Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: [Q] Force a device onto router or satellite

john-iv
Follower

[Q] Force a device onto router or satellite

Orbi arrived today, setting it up.  Once I'm in the advanced setup I'm looking at admin / attached devices and see the devices connected to the router and those connected to the satellite.  A couple of my devices are in the same room as the satellite but are being erroneously coupled to the farther away router.  How can I force them onto the satellite?  Thanks -

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4

hi generally restarting the sat and router a few times will sort this out , you also need to ensure the router and sat are at least 10 meters or about 40 to 50 feet apart and pref in different rooms 

pete

Message 2 of 4
JBMN
Star

Following this since I have a similar issue.  Need to get the wifi analyzer out to 100% ensure that the router isn't the strongest signal (even though it's much further away), but simply moving the router and satellite further away didn't solve it. 

Message 3 of 4

if using some sort of wifi analyzer like inssider etc , what you want to see is -70db or above for the device at distance and -25 to 30db for the closest device 

the middle point between the router and say you should be reading about -50db for each transmission 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7