Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RB50 Firmware says no update,, netter says there is

DenebQuarlo
Follower

RB50 Firmware says no update,, netter says there is

My 4 Orbi RBR50 routers are using Router Firmware version V2.7.4.24 and that no new versions are available
However the netgear site says that the current version is 2.7.5.4
Which is correct?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@DenebQuarlo wrote:

My 4 Orbi RBR50 routers are using Router Firmware version V2.7.4.24 and that no new versions are available
Which is correct?

Both are correct because Netgear has a staged firmware rollout practice.

• Unless the firmware addresses a direly critical issue that places customers at extreme risk, new firmware is placed on the Netgear support site where eager customers can discover it, download the files, and manually install the firmware on their devices.  Often these customers experience "issues" and comment on the user forums.  On at least a couple of occasions, the experience has been so unfortunate that the new firmware was removed from the support site.  Only the customers who "did it to themselves" were affected.  I, myself, prefer to read posts about new firmware until there appears to be a consensus.  Only after 6-8 weeks, do I consider a manual update.
  • When the reports appear to be acceptable, Netgear sets some internal flag that causes routers to become aware that the update is available. Customers who open the Firmware Update module on their router may notice the new firmware and choose to update.
  • At a later date, Netgear causes the Orbi web interface and Orbi 'app' to notify users of new firmware with prominent displays on the home page.  "Hey, you.  New Firmware!"  Customers can choose to ignore these notices.  Customers who never look at the web interface or Orbi app will remain blissfully ignorant.
  • Finally, Netgear may say, "Enough already." and silently push the new firmware in the middle of the night (over a period of time).

Firmware v2.7.5.4 for the original Orbi ac product appears to be still in the first stage. The Release Notes are pretty vague: https://kb.netgear.com/000065539/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-5-4   Nothing screams out, "DANGER.  UPDATE OR ELSE."

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Some versions of FW may not be posted to the Auto Update servers. Historical problems are known for FW updates coming from auto updates. Recommend manually updating the system:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Wi-Fi-5-AC-and-Orbi-with/New-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-...

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

@DenebQuarlo wrote:

Which is correct?

Both are correct because Netgear has a staged firmware rollout practice.

• Unless the firmware addresses a direly critical issue that places customers at extreme risk, new firmware is placed on the Netgear support site where eager customers can discover it, download the files, and manually install the firmware on their devices.  Often these customers experience "issues" and comment on the user forums.  On at least a couple of occasions, the experience has been so unfortunate that the new firmware was removed from the support site.  Only the customers who "did it to themselves" were affected.  I, myself, prefer to read posts about new firmware until there appears to be a consensus.  Only after 6-8 weeks, do I consider a manual update.
  • When the reports appear to be acceptable, Netgear sets some internal flag that causes routers to become aware that the update is available. Customers who open the Firmware Update module on their router may notice the new firmware and choose to update.
  • At a later date, Netgear causes the Orbi web interface and Orbi 'app' to notify users of new firmware with prominent displays on the home page.  "Hey, you.  New Firmware!"  Customers can choose to ignore these notices.  Customers who never look at the web interface or Orbi app will remain blissfully ignorant.
  • Finally, Netgear may say, "Enough already." and silently push the new firmware in the middle of the night (over a period of time).

Firmware v2.7.5.4 for the original Orbi ac product appears to be still in the first stage. The Release Notes are pretty vague: https://kb.netgear.com/000065539/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-5-4   Nothing screams out, "DANGER.  UPDATE OR ELSE."

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7