Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK Ethernet vs. Wireless Satellites

cjaubert
Aspirant

RBK Ethernet vs. Wireless Satellites

I have an Orbi RBK40 router, two RBS40 Satellites, and one RBS30 satellite in a 6500 square foot, three story house. I'm using the RBK40 as the actual router/modem for the network - I do not have or use a Frontier router/modem. The RBK40 router is on the second (middle) floor of the three floors; one RBS40 satellite is on the third (upper) floor, and the second RBS40 is on the first (bottom) floor. The RBS30 satellite is on the second floor with the RBK40, but on the other side of the house, and it works fine - the backhaul is "good."

My problem/question is this: the RBS40 Satellites connect fine to the RBK40 via wireless, although the Backhaul Connection shows "poor". No Ethernet cables are plugged into either satellite, because I don't need them - I simply want to extend the WiFi signal WiFi on each satellite. Because of the "poor" backhaul, I'd like to try connecting the RBS40 Satellites to the network via Ethernet, rather than WiFi.

To do this, I simply plug an Ethernet cable into one of the four open ports on the back of each satellite, which is then connected to a wall port that goes right to the switch for the router. When I do this, however, the whole WiFi shuts down. This is true if I plug in either satellite alone, or both together at the same time. If I unplug the Ethernet cables, the network comes back up. 

I'm convinced that I set this up as all the instructions I can find say, but I can't get the satellites to connect and extend the network by Ethernet. I am stumped. Am I doing something wrong? 

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK Ethernet vs. Wireless Satellites

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Any network switches in the house? If so, Mfr and model#?

To connect wired ethernet:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

If you have them first set up wireless, Turn OFF all satellites, take one satellite at a time, and connect it directly in back of the Orbi router. Do this while in the same room as the Orbi router. After connecting, give it 5 minutes. the top led on the satellite should turn ON BLUE. I would set up an IP address reservation ON the router for each satellite after you get it connected wired eithernet. Once this is done, turn it off and take it and place it in the remote location. Do this same process for all satellites.

Message 2 of 7
cjaubert
Aspirant

Thanks for the response - I really appreciate it:

1. Firmware is up to date;

2. As I mentioned in the post, I have no modem - Frontier's signal comes right into their ODB, which then goes right to my Netgear 16 port switch, which then feeds the house. The run from the ODB is probably 100 linear feet, but if I had to put a switch in, it would be in the same location as the Orbi.

3. Good thoughts on taking it all apart, moving it to the same place, setting up the reservation, and moving it back. I'll try that tonight or this weekend. (P.S. By "reservation," I assume you mean assigning a forced IP address?)

Thanks!

Message 3 of 7
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

@cjaubert, reserving the IP for each satellite really helps in stabilizing the Orbi system.  Definitely try that as @FURRYe38 suggests.  Also, make sure "daisy chain" setting in the Advanced Wireless Settings tab is set to off.  I have never been able to get the ethernet backhaul to work with it enabled.

You had mentioned you had a Netgear 16 port switch.  By any chance is it a managed switch? Managed switches cause chaos with the Orbi when trying to connect to the wired backhaul.  Consider switiching the switch (HA!) to an unmanaged type if the Netgear one you have is managed.

Message 4 of 7
cjaubert
Aspirant

Got it, thanks. Daisy chaining is already off. Netgear switch is NOT managed. Thanks again! 

Message 5 of 7
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

@cjaubert wrote:

2. As I mentioned in the post, I have no modem - Frontier's signal comes right into their ODB, which then goes right to my Netgear 16 port switch, which then feeds the house. The run from the ODB is probably 100 linear feet, but if I had to put a switch in, it would be in the same location as the Orbi.

@cjaubert, your internet line goes straight into the switch, and then you connect each of the Orbis (main and satellites) to the switch directly? This might be the problem.  Try connecting the feed line from Frontier's ODB directly to your Orbi router's WAN port, then connect the switch to the Orbi router through one of the LAN ports.  

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7