Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK30 - Breaks My Network

katarakt
Follower

RBK30 - Breaks My Network

So I've been using the Orbi for a little over half a year.  And we've had our problems with firmware updates.  But we've always worked around the issues and gotten along.  Until now.  I've finally had it.  I'm kicking the Orbi out of the house.  Beyond the ridiculous rolling back to a previous firmware because too much was broken by the updates, we've now entered the realm of the hardware losing ALL settings on a power cycle.   ***********If I lose power to the Orbi, I have to completely set it up again.  It does not retain ANY settings.************

In addition to the above, the Orbi keeps breaking my whole network.  I have a pretty advanced home network.  I have a separate router that is managed with extensive QOS settings.  I'm not willing to give this up.  So I've TRIED to use the Orbi in bridge mode.  What a joke.  It doesn't seem to "respect" the bridge mode setting, choosing to function as a DHCP router.  So when the Orbi screws up the IP addresses and starts conflicting with all my actual router IP assigned addresses, everything just breaks.  Very frustrating.  

Anyone else experienced these troubles?  Maybe I have bad hardware?

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
st_shaw
Master

Re: RBK30 - Breaks My Network

@katarakt wrote:

So I've been using the Orbi for a little over half a year.  And we've had our problems with firmware updates.  But we've always worked around the issues and gotten along.  Until now.  I've finally had it.  I'm kicking the Orbi out of the house.  Beyond the ridiculous rolling back to a previous firmware because too much was broken by the updates, we've now entered the realm of the hardware losing ALL settings on a power cycle.   ***********If I lose power to the Orbi, I have to completely set it up again.  It does not retain ANY settings.************

In addition to the above, the Orbi keeps breaking my whole network.  I have a pretty advanced home network.  I have a separate router that is managed with extensive QOS settings.  I'm not willing to give this up.  So I've TRIED to use the Orbi in bridge mode.  What a joke.  It doesn't seem to "respect" the bridge mode setting, choosing to function as a DHCP router.  So when the Orbi screws up the IP addresses and starts conflicting with all my actual router IP assigned addresses, everything just breaks.  Very frustrating.  

Anyone else experienced these troubles?  Maybe I have bad hardware?

I use Orbi in "Access Point" (AP) mode with a third party router.  I assume that's what you mean by bridge mode.  I have no problem with IP conflicts.  My third-party router manages all the LAN IP addresses, including static reservations for the Orbi devices and all other network clients.

IP conflicts due to Orbi should not happen with Orbi in AP mode, as the Orbi DHCP server is not active.

Maybe the problem is not Orbi.  I would check and make sure none of your devices have IPs hard-coded on the devices (including Orbi itself), and ensure your router manages all your IP addresses.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7