Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Proper channel

Gellie
Aspirant

Proper channel

I have my orbi connected to a Verizon Actiontec router that is selected on channel 5. Should I leave my Orbi on automatc or should I select a channel that has less traffic in my neighborhood? I am noticing some slight drops. Thx

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

ALL Wireless should be disabled on the actiontec router.

Channels to use on the Orbi are 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 17
Gellie
Aspirant

Thanks. I think some of your suggestions are over my pay grade. I currently use my network as follows: Most of my family is in the verizon network, I use for work a verizon MOCA extender in my office. The Orbi is just for some dead spots in my house.

What would I benefit from turning the wireless of on my verizon router?

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

A source of interference and Orbi having problematic wireless issues. Having other wireless sources to close and using same channels can cause problems.

Message 4 of 17
Gellie
Aspirant

Im using the Orbi as a replacement for my old Airport Extreme/Express. That system was set up in bridge mode. Is there any benefit in setting the Orbi in Bridge mode?

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

You mean AP mode? AP mode is if your going to use a different router and DHCP services and only need the Orbi's wifi. If you use AP mode, then most other features like routering, DHCP, traffic meter some other features will not be available for use. This is standard for this mode. Orbi doesn't support bridge mode.

Message 6 of 17
Mozez
Guide

Hi Gellie,

Furrye38's advice is correct. You should never allow the ORBI to auto-pick the 2.4GHz channel. I have seen my ORBI use channel 4, 8,9..etc,  all which are over-lapping channels (before I tuned my Wi-Fi environment). One of the key things about Wi-Fi is understanding that LESS is more. It really is. The more Wi-Fi routers/AP there are around you (including your neighbors), the worst the performance will likely become due to something called Wi-Fi Adjacent-Channel inteference. I have the FIOS Quantum router and the ORBI RBK33. I disable the FIOS router's Wi-Fi, since the ORBI Wi-Fi performance and coverage is vastly superior. For real-world performance, what that translates to is this: I connect my iPhone to my FIOS router wifi and run a speedtest, I average about 300Mbps both ways. I connect to the ORBI and run the same test - Speedtest jumps to around 600Mbps both ways. That's why I use the ORBI. 🙂  The FIOS quantum router is rated for 325sq feet coverage. The ORBI router is rated for 2000sq feet.

I use a free tool called InSIDDer and they have a good article (on their website) about understanding why you should only select channel 1, 6 or 11 and why you need to tweak your Wi-Fi at home for optimal performance. The article will also help you understand Adjacent and Co-Channel, the latter being something that the Orbi router and its satellite uses.

You can using any Wi-Fi analyser tool to figure out what channels are in used by everyone and tweak your Wi-Fi settings for the best performance. There's no one-size fits all. If you can't find a free channel, co-channeling will be the next best option. Personally, I like inSIDDer for one reason - it gives your a 'link' score that factors in signal strength, interference and recommends another channel for you (both 2.4GHz and 5GHz band). Before I tweaked my network, my 2.4GHz insidder link score was 11 and after I changed it, it jumped to 71 (100 being the perfect score). It's not just arbitary numbers. My speedtest numbers increased significantly. When I start my WEMO app, all the devices pop-up instantly where as before, they would take 4-5 secs scanning for all the devices first. There's no lag when watching my Ring DoorBell's live view or security cameras (all which uses the 2.4GHz band).  That's the potential benefit of tweaking your Wi-Fi channel/environment. It's also not a 'set and forget' process. You should still check your channels periodically to make sure that your neighbors did not change theirs and having that change affect yours. Unless you are lucky enough to live with neighbors who don't have Wi-Fi. 🙂

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 7 of 17
Gellie
Aspirant

Thank you. So I’m assuming if I turn the Wi-Fi off at my fios router I will have to connect all my devices to the Orbi system? What about by mocha router all that now be disabled as well?
Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

The Orbi system is designed to handle all of your wireless needs.

Having other wifi near by or in close proximity can and does cause problems with any wifi router.

Message 9 of 17
Gellie
Aspirant

Once I turn off the Wi-Fi I’m my fios router, do I need to make any other changes? Thx
Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

SHouldn't. 

You can set up manual channels 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4ghz on the Orib. 

I would disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming as well. 

Message 11 of 17
Mozez
Guide

Hi Gellie,

Your moca router will still stay as the Verizon router.  This is especially important if you have cable service with Verizon and use the on-demand cable movie features. That one requires that you to keep using the Verizon as the router.

If you primarily use the ORBI for Wi-Fi only, I would suggest putting it into AP mode. That will simplify its feature yet keep it's killer performance. That's how I have mine set up. Your Verizon router will continue to be the main router, serving as the DHCP server (assisting all devices IP addreses), DNS, firewall and routing....etc.

If your ORBI has the exact same Wi-Fi SSID and password as the verizon router SSID, all the devices will automatically connect to it once you disable the Verizon Wi-Fi.

Message 12 of 17
Gellie
Aspirant

Thanks. I would like to try that. How do I put the orbi in AP mode? 

Message 13 of 17
Gellie
Aspirant

Ok found it. Do I also need to "I would disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming as well. "?

right now i have the following checked:

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable Fast Roaming
Message 14 of 17
Mozez
Guide

Hi Gellie,

Personally, I have all mine checked and I don't experience issues with my devices dropping off the Wi-Fi network. If you do (in particular, older Wi-Fi devices), you should leave those unchecked.

I see them as: checked for performance and unchecked for stability. 

Regards,

Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Leave Beamforming enabled. If you have any known MIMO supporting devices you can enable this as well, if not, disable it and Fast Roaming. Daisy Chain is for two or more satellites set up in a line piggybacking off each other. I recommend disabling this for now.

@Gellie wrote:

Ok found it. Do I also need to "I would disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming as well. "?

right now i have the following checked:

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable Fast Roaming

Message 16 of 17
Gellie
Aspirant

Also are these drops normal?

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 kudos