Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK13 Guest Network

dl42
Aspirant

RBK13 Guest Network

Hi

I had not logged into the orbi app for a while as everything seems to have been working fine and there have not been any recent updates to the firmware.

When I logged in today I noted that the " Allow guests to see each other" option was selected and greyed out for my guest network.

After a moment of panic...I checked and lo and behold when connected to the guest network other devices on the network CANNOT be seen as was my initial expectation before seeing this option.   So the indication is incorrect and I am not even to select this if I did want to!   Running  2.7.3.22.

Anyone else seen this behaviour??

Message 1 of 15
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi dl42,

I understand that you would like to know if the guest network is supposed to be separated from the main network devices. 

The answer is yes, the devices on the guest network will not be able to connect to any devices on your main network. This is done to ensure that the information on your main network is secured. If you would like all of the devices on your network to be able to communicate then all the devices will have to be connected to your main network. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions!!

Best,

Kevin 

Community Team

Message 2 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@dl42 wrote:

When I logged in today I noted that the " Allow guests to see each other" option was selected and greyed out for my guest network.

After a moment of panic...I checked and lo and behold when connected to the guest network other devices on the network CANNOT be seen as was my initial expectation before seeing this option.   So the indication is incorrect and I am not even to select this if I did want to!   Running  2.7.3.22.

Although the firmware release number may be the same, the actual code can be different between models of Orbi.  For example, the original Orbi featured three sets of radios (one 2.4G and two 5G).  The RBK13 system has only two sets of radios (and also has a lower price). And, the original Orbi had numerous optional settings, possibly because back in 2016 the engineers were not entirely certain how things like Beamforming, MIMO, and Fast Roaming would function under different conditions.  Later Orbi product removed some of those options.

It could be that the consensus became, "nobody wants guest devices to see other devices on the network. Just set it that way."

The user manual for my RBR50 clearly shows that option.

The user manual for the RBR750 does not mention it.

Page 78 of the RBR10 user manual says this option is "cleared by default".

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK12/RBK12_13_14_UM_EN.pdf 

Message 3 of 15
dl42
Aspirant

Sorry for any misunderstanding but there is an option to either allow or disallow guests to see the rest of the network.

Normally you would not want to guests to see the rest of the network - that in my view is the whole point of the guest network.

My real issue here is that what it says in the GUI and the reality do not match!

"Allow guests to see each other" option is selected and greyed out for my guest network.  The reality is that is not the case!

So the GUI is misleading and inaccurate!

Message 4 of 15
dl42
Aspirant

I agree with you and the consensus....my issue is (as mentioned in my previous reply) the GUI information is inaccurate and hence misleading.

Message 5 of 15
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello dl42,

Please ensure that the device you are accessing the GUI from is on your main network. The "Allow guests to see each other" should not be greyed out. From the main network, you should be able to toggle this setting. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 6 of 15
dl42
Aspirant

I am accessing the router from the wired network.

Please see picture attached to original post.

The option is greyed out and cannot be toggled.

Message 7 of 15
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi dl42,

I was unable to recreate the greyed-out "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" option that you are experiencing with your RBK13 system. Please try factory resetting your RBK13.  

For information on factory resetting your device please navigate to the link below:

https://kb.netgear.com/000034592/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 8 of 15
dl42
Aspirant

Neither upgrade to 2.7.4.24 nor full factory reset change anything.

Message 9 of 15
dl42
Aspirant

Ok this is now far more serious...Just tested my guest network at it has access to everything on the network, NAS, printer etc.

So the upgrade to 2.7.4.24 breaks the guest networking completely and there is no option to be able to stop seeing other devices on the network when on the guest network - so what is the point of the guest network?

See attached image.

Message 10 of 15
dl42
Aspirant

Just been told by netgear support that guest network is not supported in AP mode.

Strange how I have been using for 18months - 2years and now it does not work and not supported even though it is there and present in the interface to configure and select.

That is just plain dangerous and misleading for those that do not double check the capability is working as one would expect.

Message 11 of 15
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dl42,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. 

I will let my team know about this issue!!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 12 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@dl42 wrote:

what is the point of the guest network?

One point could be to have a more "user friendly" (and perhaps a bit less secure) WiFi password to give to people who visit. Also one that can be changed at will without having to reconfigure those dozens of devices that need to remain connected to WiFi all the time.

This has always been one of the consequences of putting Orbi routers into Access Point mode.

Message 13 of 15
dl42
Aspirant

it was a rhetorical question in the context that if devices connected to the guest network can still see all the other devices........

Message 14 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry.  A bit OCD today.

Netgear did  not do us any favors in the knowledge base article about AP mode:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Disabled-Features-on-the-Orbi-when-set-to-AP-Mode 

The statement reads: "Guest Network" when what it really means is that the ability to restrict access of Guest WiFi users is not supported in AP mode.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7