterday but today I lost connectivity again.  My main router, the RBR50 is hardwared to a gateway so I have it set up as an AP point.  The Satellite, RBS50 is wified to the Orbi RBR50.  I am at wits end.

Message 3 of 9
willyski
Tutor

I did find out that when I was reseting the Orbi, I was not holding the reset button long enough.  The problem went away for a few days and then reemerged.  I went into my settings and changed the frequency from Auto to a specific channel and immediately saw the results.  Thanks a lot for the tips.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

AH ok. Yes, 15 seconds is recommended press with the back reset button, then let go.

Glad it's working for you now. 

Enjoy. 

Message 5 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I doubt this is solved IF you're still running 2.5.0.38.

Message 6 of 9
willyski
Tutor

You are correct because after a day, my problems resurfaced as I started to experience drop outs on the main floor of my house.  I did some detective work and discovered that my Satellite has no connection in the 2.4 ghz band.  After reading what others are experiencing, I downgraded my firmware to 2.3.5.30 on both the Orbi and Satellite in hopes that it would cure my ails.  The Orbi is in the basement and the satellite is on the main floor approx 35' away. "The satellite displayed a blue ring and am getting good connections in the 5 ghz band which right now, just my ring door bell is attached to it.  I have other devices on the main floor, some of which are drawing the 2.4ghz band through the main Orbi router.  My Orbis are set up as AP points with the Main Orbi connecting to an ethernet port on a Leviton 47611-WG4 with the wifi signal turned off.  My modem is through Spectrum, Cisco Model #DPC 3008.  My Desktop running Win 10 is connected to the ethernet port on the Main Orbi.  At this point, I don't know why my devices on the main floor default to the 2.4 ghz band on the main Orbi which is located in the basement.  Before I monkey things up further, I thought I would try once again and ask for some help.  Thanks

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 7 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My recommendation is to run the orbi router as your only router.  Running 2 routers can be done but comes with challenges. The orbi is a fairy strong router which should provide more than enough WiFi. 

You’re right about the firmware.  What’s sad is that some on here who are fully aware that the firmware is bad still ask dozens of questions which at the end of day waste your time.  

Good luck 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Any chance of getting the RBR out of the basement? Not a recommended place for the RBR. Main floor would be preferred. 

@willyski wrote:

You are correct because after a day, my problems resurfaced as I started to experience drop outs on the main floor of my house.  I did some detective work and discovered that my Satellite has no connection in the 2.4 ghz band.  After reading what others are experiencing, I downgraded my firmware to 2.3.5.30 on both the Orbi and Satellite in hopes that it would cure my ails.  The Orbi is in the basement and the satellite is on the main floor approx 35' away. "The satellite displayed a blue ring and am getting good connections in the 5 ghz band which right now, just my ring door bell is attached to it.  I have other devices on the main floor, some of which are drawing the 2.4ghz band through the main Orbi router.  My Orbis are set up as AP points with the Main Orbi connecting to an ethernet port on a Leviton 47611-WG4 with the wifi signal turned off.  My modem is through Spectrum, Cisco Model #DPC 3008.  My Desktop running Win 10 is connected to the ethernet port on the Main Orbi.  At this point, I don't know why my devices on the main floor default to the 2.4 ghz band on the main Orbi which is located in the basement.  Before I monkey things up further, I thought I would try once again and ask for some help.  Thanks

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7