Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK23 changes topology and satellites drop.

Flyersman
Follower

RBK23 changes topology and satellites drop.

So I have had the RBK23 for a few months now but just opened the box as we moved into our new house. I have had so many issues since installing it's driving me crazy.

The house is wired for Cat 6 in most locations all feeding to a closet on the 2nd floor. The house is about 3600sqft but WiFi is really needed mostly in central locations.

I setup the RBR20 router upstairs in my office where my cable modem is. I then setup a Satellite in the media room directly below the study so the Satellite is probably 15ft directly below.

I then setup a Satellite in the living room which is probably 40 ft from the media room on 1st floor. It's also probably still in range of the upstairs study router.

Originally I did my setup earlier with the stock firmware completely wireless and not using Ethernet backhaul. The topology showed up as star with each connecting to the main router. Later today I then came home and the topology was daisy chained.

I noticed that some of my devices we're connected to either the router or the furthest satellite so their signal was weak.

I figured I hadn't updated the firmware so I did that to 2.3.1.58

This is when all my problems started.
Some of my satellites are dropping out as shown in the Daisy chain configuration below. It also shows the week device attached to the router even though satellite 1 is within a few feet of it.
https://imgur.com/a/aUzGvzs

Next I figured why don't I backhaul satellite 2 with the Ethernet. That is when the system went completely nuts. It keeps switching between star and daisy chain topology. Some of the satelittes keep going out, etc. You can see multiple pictures of issues over the last hour. Devices keep dropping as well
https://imgur.com/a/E1BmNHa

Any help would be great. Move to a mesh thinking it was going to be amazing and all I have is issues now.

Also a few questions.

1. Does Orbi learn and will it overtime optimize and move devices to the best connection that are stationary like TVs.

2. If I'm out back with my cell phone and move to the front yard will my phone automatically switch to the best satellite?

3. Will topology stabilize as it optimizes itself?
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK23 changes topology and satellites drop.

If both remote locations are wired to the modem location with Cat6, you are better off to purchase an inexpensive gigabit switch, connect the one LAN port on the RBR20 to the switch and both satellites to the switch.  (Not having a prewired house, I have not done this myself.)  My understanding is that you should first sync the satellites using the WiFi backhaul so that they 'know each other', then move to the remote location and connect over ethernet.  It may take quite some time to transition to ethernet.  Disable Daisy Chain on the router.  That should solve the topology problem.

Devices decide what access point offers the best connection and when the connection has degraded to the point that they want to switch.  It is a continuing issue on the forum.  People want the Orbi to say, "hey dummy, you would be better off connected over there, so move already."  Some devices just make dumb decisions.  With things that cannot move, such as TV's, using an ethernet connection back to that switch is a great solution.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7