Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

QoS on Orbi

maurice_cat
Follower

QoS on Orbi

Hi,

As I noticed, many people complain about the lack of proper QoS on the Orbi system.

My questions :

(1) Does Netgear realize there IS a need from many users to get QoS on Orbi ?

(2) If yes, is this prioritized ? Is the product manager or Orbi aware ?

(3) Apparently Dynamic QoS is the solution : "it improves online gaming and online streaming quality by prioritizing Internet bandwidth usage. When the router detects online gaming and online streaming traffic, the router tries to limit background traffic such as BitTorrent or FTP downloads to improve gaming and streaming."

The issue is : I don't want online gaming to be prioritized neither improved. In times of Covid, where people are recommended to work from home (not sure how it is in the USA, but in Europe, that's definitely the way to go), it's necessary to get a proper bandwidth for video calls, which do get prioritized above gaming and other non-productive stuff.

Does Netgear agree ?

If so, what can be done ?

Thanks,

Maurice

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: QoS on Orbi

@maurice_cat wrote:

Hi,

As I noticed, many people complain about the lack of proper QoS on the Orbi system.

My questions :

(1) Does Netgear realize there IS a need from many users to get QoS on Orbi ?

(2) If yes, is this prioritized ? Is the product manager or Orbi aware ?

(3) Apparently Dynamic QoS is the solution : "it improves online gaming and online streaming quality by prioritizing Internet bandwidth usage. When the router detects online gaming and online streaming traffic, the router tries to limit background traffic such as BitTorrent or FTP downloads to improve gaming and streaming."

The issue is : I don't want online gaming to be prioritized neither improved. In times of Covid, where people are recommended to work from home (not sure how it is in the USA, but in Europe, that's definitely the way to go), it's necessary to get a proper bandwidth for video calls, which do get prioritized above gaming and other non-productive stuff.

Does Netgear agree ?

If so, what can be done ?

Thanks,

Maurice

You raise good questions.  I really wish that Netgear employees participated in the community forums and could offer insights into the situation, as all of us "users" are sort of like the six blind men describing an elephant.  Alas, as far as I can determine, there are no Netgear employees involved in the forums.

I agree entirely that some Orbi owners would welcome the ability to prioritize or allocate internet access.  It is clear that the Orbi product line offers no such capability.  I looked at the User Manual for the new Nighthawk RAX80 WiFi router.  It appears to offer only (a) dynamic QoS using a set of parameters maintained by Netgear, or (b) no QoS.  (There is a bizzare option to make updating this table automatic or manual, but no option to enter values into the table.)  There is also an option to turn on WiFi Multimedia Quality of Service which prioritizes voice/video (over gaming? why only WiFi?), but also appears to require that apps be written to take advantage of it.

Nowhere do I find any option to say, "I want MY WORK COMPUTER to get more bandwidth than the kids video games."

Having only the Orbi, I have no idea what other router vendors provide.  It appears (to me) that anyone looking for manual control over network usage will need to look to a vendor other than Netgear.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7